Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 AM

153 posts, read 219,280 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear about stories (especially MIL related) where moving away DID provide some relief and made things 10x better.

We are neighbors with my in-laws now and my MIL is..well..I don't even have to type it out..She's THAT MIL..and not just by a little bit but a LOT..Wants to play mom/wife/matriarch and has a jealous side.

I'm ready to explode. PLEASE someone tell me that moving a few thousand miles away and creating your OWN nuclear family was the answer to your problems (at least somewhat) and made things better (lol)

I live in a city I can't stand..Extra expensive..and not family friendly..crime..bad schools..so I've been wanting to move for years anyway..and won't lie..I'm looking forward to potentially only having to see her maybe 3 times per year (crossing my fingers)..

Husband wouldn't be able to take off much more than for us to see her once per year and I'll have to suck it up and let her come visit..a week max..I was going to say 2 weeks but she takes minutes to annoy you..and she annoys a LOT of people..not just me.

PLEASE TELL ME A FAIRYTALE (LOL)

Actually..I'm really curious to see if moving away and establishing your OWN independent family and being completely free from in-laws as an adult helped your marriage/family/life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Seems like the ideal solution. Not much better than long distances to help in tolerating obnoxious family members.

Why would you think this wouldn't be anything but a great idea?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
You are not alone, ALL women hate their mother's in law.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You are not alone, ALL women hate their mother's in law.
A good portion can't seem to stand them and I think MOST of that has to do with MILs disliking them for whatever reason (You took my son away...I'm no longer the #1 female..) and them wanting to poke their nose where it doesn't belong.

You have some really amazing women and the other half are jealous/insecure and it sure comes out once they become grandmas/MILs..Just a struggle for them..

Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Seems like the ideal solution. Not much better than long distances to help in tolerating obnoxious family members.

Why would you think this wouldn't be anything but a great idea?
I don't..but I wonder if I'm being realistic haha! Just trying to prepare myself for other scenarios before they can happen and get a heads up ;-)

I really would just like to love my MIL from afar. She's extremely intrusive and almost ALL of our fighting/marital problems are due to her/center around her.

As adults, I think it's time she's the hell out of the equation. My parents aren't in my marriage or family decision making process..nobody needs to be..Especially not husband's mommy.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 153,623 times
Move away from your in-laws. If your husband is unwilling, get a divorce.

It's extremely unhealthy to a marriage when one spouse's parents live in the same house or just down the road. Especially when they're the type that don't know how to butt out and mind their own business. Whenever conflict arises in the marriage, the parents take their kid's side and the other spouse feels ganged up on.

Do you have flexibility on where you move or is this an A/B choice between staying where you're at and moving to a specific location thousands of miles away? Because moving several hours away but still within a day's drive offers a good compromise with your husband. If he's not willing to entertain that idea because he can't live that far from mommy, he's not ready for marriage. Get a divorce.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I don't see why this is even a question.

My husband and I built our lives and family thousands of miles away from in-laws, just like our parents did before us. What's the big deal?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 AM

308 posts, read 445,747 times
I'm a guy, but I actually get along great with my mother in law. It's her daughter that gives me all the grief!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:00 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Why has your husband not established better boundaries with her up to now???

Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Joad View Post
Move away from your in-laws. If your husband is unwilling, get a divorce.

It's extremely unhealthy to a marriage when one spouse's parents live in the same house or just down the road. Especially when they're the type that don't know how to butt out and mind their own business. Whenever conflict arises in the marriage, the parents take their kid's side and the other spouse feels ganged up on.

Do you have flexibility on where you move or is this an A/B choice between staying where you're at and moving to a specific location thousands of miles away? Because moving several hours away but still within a day's drive offers a good compromise with your husband. If he's not willing to entertain that idea because he can't live that far from mommy, he's not ready for marriage. Get a divorce.
I agree..We're in couples counseling because of this. He is trying and making improvements. SLOW but steady..I am trying to keep an open mind and I feel that he is not really taking on a strong husband role because of his mom's constant influence and interference (they live above us--best part is..we freaking RENT from them..)

I have not been happy about this situation for years and once we got married and had babies (surprise..huge surprises lol) she became almost unbearable..Constant power struggle..Wants to be my kids mom and I'm pretty secure in myself but I was infuriated when she tried to play it off like "I think you have a problem with the special relationship I have with your son..I don't want you to be one of those daughter in laws who dislikes the MIL and thinks bad things about them.." My jaw just dropped..I was just like ready to explode..

How dare her be all these things and try to make me look bad. I am MANY things..impatient..moody even..but jealous/insecure..absolutely not. To me, it's petty energy..I'm too grown for it and always have been.

Husband has a good job and we continue to fight and not move because we cannot agree where to move..The counselor said she'd address this in a few weeks as we improve on our communication/resolution skills.

ALL of his suggestions are CLOSE TO HIS MOM..ultimately..

My parents live across the country..2,500+ miles away..I'd love to live where they are because it's gorgeous (SoCal) and we'd still have family to help..and my mom is absolutely NOT a factor in our marriage nor butts in where she shouldn't..However..I am open to just about ANYWHERE else that's best for us as a family.

My thing is..if he can move a 1-3 hours away..WHY can't he move further? WHY do we need to settle within hours of his mom?

I'm tired of the snow and being stuck inside during winters..and suffering seasonal depression..and I just do NOT need nor desire to base the rest of my life off of having to be within driving distance with his parents.

Things are NICE when his mom isn't around. I'm woman enough to not exclude her but she's just a big ass agitator in our relationship..and I don't feel a man can step into his manhood and develop into the husband he may even want to be when a helicopter mom is nearby.

I am willing to move somewhere neither of our families are..Because my priority is our marriage/kids.

We'd both love to have family only as childcare..but unless we move near my parents..that won't be a choice..and he struggles with that.

We won't have date nights and stuff..not nearly as often..but I feel like all the "good" she does do..comes with SOOOOO many strings attached and has not been worth it.

I rather sacrifice and not have as much "help" and have our own family and be our own team.

Again..if he can move 1-3 hours away..he'd have to find a new job..my Q to him is..why can't you find a new job in another nicer, cheaper, sunnier state that doesn't need to be within a drive (or even short plane ride) of your mom?

I just had our 2nd baby and just started working so I hope we head this direction..in 6 months..if not..I will give an ultimatum and divorce..only thing that stopped me from divorcing is that it would be a few more battles for custody AND to fight in court for me to relocate with our kids as I don't want to be stuck here in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships