Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 06:51 PM

96 posts, read 87,067 times

Advertisements

I am 28 years old my girlfriend and I broke up and its been 1 year go. I been working on myself and all that good stuff. I am graduating soon with a good job as a registered nurse however I feel sad for some reason. I think it mostly stems from loneliness. I don't really have lots of friends. Its not easy for me to find someone never has been. I know that they say keep working on yourself and everything will work out but its kinda depressing seeing everyone in my family around my age who are in long term relationships and I am still single. I see my facebook friends my age and they are married, have kids, or have bf/gf.

Before that 1 year relationship it was a good 6 years when I was last in a relationship. I am a pretty introverted person and most people who I have met with are the ones who have hit on me. I kind of long for that intimacy. I don't think I have real high standards or anything, but I feel like the girls that like me are not very attractive looking. I also check on my ex from time to time on social media and it makes me sad. I just hope things get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 08:00 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Graduating from school and starting your first new job is a significant life change. Its one of those things that has us looking back on our past. The anniversary of a break up can cause similar issues. Both are probably interacting to make you a little pensive.

That said dating and making friends are skills that you can get better at and I suspect that working on these skills is probably more productive than beating yourself up over your past relationships. You have learned some stuff about yourself from your past relationships and that generally means you will do a better job selecting your next girlfriend next time.

For starters you have the same 24 hours a day as everyone else. What I would try to do is schedule your day so that in your regular week, you are regularly doing things where new people are introduced to your life. I imagine that you are going to be exercising each day for good health. Ask yourself is there a way to do this in a more social fashion? So instead of joining a gym where you work out wearing earbuds and likely don't talk to anyone, look at some way to get your exercise doing something you either enjoy or at least don't hate where you meet new people. So maybe try to take Salsa class, A Tango class, CrossFit or even sign up with Teams in training to learn how to run your first marathon with a group of other people doing the same thing. Since you are a bit introverted, you probably do better in terms of meeting people in places where you get to know people over time and where you have to interact with a small group of the same people on a regular basis. Also look at say a coed softball volleyball team. Where I live, there is a company that runs a lot of these type of leagues. I suspect where you live there is something similar if you look for it.

Xoso Sport & Social League (Sacramento, CA) | Who Says Adults Can't Have Recess?

A lot of universities tend to offer outdoor education programs. Locally where I live its probably Peak Adventures, but these weekend or weeklong trips were also pretty good places where you could get to meet and get to know someone new.

Peak Adventures

Lastly look at taking classes that will both teach you be more social but also provide you another place to meet new friends. Here I am thinking possibly an improv class, but toastmaster might also work.

That gives you a start. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2019, 08:13 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If OP is becoming an RN, he will be working in an environment with a lot of women on all levels. Male RNs I knew often dated/married mental health techs (in psych hospital) or other nurses. And congratulations on making your way through the school business!

Old 10-28-2019, 05:33 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Congrats on the schooling for nurse. Soon you'll be around so many people she'll be a thing of the past. If 6 months down the line that mindset hasn't changed-maybe reach out to her and feel things out if she's available.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
dont worry, you might be better off. Don't think about all the guys she's likely getting with now. Keep focusing on your schoolwork and lifting bro. You'll find a better girlfriend eventually. maybe.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
I am 28 years old my girlfriend and I broke up and its been 1 year go. I been working on myself and all that good stuff. I am graduating soon with a good job as a registered nurse however I feel sad for some reason. I think it mostly stems from loneliness. I don't really have lots of friends. Its not easy for me to find someone never has been. I know that they say keep working on yourself and everything will work out but its kinda depressing seeing everyone in my family around my age who are in long term relationships and I am still single. I see my facebook friends my age and they are married, have kids, or have bf/gf.

Before that 1 year relationship it was a good 6 years when I was last in a relationship. I am a pretty introverted person and most people who I have met with are the ones who have hit on me. I kind of long for that intimacy. I don't think I have real high standards or anything, but I feel like the girls that like me are not very attractive looking. I also check on my ex from time to time on social media and it makes me sad. I just hope things get better
It happens. You're going to feel the fall out from a relationship end. I myself am still reeling from an end of a friendship, a FRIENDSHIP (which can be said to hurt as bad if not worse) from a year ago.

At this point, you just have to let time do its work. Continue working on you . Do everything you can to enjoy your registered nurse job. Try not to let being single get you down even in the case of others being in a relationship.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I am sorry you feel that way. Congratulations on your graduation, you have accomplished a lot. Get out there, be active, join some meetup groups or sports where you meet new people. I hope she will fade away soon and you can focus on how fun life can be.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
You are soon to be around tons of stressed out nurses, looking to relieve that stress. Enjoy.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:56 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
^^^^I concur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships