Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times

Advertisements

First, this is not to bash/undermine single mothers/dads. I am simply asking for some perspective. I am always analyzing and just as some are interested in science or history, I am interested in human/social dynamics.

So, I have a couple buddies in their mid 30s, who came to Tampa to visit for the Veteran's Holiday, and are in hopes of possibly moving here soon. That being said they have been on OLD sites just to have an idea of what Tampa has to offer. To their surprise, and I don't know if it is area specific, but they have noticed quite a few single mothers readily selfying with their children. We are not talking about low income either. Evidently, I have read that single dads are just as bad.

However, from the both of them, they came across quite a few profiles stating that the women have children, and while their children came first, they often stated that "we, as in mother and children, wouldn't mind making space for a king". Of course not all were of the same, but many were eerily similar.

Again, not to bash single parents and I don't know if it is a Florida thing, but to put your kids out there so quickly? Don't women realize that this type of delivery is an automatic turnoff for men? Yes, being honest about having children is key. But to collectively involve them is somewhat unusual.

Although my wife being from Europe, I know for a fact that if she and I were to ever separate, she would never collectively involve my children, let alone have them on a dating site. I would have issues with her even entertaining the idea of posting my children on dating sites

So, what gives? Why have the children so readily upfront? Is this an American thing? Is there a culture shift that promotes this new approach for single parents?

Again, just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
People use bad judgment all the time online.

I was reading about this phenomenon the other day, about how it can attract pedophiles who want access to your kids, and one article said that men do this 3-1 over women.

I’m sure y’all weren’t looking at men’s profiles though.

Was this on Tinder?

Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I was reading about this phenomenon the other day, about how it can attract pedophiles who want access to your kids, and one article said that men do this 3-1 over women.

Was this on Tinder?
I see men do this all of the time on dating apps. I’d say only 25% blur or tackily scribble their kids face out. I guess that’s better than identifying them...I don’t know what the hell’s going on with people either.

I guess a woman is less likely to be a predator looking for a guy with kids, but still...what’s with the family photo? How many get past a first date to even meet the family?

I was at the opposite extreme, I didn’t date until my daughter was off to college, and I didn’t miss out on anything either.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
My take: women are saying “I’ve got kids and if I have to choose between you or the kids, the kids win. Don’t respond if you can’t accept that.”

Men are saying “Oh look at me. I’m a caring Dad. I’m not a deadbeat.”

Old 11-09-2019, 04:25 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Agree that it’s weird/unacceptable to post your kids’ pic on your dating profile, but find it almost as appalling that they say they, “have room for a king.” What the hell is that?!

Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
First, this is not to bash/undermine single mothers/dads. I am simply asking for some perspective. I am always analyzing and just as some are interested in science or history, I am interested in human/social dynamics.

So, I have a couple buddies in their mid 30s, who came to Tampa to visit for the Veteran's Holiday, and are in hopes of possibly moving here soon. That being said they have been on OLD sites just to have an idea of what Tampa has to offer. To their surprise, and I don't know if it is area specific, but they have noticed quite a few single mothers readily selfying with their children. We are not talking about low income either. Evidently, I have read that single dads are just as bad.

However, from the both of them, they came across quite a few profiles stating that the women have children, and while their children came first, they often stated that "we, as in mother and children, wouldn't mind making space for a king". Of course not all were of the same, but many were eerily similar.

Again, not to bash single parents and I don't know if it is a Florida thing, but to put your kids out there so quickly? Don't women realize that this type of delivery is an automatic turnoff for men? Yes, being honest about having children is key. But to collectively involve them is somewhat unusual.

Although my wife being from Europe, I know for a fact that if she and I were to ever separate, she would never collectively involve my children, let alone have them on a dating site. I would have issues with her even entertaining the idea of posting my children on dating sites

So, what gives? Why have the children so readily upfront? Is this an American thing? Is there a culture shift that promotes this new approach for single parents?

Again, just curious...
For me, I could not care less what may be a turn off for some men. I was talking with one guy whose voice tone was half apologetic about not being able to get together because he had his kids. I was like, you know, I am a parent too. I am get it. I am not going to see some guy who is going to get butt hurt like a man-child that I have responsibilities.

I would not put my kids pictures up with me on a dating site for their privacy. But I have seen men whose pictures include their (grown or mostly grown) kids and grand kids. Yah I am that old. It is part of the life they are leading. I am not sure what collectively involving them means. Like are they going on our dates with us? Of course not. No one would enjoy that, nor would it be appropriate. But I am a single Mom with 70% physical custody. They are a very real part of my life. And if someone does not want that, they should know and make that decision right away. No foul. And if it is a turn off, and they do in fact go away or never show up, so much the better.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Was this on Tinder?
I won't lie. I find tinder super baffling. It is like its own weird ethos.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:42 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Pedophiles love to search out women with children. The women don’t see it that way.....they want daddy prospects. Another bad choice.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Agree that it’s weird/unacceptable to post your kids’ pic on your dating profile, but find it almost as appalling that they say they, “have room for a king.” What the hell is that?!
Finding myself divorced as I am, I am looking for a new male, father role, provider role. Plug and play role thing. I am speculating of course. But...

Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
I think people post those sorts of photos because they don't think about the possible bad people online. I use myself as example, I would have thought nothing of putting a completely blurred (just for privacy and them not being old enough to consent) picture on an OLD profile before I frequented CDr. But since joining this family a few years ago, I can't see myself wanting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships