Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When I was in my 20s I was out having fun, and my married friends were envious because they felt like they were missing out on the dating scene. They were stuck at home changing diapers. I also got to experience relationships with different men and not be stuck with the same person in my youth. A lot of excitement and change during those years. I really don't recommend that anyone marry before age 30 unless they are just dying to start a family OR they meet a truly wonderful person that they can live an exciting life with.
I can agree with this. I think people should weigh their decisions before they make them. My best friend is going to grad school online and trying to start a business, while pregnant, and with two kids already. She is married, but she says her husband isn't business oriented and not really good with finances. She doesn't even trust him enough to add him as a beneficiary. She rationalizes it by saying she's just doing what she has to do. I just listen to her.

So I completely disagree with that other poster, that grad school is easier with an S/O. Not always. For me it would be a huge distraction and potential complications could come up. I rather focus on one thing at a time. For me, securing a career is more important than finding a mate. The process is too unpredictable and unstable to rely on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 04:36 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Default Is it weird to be 30 and single?

Yes.

Under certain circumstances yes.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:05 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
If you are 30 years old and single, is that weird? The reason why I ask this is because I’m going to be in grad school until I’m 27, and I am not going to be in any hurry to find anyone from there. I’m going to be busy getting my career going. I also feel that there are so many things that I wanna do and so much money that I need to make before I can be with someone.
Silly kids, if you have time to post on this forum you have time for a relationship. If you can't find a balance between work life and personal life then find a class that can guide you. People make these grand stances but everything flies out the window when you become smitten with someone...

Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Silly kids, if you have time to post on this forum you have time for a relationship. If you can't find a balance between work life and personal life then find a class that can guide you. People make these grand stances but everything flies out the window when you become smitten with someone...
Totally not true. A couple of minutes to post here is not indicative of having enough time to have a GOOD relationship. One can try to balance work, school, and a relationship, but the likelihood of at least one suffering is very high. I know from experience. There is doing something then there is doing something WELL.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:26 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Totally not true. A couple of minutes to post here is not indicative of having enough time to have a GOOD relationship. One can try to balance work, school, and a relationship, but the likelihood of at least one suffering is very high. I know from experience. There is doing something then there is doing something WELL.
You are SO very right.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:36 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah... because it's known that a person will zip into a site or the www or phone, make a nonsensical post then return to an o'so hectic life. You are undoubtedly lollygagging right now...

I've done it all, and very well I might add. So again, if you can't balance then find some help. Get off the internet perhaps

Excuses excuses.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Yeah... because it's known that a person will zip into a site or the www or phone, make a nonsensical post then return to an o'so hectic life. You are undoubtedly lollygagging right now...

I've done it all, and very well I might add. So again, if you can't balance then find some help. Get off the internet perhaps

Excuses excuses.
Hello?! I actually finished grad school by now. That’s why I have free time.

Maybe you’ve done it all before at the same time, maybe you are embellishing, either way bully for you. How many hours did you work a week BTW? How many dates were you available for? How hard was your program? Your experience does not match everyone else’s. Most cannot handle all three at the same time WELL and at PEAK performance.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:19 AM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
If you are 30 years old and single, is that weird? The reason why I ask this is because I’m going to be in grad school until I’m 27, and I am not going to be in any hurry to find anyone from there. I’m going to be busy getting my career going. I also feel that there are so many things that I wanna do and so much money that I need to make before I can be with someone.
It is not weird at all. Basic marriage statistics in the US show people are getting married later. That said it is not the best idea to wait until you finish school to find a partner, especially if you are a woman. The best time to meet people the most similiar to you is in grad school or undergrad. Once you are done with school you will get sucked into a routine and it becomes harder to meet people organically.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Don't worry about society's expectations. Live you life and be happy!
This is exactly right. You should never let preconceived notions about where you "should be" in life based on stupid society's "rules" ruin your life. Because honestly, it's not them living your life, it's you. Each one of us individually makes our own choices about how to proceed in life and we should do what we know will make us happy (as long as it's legal and not hurting anyone, of course).

So therefore, conduct your life in such a way that it makes you happy. And don't listen to the negative Nellie's who tell you you're wrong. You're only wrong if it feels wrong to you. If you feel good about it then keep calm and carry on!

Old 11-14-2019, 06:50 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
I guess the question you may ask yourself, or I would if I were you, is do I care if others consider it "weird" or am I prepared to do what *I* want and need. If I could not answer yes to that question, I would be pursuing how to get myself to a yes to that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships