Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,311 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and provide their thoughts. I understand that I am coming across hypocritical - that is why I opened up by stating that. I guess I figured I would take it to the forums to see if anyone had recommendations on ways of thinking past the issues I'm experiencing.

And just to clarify, I didn't ask her about her past. One day we were among a group setting that was brought up. When we were on the ride home, she brought up hers. At that point I offered to discuss anything she would like in regards to mine and she declined and said she preferred not to know. (Obviously the smarter move of the two). She is not aware that it bothers me. Rather than talking to her or friends about it, I figured I would confide anonymously here.

In regards to jealousy, I am open to hearing that is what it is, but I don't personally feel that is the case. I don't know what any of her partners look like and I am not concerned in the slightest of how their "performance" was. I think this is strictly an issue with how "tight" of an upbringing I was in. Even if I don't want to view it as strictly, the truth is I went my entire childhood and teenage years being lectured on how you don't do this or that. Yes - even though I strayed away around the age of 25-26 years old

Like everyone has said, I need a reality check.

Once again, I am thankful for the time that each of you had taken to read this and to chime in.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:32 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Never, ever, ever talk about your past sex life.
Not ever. Politely refuse.
And never ask about someone else's.

I have seen careers, marriages, friendships and families destroyed by those who violate this rule.
So Just. Shut. Up.

I dunno. Secrets are corrosive. I don't believe in blabbing this stuff to just anyone, but when you're getting married then full disclosure is the only way. If you're marrying someone who is emotionally mature, they understand what is past is past. My wife knows exactly who I dated.

On the other hand, if that person has a freakout like the OP, then it's a pretty good sign that person isn't terribly secure or emotionally capable of being in a marriage or even a long-term relationship.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:34 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Wow...and this is why a woman should NEVER give her number, much less all the details behind it. YOU are so much worse than her - let her go because she doesn't deserve to be made to feel "less than" by a man.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 1,311 times
I have come here to see if anyone has dealt with a similar mindset as mine. As I have clarified, I did not ask her about her sexual past. I also have not told her that it bothers me in the slightest. I am dealing with this internally and trying to find a way to move past the thought process I am having.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Don't ask. Don't tell.

And date long enough to know all you need to know about a person's values and expectations.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
I met my first husband when I was 24 yrs old. He wanted to think I was a virgin, and I let him think it. I saw no reason to upset his apple cart.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 AM

44,345 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Duplicate topic. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.