Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I’m in nyc and it’s not great here either. A lot of shallow women but I’m unattractive and shy around ladies I don’t know. If you’re good looking and make a decent living then it’s probably pretty good.
Sad that you say that about yourself, but I get it. I'm considered good looking, BUT I'm also shy around women I don't know. It has never changed, despite working on it extensively. That said, if I can get into a conversation, I can hold my own. I have improved greatly at that, but a lot of it is just because of age and experience I think. Hang in there. I sure can empathize.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People have a lot of fun with Swing, too. It tends to be a very friendly crowd.
I loved it when I took lessons in the 90's. I should do it again. So much easier than Salsa, thats for sure.

Last edited by Atlguy39; 11-27-2019 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
OMG I've always wanted to do this. I come from Miami and have been swung around plenty of times on the dancefloor but would love to get the professional side of it. I'm gong to look into it.

Please keep up posted on how it goes. Have fun!!!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Atlguy39;56735122]Sad that you say that about yourself, but I get it. I'm considered good looking, BUT I'm also shy around women I don't know. It has never changed, despite working on it extensively.[/b] That said, if I can get into a conversation, I can hold my own. I have improved greatly at that, but a lot of it is just because of age and experience I think. Hang in there. I sure can empathize.
I am surprised. I was shy, too. When I started online dating and had dates, I sweat and was shy and uncomfortable, restless legs, scared. After a bazillion first dates I don't care anymore - he either likes me or doesn't. I walk into the restaurant as if I own the place by now haha . And my rejection rate is much lower now than when I was a bundle of nerves. Confidence is worth more than looks, it makes it or breaks it.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am surprised. I was shy, too. When I started online dating and had dates, I sweat and was shy and uncomfortable, restless legs, scared. After a bazillion first dates I don't care anymore - he either likes me or doesn't. I walk into the restaurant as if I own the place by now haha . And my rejection rate is much lower now than when I was a bundle of nerves. Confidence is worth more than looks, it makes it or breaks it.

Very true. After 50, 100, 200+ first dates its easy to just not care, but chill, and talk. If there is chemistry it sorts itself out. One of many reasons its so much easier to date as an adult.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Very true. After 50, 100, 200+ first dates its easy to just not care, but chill, and talk. If there is chemistry it sorts itself out. One of many reasons its so much easier to date as an adult.
I wish I would have made a list. I must be at 200+ by now

Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't think you and Atlguy have the same dating issues.

If you think you are unattractive and too shy, you could be at the playboy mansion and not get laid, while Atlguy would hammer away.
Which is why I prefaced it..If he’s good looking then yeah he’d do great here.

Unfortunately for me I’m not so that’s a big part of my struggles.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Sad that you say that about yourself, but I get it. I'm considered good looking, BUT I'm also shy around women I don't know. It has never changed, despite working on it extensively. That said, if I can get into a conversation, I can hold my own. I have improved greatly at that, but a lot of it is just because of age and experience I think. Hang in there. I sure can empathize.
My opinion wqs shaped by being around my good liking friend ladies literally throw themselves at him. Hell married women in my social circle who claim he’s a jerk have come close to stepping over the line in terms of hitting on him so it’s why when people say looks aren’t a huge factor I just laugh.

I’m the same way it takes me too get comfortable with someone and know them then I open up.. or if someone I don’t know just gets the ball rolling I can continue it I’m just not good at starting it.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
My opinion wqs shaped by being around my good liking friend ladies literally throw themselves at him. Hell married women in my social circle who claim he’s a jerk have come close to stepping over the line in terms of hitting on him so it’s why when people say looks aren’t a huge factor I just laugh.

I’m the same way it takes me too get comfortable with someone and know them then I open up.. or if someone I don’t know just gets the ball rolling I can continue it I’m just not good at starting it.
The English language makes it easy, 90% of the conversations simply start with "how are you?" and then go from there. Find some phrases you can use over and over like "Have you ever been here before?" or "nice to see you again, what have you been up to since we last met?" …. and get a conversation flowing. People are always happy to talk about themselves, be engaged, show interest and ask them questions. If there is nothing coming back, try with someone else next time then.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:21 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This has been asked of Atlguy many times. It's something about his job/profession, and how well it pays in his current location, which has a low COL, IIRC. And he says there's a lot of competition in his field, so it would be tough to land a job in a place where the 30-40-something women aren't fat or flaky. But I'm with you; I think that would be the best solution.

I have NOT seen/heard Atlguy say he's done with American women. That's not his issue, unless I missed something. He hasn't experienced the diversity in American women since he's been cooped up in the Midwest, so he would have no basis on which to sweepingly reject them all.
He said it in another post, I believe. But I am hoping he is happy with what ever he decides to do.

Last edited by mlj1225; 11-27-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships