Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I read somewhere that a journalist got offended that a government official she had planned on interviewing had asked that the interview be chaperoned in a sense. So you could say he took a noble action on the side of the MeToo movement, only to have been demonized for it. AKA the Mike Pence effect (not being in the same room...alone...with another woman).

So even if they took action favor of this cause, he was still ridiculed for it. Catch 22.
You know that the MeToo movement does not have articles of incorporation, right? There is not manifesto that says here are our noble actions?

Here's the thing. Someone has the right to be offended as this person does. Someone has a right to choose to invite to a meeting whomever they please.

No one has a right to harass someone. THAT is the desired outcome of the MeToo communication. It is hugely prevalent that harassment and assault are a THING. THAT knowledge is the desired outcome of the MeToo explosion.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do you understand that even not in the workplace, someone might not WANT a hug from you? And that is ok?
I rarely had someone that I knew well, not want a hug from me.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I read somewhere that a journalist got offended that a government official she had planned on interviewing had asked that the interview be chaperoned in a sense. So you could say he took a noble action on the side of the MeToo movement, only to have been demonized for it. AKA the Mike Pence effect (not being in the same room...alone...with another woman).

So even if they took action favor of this cause, he was still ridiculed for it. Catch 22.

You see, some are running too far with the MeToo movement for what it was INTENDED for. IE Taking your pants off in front of someone vs. harmless flirting.
This is entirely the point. WHO decides that is harmless flirting? NOT the guy who thinks chasing you around the subway when you have said NO. For example. The person who is being so-called flirted with is the ONLY ONE who gets to determine what is "harmless flirting".

The MeToo movement wasn't INTENDED for anything. It came up organically as a response simply to the question, if it has happened to you, say so. And we did.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I rarely had someone that I knew well, not want a hug from me.
And we are not really talking about your mother or your best friend here. Are we? Do you want a list of things you can do that are ok? And you want hugging on it? You can't have that.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
You know that the MeToo movement does not have articles of incorporation, right? There is not manifesto that says here are our noble actions?

Here's the thing. Someone has the right to be offended as this person does. Someone has a right to choose to invite to a meeting whomever they please.

No one has a right to harass someone. THAT is the desired outcome of the MeToo communication. It is hugely prevalent that harassment and assault are a THING. THAT knowledge is the desired outcome of the MeToo explosion.
Right, but the thing is...some are using MeToo for an agenda or reasons that it wasn't intended for and running with that. Going off the rails.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
And we are not really talking about your mother or your best friend here. Are we? Do you want a list of things you can do that are ok? And you want hugging on it? You can't have that.
Right...esp. with the social circles that I've run in, it's never been an issue. In fact, they welcomed the hugs or even initiated it.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Right, but the thing is...some are using MeToo for an agenda or reasons that it wasn't intended for and running with that. Going off the rails.
Well I am sure that is true. People are people. And there is no rule book for being one, thankfully. It is not highly prevalent. And you sure have not cited any examples of it.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Well I am sure that is true. People are people. And there is no rule book for being one, thankfully. It is not highly prevalent. And you sure have not cited any examples of it.
Actually I did...earlier... //www.city-data.com/forum/56682068-post259.html

The Burlesque article.

Also, you just need to Google what we're talking about and you'll see what's out there.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Also...Chris Hardwick was a big one.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Actually I did...earlier... //www.city-data.com/forum/56682068-post259.html

The Burlesque article.

Also, you just need to Google what we're talking about and you'll see what's out there.
So.

A person got offended in one case, and in another there was a legal battle. And, your point is what? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.