Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 05:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I do think you're being petty.. I never understand it when adults get all upset when they don't get exactly what they want for Christmas... you're not children anymore... I'm always appreciative and act like I love every gift, even if truly don't care for it..

The difference is, your a Lady with a kind heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 05:41 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She didn't state the bolded. She wrote:

If I tell him all the reasons why it is not a good choice based on my standards he will be offended, get his feelings hurt, feel incompetent and make me look like a shrew.

So she cannot figure out a way to tell him without mentioning his poor choices based on her standards and is trying to avoid looking like a shrew.

Not very caring or honest, in my opinion. There are kind ways to say things. Adults should be able to figure out how to communicate honestly yet kindly.
Right. She did not say anything. Which is what I said.

What, anyway, is unkind about "Honey, I know you worked hard to pick out this gift, but I also know you don't know much about cookware so you don't know why this set was not the best use of your money"? What, to you, is the kind way to tell someone "Hey, you missed the mark with your gift"? There isn't one. Hence why she did not say anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not sure why sparing someone's feelings is always the best answer. Again, we don't really have enough info here. IF the husband is being insensitive in just filling out packages instead of giving a GIFT, why would she be anything but fully honest? She can say it in kind and thoughtful ways.
Because why would hurting him be the best answer? Especially if this is just the way he is and he isn't going to change.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:51 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
@ Sonic_Spork.

It is inexcusable, for your ex husband to not give you any gifts. on your special Holidays... grrrr.
he is a bad example for your beloved sons.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:04 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This sounds so petty so the only place I can vent if here where no one I know really will see it

My husband is a great guy
Supportive, caring, generous, fair
But he has no clue how to buy cookware since he never cooks
He has bought me two sets of cookware in past couple of Christmases—one for vacation house in FL and one for main home in TX
Neither of them have been ones I asked for
Neither of them are ones I would have chosen on my own
Both of them have been poorly balanced, heavy, and had handles that hold heat—
So you have to use a hot pad if it has been on stove for any length of time—making it more unstable

He gave me one of these for this Christmas
If I tell him all the reasons why it is not a good choice based on my standards he will be offended, get his feelings hurt, feel incompetent and make me look like a shrew
My family gives me stick all the time because I am not always gracious about gifts I receive
But I am very practical and usually ask for things that I know I will use and have difficult time finding clothes that fit comfortably,

So I kept my mouth shut when I caught him washing the pans this morning when I got up

It is not the money he spent—although I think the set is overpriced because of poor design—but the idea that he thinks any non-stick set of pans is like any other—
He really doesn’t notice the detains of design/construction

I gave him a gift certificate for a new office chair for his home office because that is some thing the person who is going to sit it in all the time needs to decide works...
Even if it doesn’t make as imposing an appearance under the tree...

Plus I am trying to drink my coffee and have a few peaceful moments before I have to go to work doing everyday chores plus the extra stuff because there is company in the house and someone just home from the hospital yesterday...And I am having to tell him where to put the various pieces of cookware because he never spends any time in the kitchen...

So if that makes me sound like a shew, I can wear that shirt...
OP, since you are so picky and people cannot seem to find gifts up to your standards then just ask for gift certificates from now on and go buy what you want yourself.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Because why would hurting him be the best answer? Especially if this is just the way he is and he isn't going to change.
Because sometimes "hurting someone" is an acceptable side effect of honest communication. When you get into the dance of appeasing someone's feelings at the expense of getting your own needs met, nothing good happens. I have said this more than once. We really don't have enough info in this case. But if she is dealing with a phone-it-in attitude around caring for her, damned straight she should risk hurting his feelings to get that message across.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Mates suck at getting each other gifts.

My parents and my sister suck too and they've known me their whole lives.

My brother in law is awesome at getting me gifts.

Knows I love music and basketball, and he likes those things.

This year, he got me a book on Music Theory that, is a really good book. Unfortunately, I already own it, but the idea was $$$.

My parents and my girlfriend don't understand me on that level. It's sad, but true.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I do think you're being petty.. I never understand it when adults get all upset when they don't get exactly what they want for Christmas... you're not children anymore... I'm always appreciative and act like I love every gift, even if truly don't care for it..
I agree. I appreciate every gift I get... and I myself spent a TON this Christmas.

However, it would be nice if somebody you spent so much time with understood you well enough to get you a gift that says ... "Wow, you really know me."

Instead of ... "I wasn't sure what to get you."

Like I said, that goes for my parents too, lol. I love em, but they should know me well enough by now to get me gifts that are more me.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I agree. I appreciate every gift I get... and I myself spent a TON this Christmas.

However, it would be nice if somebody you spent so much time with understood you well enough to get you a gift that says ... "Wow, you really know me."

Like I said, that goes for my parents too, lol. I love em, but they should know me well enough by now to get me gifts that are more me.
I would have settled for hey you actually thought about this in advance rather than waiting until you got out of work at 5 on Christmas Eve and now the whole family has to wait for you to go grab any old thing. But that's me.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I understand this feeling. It's like, "Wow, you've been around me all this time, yet somehow I'm still a mystery?"

It helps to pay attention throughout the year to things the person says, little things they get excited about, etc. Or things that make their life easier.

Situations like the OP's tend to turn into a vicious cycle, where the giver senses the recipient's dissatisfaction and becomes MORE insecure about choosing something. It's hard to know without the OP's input whether the husband listens and ignores or truly is clueless about what he's giving - or whether he tries and just misses the mark.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I understand this feeling. It's like, "Wow, you've been around me all this time, yet somehow I'm still a mystery?"

It helps to pay attention throughout the year to things the person says, little things they get excited about, etc. Or things that make their life easier.

Situations like the OP's tend to turn into a vicious cycle, where the giver senses the recipient's dissatisfaction and becomes MORE insecure about choosing something. It's hard to know without the OP's input whether the husband listens and ignores or truly is clueless about what he's giving - or whether he tries and just misses the mark.
I think that's a relationship incompatibility.

If you cannot tell a person why a gift is wrong for you and why you want to return it, that's not great in a communication sense.

I mean it's not terrible either, but ... these sort of things are the things I'm talking about what people should be looking for when they date...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships