Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 12:53 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Surrender, Dorothy.

Move along and meet others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which is what most of us said last week. Damn, this is simple.
Simple, but not always easy. Thats the thing.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
she lives 2 hours away during the week to be her grandmom and comes to my area to live with friends. So she is not working right now and has unstable housing was not going to make it a big deal.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
This woman is an excuse machine. Learn when to fish and when to cut bait. Don’t be so methodical, just be yourself and have fun.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Surrender, Dorothy.

Move along and meet others.
i have already exchange numbers with a new woman so i have moved on. Me and her ran out of time

Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Simple, but not always easy. Thats the thing.

Super easy, actually.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 PM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times
It's simple if a person has zero emotions.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The issue is that there is a point where it's too soon to invest big feelings, yet some do it anyways because they're lonely and looking for someone, anyone, to latch their hopes onto.

Timberline says in more recent responses, and I agree, that basically the normal/chill/sane way to go about this is:

- You've connected, and had one pleasant date. It would be nice if it worked out.
- But then some stuff happened and life demanded that the lady divert her attention elsewhere.

or

- She maybe started making excuses not to meet.

(But I think it's more likely the former...I mean, the flu is a thing, people get sick, and "oh NOW it's grandma, jeez, just block me"...wtf? OP are you unaware that the flu is contagious?)

The issue is getting emotionally spun up over someone you barely know. Yes, it would be nice if everything went smoothly and it all worked out from the get-go, but LIFE HAPPENS. This woman should not be expecting this near-stranger to put his entire dating life on hold for her while she tends to this flu outbreak in her life, he could be meeting others and going about his business. Instead, he's spent days fussing and fretting over whether she is telling the truth about being sick, or lying (for some reason?) When either way, the correct course of action is the same...as Timber said, "I sure hope you feel better soon, get in touch when you're well if you'd like to go on another date, I had a great time and would love to see you again when that is possible!" And then go on with your freaking life.

And it all comes back to this "comfort of controlled failure" thing. The minute some dudes feel an ounce of hope that their loneliness might come to an end and this time...this time...maybe it'll work out... They start looking for reasons that it's just another failed attempt. That cynical, "I knew it. I knew it wouldn't work. She's probably lying and playing games. Just like the rest. Women!" Round and round it goes, for many of our struggle-bros here, for YEARS AND YEARS. We hear the same story over and over. "I met this woman, and we had a first date and it went really well!" And then a week later, "Well she had the flu," or "She says she's got this event she has to deal with" or "She's working long hours" and the insistence that because she dares to have a life other than him, she must be a lying, game playing so-and-so.

Like, it couldn't be that she actually has a life? And how dare she not put literally every single other thing on the backburner, even her health somehow, in order to make sure this man she just met, has his needs seen to...like that new connection is somehow supposed to be her highest priority in the whole world? A stranger, should be more important than her job, her existing obligations, her Grandma's health, her own health? The feeling is that the guy is saying, "Dating is a life or death imperative to me, and if I don't think it is for you, then I'm OUTTA HERE!"

The vibe is that these guys are eager to euthanize any connection, because the faintest hint of uncertainty is unbearable. It's better to cut bait, than to just chill out and let it be and maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. And that's where this weirdly high level of investment is in evidence. It's so...all or nothing.

And to be honest, while yes in a relationship that has had the time to become...a relationship...which after a date and some texts, it most certainly is NOT an invested relationship...I will make my partner a high priority. The fact that I would not do so for every bozo I've just met, doesn't mean I won't once we are a Thing. But even then, he is not my ONLY priority. And if I am sick, or a relative is sick, or my work is placing demands on me, or whatever, then I am gonna need him to not wig out about it, and to understand that I am a whole person with a life, including obligations besides him.

I feel like I have said everything I wanted to on this issue, but I also want to check in with you to make sure you feel like you have been heard and understood.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's simple if a person has zero emotions.
Precisely.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, I can't read through 16 (!) pages of this dreck, but maybe just maybe if you had one date and thought it went well, then she said "I can't go out with you now because I'm sick as a dog" - MAYBE, just MAYBE - she's just sick as a dog?

Maybe bring her some hot chicken soup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships