Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you date someone who is:
married with children 2 5.88%
married no kids 2 5.88%
engaged 2 5.88%
living with girlfriend/boyfriend 4 11.76%
girlfriend/boyfriend not co-habitating 6 17.65%
dating someone not exclusively 10 29.41%
has a friend with benefits/bootycall 6 17.65%
has a platonic opposite gender just-a-friend 17 50.00%
co-parenting 12 35.29%
not seeing anyone 31 91.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 07:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
how much of a complicated partners life would you tolerate ?
None, I'm far to old and experienced to put up with any of the choices mentioned. In the same breath, maybe that is because I am content by myself, much to the displeasure of my children. But they're young and don't know any better...yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't get this. Sounds like a great way to stay single forever. Adults aren't going to have undivided attention. They often have children. They have careers. Aging parents and other family. Other friends. No one is going to be able to give me un complete attention, nor should they be able to, and I can't understand why I would want it, especially at the beginning.
Romantic interest.

Not all interest encompassing everything.

I mean, come on.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nor to me. Hard to imagine not wanting to date someone that is working in a healthy manner with an ex to raise their children.
I'm one of those people who thinks raising your kids should be #1 priority- not dating.

And if you'd seen the nonsense I've seen and how it affects kids (or just read the studies), you'd get it.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Romantic interest.

I mean, come on.
I was confused by it too given the mentioning of co-parenting.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Romantic interest.

I mean, come on.
Quote:
I'm one of those people who thinks raising your kids should be #1 priority- not dating.

And if you'd seen the nonsense I've seen and how it affects kids (or just read the studies), you'd get it.

So have dating be the #2 priority, or #3, or #4.

Telling people that they shouldn't date and make new relationships, or have lovers, just because they have kids is really weird. Sounds incredibly unhealthy.

I haven't seen a single study that shows a parent having a healthy, balanced, social life negatively impacts children. Good rolemodeling is pretty critical to parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I was confused by it too given the mentioning of co-parenting.
Yup, that implies a person having a working relationship with another person is off limits to a romantic relationship as co parenting is not a romantic relationship.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:

I see what you are getting at. I believe also that if you have kids, they come first. Other things go behind kids.

I personally do not even consider people in other EXCLUSIVE ROMANTIC relationships for dating.

A person fresh out of a divorce is off limits to me.

I used to look at single mothers as off limits, but that was in my twenties. I'm at the age where people are very likely to have children.

A person who is dating someone else, sure. Dating is not exclusive.

Someone in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, no. This is typically the exclusive level of the relationship. I don't care if they are married or not. They might be planning it and it is not in my place to be "Well, you're not married, so I'm butting in and taking your girl." If the relationship is not going to work, I'd just let it run its course on its own. Plenty of others out there for me to be thinking about someone who is in a committed exclusive relationship with someone else.

But that's just me

Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I see what you are getting at. I believe also that if you have kids, they come first. Other things go behind kids.

I personally do not even consider people in other ROMANTIC relationships for dating.

A person fresh out of a divorce is off limits to me.

I used to look at single mothers as off limits, but that was in my twenties. I'm at the age where people are very likely to have children.

A person who is dating someone else, sure. Dating is not exclusive.

Someone in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, no. This is typically the exclusive level of the relationship. I don't care if they are married or not. They might be planning it and it is not in my place to be "Well, you're not married, so I'm butting in and taking your girl." If the relationship is not going to work, I'd just let it run its course on its own. Plenty of others out there for me to be thinking about someone who is in a committed relationship with someone else.

But that's just me

Ita.....if someone is in a relationship they want to be in....putting yourself in the middle of it is more likely to go bad for you than anyone else IMO. If they are divorced tho....that’s not somebody in a relationship because it’s over......

Ita about kids too.....but lots of people can choose not to have kids.......

Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita.....if someone is in a relationship they want to be in....putting yourself in the middle of it is more likely to go bad for you than anyone else IMO. If they are divorced tho....that’s not somebody in a relationship because it’s over......

Ita about kids too.....but lots of people can choose not to have kids.......
That's true...

...but typically, there are some leftover feelings from a fresh divorcee. A person who has been divorced for a while, I would consider because she had enough time to process everything and get used to her new life...and she has decided that she wanted to date again.

Another person that is off limits, someone who does not want to date.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
That's true...

...but typically, there are some leftover feelings from a fresh divorcee. A person who has been divorced for a while, I would consider because she had enough time to process everything and get used to her new life...and she has decided that she wanted to date again.

Another person that is off limits, someone who does not want to date.

IMO there is a difference between dating someone that is in a relationship they want to be in....& dating someone that is divorced tho.....A N D if there are no kids....it’s an even bigger difference.....

Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I always wonder how single parents with little kids who work full time and therefore do not have much time for the kids anyway, have time and the patience to even date? Aren't they busy enough work/kids/chores.. no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships