Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 11:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Well ,if every single photo is of you with your friends, and none of you by yourself, no one wants to play "where's Waldo" trying to figure out which one is you.
Who said every photo was with friends? I have five pics, profile is solo, two others of only me and two with friends. Plus I’m 6’5 (also in my profile) so I’m always the tallest in my group anyway so not hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 11:34 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would never respond to a profile unless the person puts only himself in the picture. It's so easy to take selfies these days with a camera anyway. When they put another person in the picture, they are trying to send a message of "remember, you will never come first." I even saw profiles where the man posed with his ex. How weird and tacky is that.
I actually see this a lot, or pics where you can see they cropped out their ex. Still pretty lame.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:41 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I'm lazy so I don't like Bumble as much if I have to make the first move. A lot of guys unmatch me after the first message so I don't really bother. I know this app was promoted as women empowerment or whatever but I see it more appealing for guys since they can just swipe right on everybody until they get a message. I've had the least amount of success with this app but I found someone on there who wants to partner up with me for a work thing lol. I do like Bumble BFF better.
I like bumble BFF too! Only people who don’t think it’s weird to find a friend online do this, so there’s that in common, personality wise, right off the bat.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
I do feel that the women I see on bumble are higher "quality" (I hate using that word for people - meaning more attractive and professionally accomplished) compared with other apps. But the incentive is for them to swipe right and filter after getting a few matches, since there's nothing the guy can do after matching. So I don't take matches seriously until I get a message.

Bumble's algorithm seems very aggressive about selling their services. So swipe cautiously or you will get many likes and few matches, in my experience.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Ironic. ....they changed the dating field to accommodate women o these new apps so that men aren't able to initiate a message....then I see this. Lol.

Makes me wonder how many women, like Amelie, dislike having to initiate messaging. Lol. A lot of men are ticked off that they can no longer initiate on OK Cupid, because that site went the direction of Bumble
I’m not sure why those guys would be ticked off. Those same women will be on another app.

Quote:
Over the course of time, I think men evolved from being...discerning in their selecting who they contact...even crafting full fledged, long,...initial emails to women. And typically choosing only certain ones that fit their criteria in what they're looking for...so there may have been a point that they carefully chosen only the women they'd feel they'd be nicely matched up with...via politics, beliefs, interests, aligned with the same frame of mind, and so on.
Wanna know something? Life and love doesn’t exactly work like a bunch of match.com profile checkboxes. I like girly girls and the gal pal is just that. I’m not into anything she pins on her Pinterest page (though it’s usually cute stuff) and I’m pretty sure she’s not into the guy stuff I doodle with. Really, if it was all about matching checkboxes, OD sites would have shut down by now from all the matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Or they are just trying to communicate they are not loners, maybe. But I understand what you're saying too.
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Just do you. When I used to pass time doing this stuff, I don’t believe I had many pics with the social circle. I also didn’t have selfies in front of a grungy looking bathroom mirror, either. Just do what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I do feel that the women I see on bumble are higher "quality" (I hate using that word for people - meaning more attractive and professionally accomplished) compared with other apps. But the incentive is for them to swipe right and filter after getting a few matches, since there's nothing the guy can do after matching. So I don't take matches seriously until I get a message.

Bumble's algorithm seems very aggressive about selling their services. So swipe cautiously or you will get many likes and few matches, in my experience.
You’ll see those same women elsewhere. It’s same as the old Match myth where higher quality women use pay sites. Problem? Yeah, most of the subscribers are men and those women are on other sites/apps. As for Bumble, I’m fine with the women messaging first. When I’d get a few matches, odds are they were ones I’d be left swiping anyway and that usually quickly cleared the list. I get tickling someone’s fancy visually, but I’m not into someone who’s a complete 180 in terms of relationship goals.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 01-12-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 06:52 AM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
You’ll see those same women elsewhere. It’s same as the old Match myth where higher quality women use pay sites. Problem? Yeah, most of the subscribers are men and those women are on other sites/apps. As for Bumble, I’m fine with the women messaging first. When I’d get a few matches, odds are they were ones I’d be left swiping anyway and that usually quickly cleared the list. I get tickling someone’s fancy visually, but I’m not into someone who’s a complete 180 in terms of relationship goals.
Just my anecdotal observation. I am not a big fan of either Bumble or Tinder. I don't like the swiping format, and other apps (Hinge, Facebook Dating, formerly POF although it's pretty dead these days) have worked better for me. At the end of the day, all are more similar than different though.

Why swipe right on someone who is "a complete 180 in terms of relationship goals"?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Just my anecdotal observation. I am not a big fan of either Bumble or Tinder. I don't like the swiping format, and other apps (Hinge, Facebook Dating, formerly POF although it's pretty dead these days) have worked better for me. At the end of the day, all are more similar than different though.

Why swipe right on someone who is "a complete 180 in terms of relationship goals"?
Yeah, .... now I just contact women that show up in my" people you msy know" list on Facebook. We tend to share the same mutual friends.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Yeah, .... now I just contact women that show up in my" people you msy know" list on Facebook. We tend to share the same mutual friends.
Does this ever actually work? Do you even ask your mutual friend if the person is single and looking first?

Old 01-14-2020, 04:35 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie90 View Post
Does this ever actually work? Do you even ask your mutual friend if the person is single and looking first?
Sometimes...it's a numbers game *shrug*

I do sometimes...but with some female friends...not anymore, they didn't care for me asking.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Sometimes...it's a numbers game *shrug*

I do sometimes...but with some female friends...not anymore, they didn't care for me asking.

You freaking didn't clear it with your mutual friend first????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships