Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,302,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Separate account, both have access. I think a joint account could be a nightmare, depending on state laws. Creditors could sue and get a judgement against a joint account, if one spouse passes away and has debt. That could happen sometimes with individual accounts but it’s difficult and depends on the type of debt.
I don't think that could happen in my state. I live in the most debtor-friendly state in the US and putting accounts and houses in both spouse's name gives them protection from a creditor going after one of the spouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,287,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
My husband and I keep separate accounts.

He makes 3x the money I make, so he pays most of the bills. I buy the groceries, and I pay the insurance on my car.

I mostly buy stuff for the home. Say I want a new bedspread, or a new rug, or a new piece of furniture...that's MY whim, and usually comes out of my pocket.

I'm married to a REALLY generous man. When we go out, he always pays. Yes, I have offered, and he usually turns me down.
So sweet.

My husband and I have a shared account so it's really both of our $$ @ the end of the day, but sometimes he will surprise me with lil things here & there, especially on work trips he always comes back with something special for me

Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,594,635 times
My SO and I are not married, but just thought I would mention that we simply split the check when we go out to eat. It's no biggie.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 PM

51,922 posts, read 52,325,695 times
We have our own separate accounts but have online access to each others accounts. We have between us five checking/saving accounts, all sorta tied together. We use certain accounts for certain things.

Whatever works for each couple is how it should go.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:22 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,322,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Any married couples here have separate bank accounts? A good friend of mine and her husband have their own
My wife and I have talked about it ourselves and we are considering it.

What’s tends to be the pros and cons for this? Do you take turns paying when you go out to eat, etc?
We have joint and separate accounts. I wouldn't fathom not having at least one joint account. But ever good [girl ]knows, you always have to have a little something tucked away.

Now what's really weird are the [married] couples with no joint accounts and really no intermingling of funds. I know someone who asked her friends and family for money when her husband wouldn't give it to her... or she would have to pay him back. I sat her down and berated her, lovingly of course, before I loaned her the money myself.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,191,168 times
Both ex's and I had a separate personal account and then a shared house account for bills, etc

Old 10-17-2019, 04:22 PM

101 posts, read 48,868 times
Have a seperate bank account from the wife.
Almost every bill comes out of mine; she only works very part-time.
She also has a low limit credit card with her bank; besides the other uses, I guess it also helps her with having some sort of credit rating

Also am on a joint account with one of my parents accounts (up until this year they were wintering in Arizona; could deposit any cheques that weren't fowarded to the Arizona address and arrived at their house. Plus I have access in case anything happened with their house while they were gone, or if something happened to the both of them, etc.)

Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,143,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Now what's really weird are the [married] couples with no joint accounts and really no intermingling of funds. I know someone who asked her friends and family for money when her husband wouldn't give it to her... or she would have to pay him back. I sat her down and berated her, lovingly of course, before I loaned her the money myself.
How kind of you to berate her. Sheesh.

Maybe the reason they don't mingle money is because she's bad with it. If she can't pay her bills or has to borrow money more than once, maybe she's trying to live beyond her means.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Everything we have is together. We have no separate accounts other than some retiremen5 stuff but we’re each other’s beneficiaries

Old 10-17-2019, 04:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,302,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
That is strange, he wouldn't help her with money? And he's her spouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships