Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 12:23 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I was single for roughly all of my 20s, so yes.

I was then single for good portions of my 30s.

The answer is yes.

As a single person, especially a single male, you develop 'habits' that you carry on inside your own domicile.

Let's just say a lot of those *ahem* habits don't fly so well when living with a woman and I'm not talking about leaving the dishes in the sink either.

I think in retrospect (of life) it was probably a little damaging to be alone for so long. I developed habits that make it hard for me to get close to people and to co-habitate. A little bit.

I'll also say that living with a GF/BF makes more productive. If I were by myself, I could theoretically spend the whole day doing garbage and watching football. Living with somebody else makes me more productive, I do more.
Believe me, I know about the "habits", and they might be a little tough to break. I don't know how I would be living with a GF/Wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 12:24 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Many people acquire a partner regardless of school and work. I don't understand how prioritizing school and work could keep a person from having relationships for 12 years. I think something else is going on here. Attraction to others is to some extent a biological imperative, like eating or sleeping. If a person is capable of falling in love, and they do fall in love, that automatically takes priority in their mind, except under extraordinary circumstances where their survival is at stake. People go to all kinds of lengths, sacrifices, compromises to keep that relationship going. Like they say, love is blind.
I’ve made this argument before, there is doing something and doing something well. If you are trying to do school, work, and a relationship at the same time, something is going to give and it will not be pretty. I made the mistake of doing all three and I had to let the most expendable one give, the relationship. She just could not understand why I was so tired all the time working 45-50 hours a week on top of grad school. We both had enough at some point. Biologically no one can handle that load.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
I worked full time as an audit manager, was in grad school getting an MBA and was married with three kids and a stay at home wife. I also did my own car repairs and house repairs, bought a house and commuted two hours a day with public transportation at all hours. Plus I was a heavy drinker. My wife took care of the housework and the kids. I never considered doing anything but putting one foot in front of the other. I did them all the best I could and survived. Maybe it was the alcohol (Dutch courage worked for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I’ve made this argument before, there is doing something and doing something well. If you are trying to do school, work, and a relationship at the same time, something is going to give and it will not be pretty. I made the mistake of doing all three and I had to let the most expendable one give, the relationship. She just could not understand why I was so tired all the time working 45-50 hours a week on top of grad school. We both had enough at some point. Biologically no one can handle that load.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-18-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Attraction to others is to some extent a biological imperative, like eating or sleeping. If a person is capable of falling in love, and they do fall in love, that automatically takes priority in their mind.
Biology was my worst subject at school and I owe it nothing. My feeling attracted to someone happens very rarely, once a decade or so, I never act on it and can talk myself out of it within a matter of days.

Why? Because I'm a miserable sod and can see the skull beneath the skin. For me the harsh realities of being and living with someone far outweigh the benefits. If I took the risk, I'd be waiting for it all go spectacularly pear shaped, then feel a quiet sense of satisfaction when it did because I was right all along.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
You have a unique outlook on relationships. But if it works for you, then that is fine. I started chasing girls at the age of 5 and never stopped until I met my wife and got married at 25. My cousin described me as a puppy dog whose tail never stopped wagging. Been married 46 years and I liked and still like all of it, the love, the sex, the arguments, the compromises, the companionship, the good times and the bad. To me, that's living. When I was single I was lonely. Giving up my so called freedom was easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Biology was my worst subject at school and I owe it nothing. My feeling attracted to someone happens very rarely, once a decade or so, I never act on it and can talk myself out of it within a matter of days.

Why? Because I'm a miserable sod and can see the skull beneath the skin. For me the harsh realities of being and living with someone far outweigh the benefits. If I took the risk, I'd be waiting for it all go spectacularly pear shaped, then feel a quiet sense of satisfaction when it did because I was right all along.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Single does not mean being lonely. I've been married (now divorced) and I'll take single life any day of the week. Unless you can get me a women who isn't a little needy then maybe I would consider a relationship. I won't ever get married again, that is an awful trap and unnecessary. Some people though need to be in a relationship, I don't get it, but they need attention at all times.

If you don't want a relationship don't worry about. People in a relationship will make you think something is wrong, but they just want you to be as miserable as them.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I've been in multiple relationships over the last ten years, but have always been "legally single" and never had a romantic partner living with me.

It would be difficult for me, as I also was an only child. I'm very neat and tidy. I don't leave dishes in the sink. I don't do "mess" at all. I was out of town yesterday, came home, and the cat made a mess. I hated to leave the place a mess today.

I'm also stubborn and like things the way I like them. Someone would have to compromise a lot with me.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:44 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I was single for roughly all of my 20s, so yes.

I was then single for good portions of my 30s.

The answer is yes.

As a single person, especially a single male, you develop 'habits' that you carry on inside your own domicile.

Let's just say a lot of those *ahem* habits don't fly so well when living with a woman and I'm not talking about leaving the dishes in the sink either.

I think in retrospect (of life) it was probably a little damaging to be alone for so long. I developed habits that make it hard for me to get close to people and to co-habitate. A little bit.

I'll also say that living with a GF/BF makes more productive. If I were by myself, I could theoretically spend the whole day doing garbage and watching football. Living with somebody else makes me more productive, I do more.
I think there's a lot of truth to this, especially for men. Obviously, there are exceptions, but men tend to drift and not do as well as when they don't have a partner. I'm 49 and it gets harder as you get older. I have to actively fight these types of tendencies.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:48 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You know I feel the same way about this topic as I do about other “maturity markers”; homeownership, not playing video games, not partying, being in a management position. It doesn’t sound like a good deal to me at all, so I’ll guess I’ll just stay “immature.”
Yeah, I kinda feel that way, too. There's some truth to these 'maturity markers' but there are a lot of people who go through the motions of these markers who really aren't mature or true to themselves at all. They're just following a script.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
A fear or strict avoidance to compromise sounds like a very shallow life in terms of social involvement, but if you’re ok with never really having mutual relations (of any kind) with others already it’s not something that is ever really going to affect you.

A very silly example:

- One who partakes or accepts washing dishes will become more proficient at doing so due to their involvement and investment. They have room to excel in this area as a result.
- One who avoids or refuses doing dishes will struggle to do them as efficiently as those who partake in the cleaning of them due to their lack of involvement and investment. They will struggle and fumble in this area as a result.

If someone seeks another to do or is interested in the washing of dishes the likelihood they will want the inexperienced and uninterested is unlikely. They lack experience to give any form of real fulfillment in the venture.

Last edited by rego00123; 01-20-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships