Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 10:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe there was no ceremony, and she confused going to get a marriage license with actually getting married.

With any "confusion" being manufactured and being promoted by the scoundrel.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Maybe not fake, but to skip a step in paperwork to not make it "official" is probably possible.
In NC, the officiant (judge) files the license, not the couple.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:10 AM

631 posts, read 399,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
I wanted to say sorry to everyone for not answering everything and for not replying

I don’t think I am actually married. My friend and I are calling around figuring stuff out. Basically things arent lining up and we can’t find proof.

I’m sorry and am embarrassed and sorry to anyone who wasted their time helping me. I am realizing how stupid I am but I am trying to help myself now. I am trying to figure out what happened.
Where are you calling? Have you tried to get a copy of your marriage certificate? If none exists, that would be proof, wouldn't it?

No need to apologize Belle, we're trying to help you get to the bottom of this, but it would help if your replies were just a tad more informative. They're kind of vague.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Maybe there was no ceremony, and she confused going to get a marriage license with actually getting married.
Why would she need 3 people to witness an application for a marriage license?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why would she need 3 people to witness an application for a marriage license?
Maybe she assumed they were getting married and invited her friends to come. She said earlier that the thinks she remembers one of her friends signing something.

It's really easy to find out if they are married. Go to the records department and ask for a copy of the marriage certificate. If none exists then they didn't actually get married at the court house and possibly she confused getting a license with actually getting married.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Maybe she assumed they were getting married and invited her friends to come. She said earlier that the thinks she remembers one of her friends signing something.

It's really easy to find out if they are married. Go to the records department and ask for a copy of the marriage certificate. If none exists then they didn't actually get married at the court house and possibly she confused getting a license with actually getting married.
Or he had a fellow scam artist friend meet them at the courthouse to conduct a mock wedding off to the side where nobody would have questioned what was going on.

Belle, please post what you've done and have been told - we can perhaps put you in the right direction

Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Belle, what county were you allegedly married in n?

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think it's at all possible to fake a courthouse wedding. And to attempt to do so is probably a crime.
I don't think so, either.
Quote:
Lol, sure, a 27 yo woman, supposedly a college student and future lawyer got confused about this. A young child would know there is a ceremony.

I am skeptical of the college thing anyway. Several days ago, she apologized for the delay in responding because she had been busy with classes, but she almost certainly would have been on winter break at the time, and most likely would still be on break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Where are you calling?
Indeed. Ghostbusters?

Quote:
No need to apologize Belle, we're trying to help you get to the bottom of this, but it would help if your replies were just a tad more informative. They're kind of vague.
Maybe they are vague because she comes here to work out details of her storyline for the novel or something she's writing. Maybe she is not even a she.

Entertaining threads though.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:21 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
In North Carolina you get your marriage license immediately when you file it. You need 2 witnesses in NC and the license is valid for 60 days.
There should not be any reason to "call around".

OP..did you get a marriage license before you got married ?

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/north-...uirements.html
How To Get A Marriage License In North Carolina

If you're headed down the aisle in North Carolina, you'll need a marriage license. You can get one by filing an application with a County Register of Deeds Office.

You'll both need to appear at the clerk's office, fill out an application, sign it, and pay a license fee, usually $60. You can get your marriage license immediately (there isn't a waiting period).

Old 01-08-2020, 11:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Lol, sure, a 27 yo woman, supposedly a college student and future lawyer got confused about this. A young child would know there is a ceremony.

There doesn't need to be a ceremony, at least not everywhere. In Massachusetts a friend of mine just met a local bar here with the appropriately empowered official and signed the docs. Married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships