Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Hypothetical statement:
Husband cheats = He's just a POS cheater who betrayed his wife
Wife cheats = She must not have been getting her needs fulfilled emotionally

Does anyone believe that there is generally a greater perception of empathy towards a wife that cheats?

Actually, I don't have a lot of sympathy in either situation.

Also, you're implying sexism toward men AND women, in your statement. It's like you're saying men are a POS, and women just can't help it. And if women can't help it when it comes to cheating, than women can't help it in any situation that needs commitment and trustworthiness.

I don't buy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 09:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am from overseas and generally we are way more liberal than Americans when it comes to cheating.
The divorce rate is also much lower.

It probably comes down to the puritanical history of the US, so Americans have a uniquely conservative take on infidelity.
Most Europeans see it as an imperfection, and not something worth destroying your marriage over. Perhaps we just show more compassionate accommodation of our unruly desires?
I guess we don't have the standard assumption that an affair is a symptom either of marital dysfunction or of some pathology on the part of the perpetrator.

Does that apply to men AND women? Is it as acceptable for a married woman to find a lover, as it is for the husband?

Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
Quote:
It probably comes down to the puritanical history of the US, so Americans have a uniquely conservative take on infidelity.
Most Europeans see it as an imperfection, and not something worth destroying your marriage over.
Very true, that whole Charles-Diana thing was ever so sophisticated. LOL!

Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:

Most Europeans see it as an imperfection, and not something worth destroying your marriage over. Perhaps we just show more compassionate accommodation of our unruly desires?
I guess we don't have the standard assumption that an affair is a symptom either of marital dysfunction or of some pathology on the part of the perpetrator.

I just really haven't seen this.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Hypothetical statement:
Husband cheats = He's just a POS cheater who betrayed his wife
Wife cheats = She must not have been getting her needs fulfilled emotionally

Does anyone believe that there is generally a greater perception of empathy towards a wife that cheats?
Not really. If anything I hear "Boys will be boys!" But if a woman cheats she is Skank of the World.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Not really. If anything I hear "Boys will be boys!" But if a woman cheats she is Skank of the World.
A man cannot deceive his spouse into supporting, nurturing, and providing for child that is not his. A woman can and often do. As they say:

-- Maternity is a matter of fact and paternity is a matter of opinion. --

The studies are all over the place with most placing is at between 9% to 32% of duped fathers not being the biological parent of a child they think is their own (personally I think the number is much lower, around 3%).

Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
A man cannot deceive her spouse into supporting, nurturing, and providing for child that is not hers. A woman can and often do. As they say:

“Maternity is a matter of fact, whereas paternity is a matter of opinion.”

The studies are all over the place with most placing is at between 9% to 32% of duped father not being the biological parent of a child they think is their own (personally I think the number is much lower, around 3%).
I have heard that too. Im not taking sides. A woman who tricks a man into 18 years of support for a child that is not his, is a horrible person.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
A man cannot deceive his spouse into supporting, nurturing, and providing for child that is not his. A woman can and often do. As they say:

The studies are all over the place with most placing is at between 9% to 32% of duped fathers not being the biological parent of a child they think is their own (personally I think the number is much lower, around 3%).
I'll see you a duped father and raise you a deadbeat dad who knocks up his side piece and deserts his first family while being a stellar father to the child conceived via adultery.

In any case, OP, we can create biased hypotheticals all day long, from all points of view. Your hypothetical is not any more universally accepted or correct than the one I gave above.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:53 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
No there isn't!

Me to husband, "Cheat, you die!"
Husband to me, "Cheat you die!"

Old 10-16-2019, 02:27 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

I thought we were talking about sex not pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships