Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

Let's say that someone you are in love with and that you know he/she is in love with you, but you are not in a committed relationship and just friends, but you want to express your love to them. The other person has some anxiety problems and is extremely shy and very introverted where big emotional discussions like this scare them and make them really nervous. It takes a toll on them.

Do you think it's okay to write them in a hand-written letter what you feel instead? That it lifts some of the anxiety from their shoulders as they wouldn't be put on the spot, and also allows them to respond when they are comfortable?

Curious to hear what others think. I suggested this to my friend, and I am wondering if my advice was off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 08:24 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Why don´t you use whatsapp or messenger?

Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
If you intend on creating a committed relationship that will survive the test of time, you need to help bring her to a point that you can openly communicate with her in person. Once day to day life as a couple starts, it gets increasingly difficult.... it weighs heavy on the relationship.

I say this as a person whose wife has much of the same anxiety issues that you described. Started dating in 1994 but didn't marry until 2001 (took it slowly) and have been in separation for a few years now.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:59 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If you intend on creating a committed relationship that will survive the test of time, you need to help bring her to a point that you can openly communicate with her in person. Once day to day life as a couple starts, it gets increasingly difficult.... it weighs heavy on the relationship.

I say this as a person whose wife has much of the same anxiety issues that you described. Started dating in 1994 but didn't marry until 2001 (took it slowly) and have been in separation for a few years now.
I agree on that front. Communication is key. I did tell him that that become the norm, but if it helps start things off, it could be good to open that door.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post

... big emotional discussions like this scare them and make them really nervous.
Yeah, you can write a letter, but to what end, REALLY??

A person who is scared of emotional discussions, who is SO shy that they cannot talk about stuff like this, may not make the best partner, regardless of how that door is opened.

I guess if your friend is content with conducting all important communications with this person in writing from now on, maybe. But just because someone has a feeling doesn't mean they need to express it.

Practicality does have to come into consideration.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Let's say that someone you are in love with and that you know he/she is in love with you, but you are not in a committed relationship and just friends, but you want to express your love to them. The other person has some anxiety problems and is extremely shy and very introverted where big emotional discussions like this scare them and make them really nervous. It takes a toll on them.

Do you think it's okay to write them in a hand-written letter what you feel instead? That it lifts some of the anxiety from their shoulders as they wouldn't be put on the spot, and also allows them to respond when they are comfortable?

Curious to hear what others think. I suggested this to my friend, and I am wondering if my advice was off.
It can't hurt, unless it's too soon in the relationship for something this big.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:49 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Find a card to send. There are quite a few that say "I love you". I know because I send them to my wife often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships