Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 05:26 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times

Advertisements

If you have no desire, why are you trying to get some desire? I think as we age, we loose interest in many things we loved at a younger age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 05:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Women your age can experience similar issues. Their sex drive can drop to almost nothing. I know it’s not true of everyone, but it’s common enough.

Maybe that’s what you need in life, if you’re looking for a partner. Find an attractive woman in her early fifties who shares common interests. You can still have sex, but you might find she has other qualities that keep life interesting.

It’s not over yet.
I agree. It's not over. It's a transition.

I think the universe has a grand design whereby we change when we need to, kind of like how teenagers become insufferable in the years before they leave the house. That's by design, so you're kind of glad to see them go because if they were always their little adorble child selves we couldn't bear to let them fly.

Same thing with this libido issue. As men and women move beyond the child-bearing phase, which is the original purpose of sex, their libido drops. As it should.

This can bring some anxiety to those who experience sex as entertainment, though.

I agree that you shouldn't artificially mess with it right now. Follow your gut, and see what else your body is telling you.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:35 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
This is an easy one.....Low Testosterone is the problem. Common problem and easy-ish fix. The problem with doctors is that they use the 'normal range' for test results. This is only an average. Your 'normal range' may have been 650, there is no way of knowing.....

First of all they should be testing for 'Free Testosterone', just like they test for Free Thyroid. I'll bet this is low.

Look for a MD in your area that specializes in Hormone Replacement therapy. They will do the testing and get you on a regimen of Testosterone cream which you will apply daily. This will raise your levels back to where they should be. Do NOT settle for a low testosterone level, there are many health risks to doing this. You will live longer and a more healthy, satisfied life if you do this. The only way you cannot do this is you already have prostate cancer signs, otherwise it can actually help prevent prostate issues.

But do your own research, do not listen to anyone else on a forum, not even me . A few internet searches will give you your answers. Like I said this is an easy fix and has been around for decades now......

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 13,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you have no desire, why are you trying to get some desire? I think as we age, we loose interest in many things we loved at a younger age.
Because it feels weird feeling this way I feel outta wack..

Old 01-18-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree. It's not over. It's a transition.

I think the universe has a grand design whereby we change when we need to, kind of like how teenagers become insufferable in the years before they leave the house. That's by design, so you're kind of glad to see them go because if they were always their little adorble child selves we couldn't bear to let them fly.

Same thing with this libido issue. As men and women move beyond the child-bearing phase, which is the original purpose of sex, their libido drops. As it should.

This can bring some anxiety to those who experience sex as entertainment, though.

I agree that you shouldn't artificially mess with it right now. Follow your gut, and see what else your body is telling you.
I agree with you. I date one lady and have for 5 years, however, the past 2 years this decline thing has "0" to do with her its me BUT she takes it personally. For now, she had to go help a sick family member so she is not around. BUT when she visits I feel like "expectations " are there.

I just find it so much "work" I just am not interested in trying. She understands to a point, but I am not going to "do it" when I just don't feel like it. It is so nice to go to bed and not "have to"

I am glad she isn't here often BUT she wants to return. She likes me and I like her BUT I just find it to be so much "work" to be intimate.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:28 PM

I forgot to mention, I also have lost hair over the past 12 years I am nearly bald now and grey, I am not terribly overweight but can stand to lose 15 lbs. The overall lethargic feeling.along with 0 interest in sex & having weeks of this over the past year is a concern. Is this normal as we age???????

Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
I’m almost sure diet and exercise can help tremendously.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM

My free testosterone level is 9.3 PG/ML

Old 01-18-2020, 07:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
I have a partnership in a handful of fitness centers and gyms One of the most frequent comments our fitness instructors relay to us is from 50 something males and it amounts to once they lose body fat and they exercise enough that they no longer feel fatigued (notice that is compound condition) their libido strongly kicks in.

On a personal note I am in my mid 50s, and while my natural desire when I am at 13-16% body fat is 3 times a day, when I train for an event and drop into the 8-12% range I am in a near perpetual state of arousal. Along with that comes a healthy diet so the are multiple factors at play. My advice to you would be to make a concerted effort to alter my body fat (not I did not say weight as that is very misleading over time), increase muscles mass and cardio fitness, while altering my diet. I have never drank, but our members note alcohol seems to deaden desires. Personally when I reduce sugar significantly, after I acclimate it seems my libido rises also.

The other comment I'll make is a bit odd, but it is personal observation made by myself and several of my students. We, condition our body for boxing, kick boxing, and MMA. Part of that involves striking yourself (or with a partner)to desensitize your shins, forearms, lats, stomach etc. "We" all have noticed that when training for a match, and thus increasing the intensity of the body conditioning, the libido spikes almost immediately after the desensitization session ends. Essentially you want to roll through the shower and go see your woman.

So my point in all of this is, I am not sure what you are experiencing is destiny so much as it is the cumulative effect of a host of small body changes influenced by exercise, diet, and amount of stress on the actual body that influences your libido. Note, often we get complacent in our 50s, there is the theory that good stress is healthy, called eustress. In large part that is what the body conditioning does, it release endorphins associated with eustress.

My other observation is testosterone feeds testosterone I have four mighty sons, on weekends my home is filled with testosterone laden young men, I think it influences my attitude and possibly my own chemistry. Rather than feeling old when I am rolling with them and their friends in my dojo, well, the years seem to fade away. Maybe being around more vigorous males might aid you.

There is one sexual age related natural effect you can do little about, as men age they lose size, in regard to their appendage, over time. It is a thing. It is the natural result of stress fractures and scar tissue that accumulates over time due to the slight physical trauma that occasionally occurs when you slip out and impact occurs.

Lastly, I really do not get your concern. I have offered potential natural remedies, but I truly do not get the problem. If you lose your desire for women would not the overall quality of your life increase? I mean once you are free from the desire for a woman, isn't the world your oyster? Absent sex what difference does it make if your companion is a man, a woman, a cat, or a dog? Friends are friends right, companionship is companionship.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
It is a normal part of the aging process.

We aren't going to be reproducing past a certain age so our sex drive goes down. It's basic biology and nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships