Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 PM

7 posts, read 3,127 times

Advertisements

I am 40 years old female, I am divorced no kids ,
Unfortunately, I had no chance to focus my career.( I have my bachelor)
I was taking care of my elderly mother in-law and father in law
Also my father was had cancer treatment for long period of time.
My husband was provider and I was staying home.
Now , I recently single ( divorce 1 year ago)
I am trying online dating .
I see lot of men’s profile mentions ( they want some who make 50000 +)
I dont make that much
I rarely see profile where they men is not interested how much women is making .
Some guys tried to contact me and their first question was what I do for living ?
I think they wanted to know how much I am making .
Do you think am I wasting time ?

Or do I have to try my luck ?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Wow. People actually post income requirements in DC?!?! For real?

Old 12-19-2019, 06:01 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Use sites that don't have income. I can't even recall the last one that did.

Asking what someone does is just an icebreaker. It's a means to know what they do with most of their time, and largely to know what they are passionate about: chemistry, political work, social causes, literature, etc.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:03 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Try a different dating site? I never got asked that question.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:26 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Try a different dating site? I never got asked that question.

It used to be a question on paid sites like match long ago. Maybe it still is. I never answered it, and I don't know anyone actually paying for OLD these days. No reason to.

Places like DC can be very status orientated. Lots of people in politics and who are upwardly mobile. It may be that people are looking for people with similar status goals (not a match for the OP obviously), or trying to figure out what side they work for.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria111 View Post
I am 40 years old female, I am divorced no kids ,
Unfortunately, I had no chance to focus my career.( I have my bachelor)
I was taking care of my elderly mother in-law and father in law
Also my father was had cancer treatment for long period of time.
My husband was provider and I was staying home.
Now , I recently single ( divorce 1 year ago)
I am trying online dating .
I see lot of men’s profile mentions ( they want some who make 50000 +)
I dont make that much
I rarely see profile where they men is not interested how much women is making .
Some guys tried to contact me and their first question was what I do for living ?
I think they wanted to know how much I am making .
Do you think am I wasting time ?

Or do I have to try my luck ?
Thanks in advance
I live in DC and I think you just have to try and let the chips fall whenever. The reality is that DC is a very image conscious and status driven town which is also very expensive. Men here are not going to want to date someone that will drain them as far as supporting them financially. Not saying that is your situation but it is a reality of living here. I want someone who is independent and able to support themselves. Other men will go one step above that and want someone who has an established career.

Just my opinion, but I think DC is an AWFUL place to date for everyone. I’m not going to aggressively pursue dating until I get out of here.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:29 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yes.
And although I was never explicit, I too considered it when viewing profiles. Career and middle class status was enough for me.

A few ladies one a doctor and another a small business owner stated $150k and $200k min to 'keep up with me' flaunting their wealthy homes and toys. Those were easy enough to block and remove from future search results. I don't miss OLD.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:33 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Match.com USED to have income requirements...they got rid of it though.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:34 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It used to be a question on paid sites like match long ago. Maybe it still is. I never answered it, and I don't know anyone actually paying for OLD these days. No reason to.

Places like DC can be very status orientated. Lots of people in politics and who are upwardly mobile. It may be that people are looking for people with similar status goals (not a match for the OP obviously), or trying to figure out what side they work for.
Oh, that’s right, I have seen the question as part of setting up a profile. POF maybe? I didn’t answer, don’t care what the other person answered with. I can see how that may be area-specific, but still...to me it’s also ”character-specific“ of the person asking.

After meeting so many people from OLD I can say it’s definitely not about the income. Just having a job, some interests, and chemistry is challenging enough.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:35 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Yes.

A few ladies one a doctor and another an small business owner stated $150k and $200k min to 'keep up with me' flaunting their wealthy homes and toys. Those were easy enough to block and remove from future search results. I don't miss OLD.
It's a shame. There's this one woman that lives in a very backwater area of my county. I actually had her as a FB friend and happened to see her on Match. She was requiring the guy make 6-figures a year. Where I live, it's mostly restaurant (service work) retail (big box stores), clerical work, and blue collar jobs. Very low-key hourly positions where I live.

She is pushing 50 and is just a photographer. (Those are a dime a dozen around here, next to LMTs, and essential oils salespeople, lol) I could understand her being in her 20s and 30s demanding that amount, but approaching the AARP card carrying age....she needs to be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships