Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

Did anyone from Feminist mafia commented that it is unethical to publicly smear someone because a woamn is not happy with a date? I doubt it...

You know, I'm a guy. And your rants about Feminist mafia sounds, well, unhinged.

Your post kind of reminds me of this guy I used to know. He was ROTC and got married right before he was shipped off to Germany. She had a baby almost immediately. But once over there, this guy pretty much marooned her every single weekend while he ran around with his friends. After about a year of this, she wound up running off with another guy. Totally took my acquaintance by surprise.

So for the fifteen years I knew him, he kept spinning out these elaborate theories on how all women hate men, blah blah blahbity blah, when anyone with a two-digit IQ knew why his wife left him.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
And then she publicly humiliated him for not being able to read her mind by disclosing intimate details of their date for the whole world. It is apparently his fault that he couldn't read her mind.

Did anyone from Feminist mafia commented that it is unethical to publicly smear someone because a woamn is not happy with a date? I doubt it...

I know PLENTY of women, including me,(and some men) who discussed this issue to death. We all seemed to come to the conclusion that I mentioned above.

Women: Be clear in your intentions. If something makes you uncomfortable, speak up.
Men: MAKE SURE (by asking) that your date is consensual in sexual activities. Make it CLEAR to her that if she's uncomfortable at ANY POINT, she should speak up, and you will stop.

And Aziz is fine. His life wasn't ruined, no one smeared him. The whole issue actually helped to shed some light on, and elaborate on the whole consent issue, and many of us actually had some sympathy for Aziz.

And calling me or anyone else a member of the feminist mafia is an eye roller. You think you're hurting my feelings? Pffft.

The only thing that hurts my feelings, or raises any kind of angst in me about YOU is the idea that some capable women can't work where you work because they're female, and YOU don't know how to deal.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
This was over 35 years ago, and my now-husband and I would occasionally go out to lunch together when we were (equal) co-workers for two years and married to other people. There was absolutely nothing romantic or sexual going on between us then, but after we each separated from our spouses for entirely unrelated and different reasons, we got together again as friends. It was only after that -- about six months after our marriages broke up -- that we had our first actual romantic date.

So, although I know that people can have "just friendships" with people of the opposite sex, married or not, in my case, that led to something more (and we have now been married for 35 years).

Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You know, I'm a guy. And your rants about Feminist mafia sounds, well, unhinged.

Your post kind of reminds me of this guy I used to know. He was ROTC and got married right before he was shipped off to Germany. She had a baby almost immediately. But once over there, this guy pretty much marooned her every single weekend while he ran around with his friends. After about a year of this, she wound up running off with another guy. Totally took my acquaintance by surprise.

So for the fifteen years I knew him, he kept spinning out these elaborate theories on how all women hate men, blah blah blahbity blah, when anyone with a two-digit IQ knew why his wife left him.
The older I get, I just turned 50, the more I see that one of the single biggest personality defects is the lack of self-awareness. I mean just just total lack of seeing one's self in any kind of objective light.

That poster is the epitome of what I'm talking about. I'll give a young man of 25 the benefit of the doubt, I will certainly not give a man of 50 that same benefit.

Grow up shut up and learn. I've just about had enough of people's crap and I'm done. Nut up or shut up. Own your crap and do it now.

Stop blaming the world for your problems.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The older I get, I just turned 50, the more I see that one of the single biggest personality defects is the lack of self-awareness. I mean just just total lack of seeing one's self in any kind of objective light.

That poster is the epitome of what I'm talking about. I'll give a young man of 25 the benefit of the doubt, I will certainly not give a man of 50 that same benefit.

Grow up shut up and learn. I've just about had enough of people's crap and I'm done. Nut up or shut up. Own your crap and do it now.

Stop blaming the world for your problems.

Absolutely. This forum is absolutely rife with people who simply cannot be objective about a damned thing in their lives.

Either they keep making the same mistake over and over again or they can't understand how their actions affect other people.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Me personally no. Seen bad things happen at work to others yes.
What exactly were these "bad things"? Employers rarely give out any information about an ex-employee beyond dates of employment so word isn't gonna get out that way. Except in a few extreme cases that have made the news this seems to be more of an urban legend meant to make women feel guilty for saying anything. I can just hear all the guys commiserating with the poor chum... And you think all their careers will be forever ruined? Not likely.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What exactly were these "bad things"? Employers rarely give out any information about an ex-employee beyond dates of employment so word isn't gonna get out that way. Except in a few extreme cases that have made the news this seems to be more of an urban legend meant to make women feel guilty for saying anything. I can just hear all the guys commiserating with the poor chum... And you think all their careers will be forever ruined? Not likely.

Reminds me of the MANY times I SHOULD'VE gone to HR, or the EEOC, but tried to be an adult and deal with guys crossing the line. Many of my 'incidences' had to do with the same man. Many other incidences, another man, and a few more, another man. Except with the last guy, I DID go to HR. He was stalking me, and it scared me.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
I had never given this question a second thought until an experience I had this past spring. I have never cheated on my wife and my wife doesn't care if I meet up with women professionally.

I was at a professional conference in Orlando along with a few other professors and a contingent of undergraduate chemistry majors. While at the conference, I ran into a former undergraduate research student of mine who had just gotten her PhD and was starting a new academic job this fall. I had not seen her in person for 6+ years, and we had a lot to talk about including the actual science, academic career advice, and potential collaboration. At a break in the technical program, we went to the adjacent hotel restaurant to get lunch and catch up.

After lunch I went back to the conference, and I got a text from a colleague in my department who was a mentor to me when I was new. She asked if I was at the student talks and when I said yes, she said to step outside at the next break. When I stepped out, she was waiting outside. Before she could say anything, I told her "Remember S.H. from the class of 2010 who was going to graduate school out west? I saw her here and she got a job teaching at U. of __." She said "Well, that explains it, two of the undergraduates texted me saying that you left the conference and went to a hotel with some woman and they were upset about it." We had a laugh about it, but when I thought about it some more, I realized that those nosy students could have made life very difficult for me if they had posted on social media or something rather than texting my colleague who explained the situation to them.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:35 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I had never given this question a second thought until an experience I had this past spring. I have never cheated on my wife and my wife doesn't care if I meet up with women professionally.

I was at a professional conference in Orlando along with a few other professors and a contingent of undergraduate chemistry majors. While at the conference, I ran into a former undergraduate research student of mine who had just gotten her PhD and was starting a new academic job this fall. I had not seen her in person for 6+ years, and we had a lot to talk about including the actual science, academic career advice, and potential collaboration. At a break in the technical program, we went to the adjacent hotel restaurant to get lunch and catch up.

After lunch I went back to the conference, and I got a text from a colleague in my department who was a mentor to me when I was new. She asked if I was at the student talks and when I said yes, she said to step outside at the next break. When I stepped out, she was waiting outside. Before she could say anything, I told her "Remember S.H. from the class of 2010 who was going to graduate school out west? I saw her here and she got a job teaching at U. of __." She said "Well, that explains it, two of the undergraduates texted me saying that you left the conference and went to a hotel with some woman and they were upset about it." We had a laugh about it, but when I thought about it some more, I realized that those nosy students could have made life very difficult for me if they had posted on social media or something rather than texting my colleague who explained the situation to them.
Jeez, what people do is none of anyone's business really. If two consenting adults wanna go hammer one out how is it any of those kids business??

Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

You can't let people control you via the threat of their own ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships