Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 4,017 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy and I've always been pretty independent. I don't like to depend on others for anything and I do not delegate personal decisions on anyone - from the car I drive to the shirt I'm wearing - I make my own decisions.

I've got a busy job and there are two women I have sex with on occasion. It's really just for sex since they've got nothing to do with me personality wise.

Most of the time I enjoy being single and realise how fortunate I am for not having to deal with all the troubles and expectations that come with a serious relationship. The rest of the time, I'm usually too busy to care about this.

However, there are some days when work has been so tough and draining, that I get home and sit on the sofa feeling completely empty. At that moment, all I want is someone to hug me, to snuggle up with, to lean into. Nothing about sex, really just affection.

I usually feel ridiculous and less of a man for feeling this way when I've got pretty much all I want. Is this acceptable for a man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 02:59 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,863,645 times
It is acceptable. I suggest you get a dog, or possibly a cat. A goldfish might be more your type, but they don't like to cuddle.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:04 PM

277 posts, read 773,449 times
Maybe you don't have everything you want anymore. People grow up and needs change. Of course this is acceptable. It's quite normal, actually.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:21 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
only very occasionally, maybe once a year like a birthday. the rest of the time, he shpuld be shamed harshly publicly or online for being a wuss

Old 10-05-2019, 03:24 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
You sound totally normal to me.

Has someone told you at some point that it's not? Because clearly they're the ones with the issue, not you.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Perfectly normal. I’m the same way but without the benefit of two willing women for occasional sex. The closest I have is a full body pillow but that is far from an adequate substitute.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
There are professional huggers out there, who make a living filling this very need.

Of course it is acceptable to need affection. It is a basic human need, common to most.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Maybe you have some idea that you're not human and therefore it is wrong to have completely normal human feelings?

When a guy asks stuff like then I wonder how a woman could ever relate to them and how he could relate to her...like how many guys are complete robots and for those who are, then they have no business even thinking about relationships beyond fbuddies.

You though, seem to have a tiny bit of emotional need that goes beyond what you're currently doing. Now, if you can also fathom offering similar support to a woman who occasionally needs a hug, then you may just be relationship material! Tread carefully!

Old 10-05-2019, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe you have some idea that you're not human and therefore it is wrong to have completely normal human feelings?

When a guy asks stuff like then I wonder how a woman could ever relate to them and how he could relate to her...like how many guys are complete robots and for those who are, then they have no business even thinking about relationships beyond fbuddies.
My (few) relationships have not been very successful so far but why wouldn't I be able to relate to a woman?

Old 10-05-2019, 04:08 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
I'm a single guy and I've always been pretty independent. I don't like to depend on others for anything and I do not delegate personal decisions on anyone - from the car I drive to the shirt I'm wearing - I make my own decisions.

I've got a busy job and there are two women I have sex with on occasion. It's really just for sex since they've got nothing to do with me personality wise.

Most of the time I enjoy being single and realise how fortunate I am for not having to deal with all the troubles and expectations that come with a serious relationship. The rest of the time, I'm usually too busy to care about this.

However, there are some days when work has been so tough and draining, that I get home and sit on the sofa feeling completely empty. At that moment, all I want is someone to hug me, to snuggle up with, to lean into. Nothing about sex, really just affection.

I usually feel ridiculous and less of a man for feeling this way when I've got pretty much all I want. Is this acceptable for a man?
There are people these days, who offer a paid service of just hugs. It's not massage, it's not therapy, it's not sex: just hugs. You might try it.

Otherwise, the "troubles" and "expectations" of a relationship (expectations like--having someone to lean on and get hugs from when you need them?), aren't that much of a hassle, if you choose your partner wisely. Why are you seeing relationships only in negative terms?

It's sad that a man needs to ask if it's ok for a man to need hugs. Your definition of manhood seems very constricting. Throw off the straight-jacket, and live a fuller life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships