Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 11:04 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times

Advertisements

I keep reading threads about how people treat work as if it's high school now, and how work place relationships are bad and how it "didn't happen back in the day" and it literally occurred to me that workplaces are just more 50/50 these days than they used to be.
When I first started working, there were a few women (in lower positions) and mostly men (in the more senior positions). Many women worked in "womencentric" careers such as nursing or teaching, but it's a different world these days and if you work with 100 people, and many are single, then of course, it's a natural place to find someone that you're attracted/connected to.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 11:22 AM

43,090 posts, read 18,259,632 times
It's more to to the changing workplace ethics of the younger generation.
It's the generational change of society's rules.
It's more due to age group.

https://www.inc.com/chas-rampenthal/...-it-legal.html
... according to a recent Workplace Options survey, nearly 85% of 18-29 year olds would have a romantic relationship with a co-worker, compared to just over 35% for 30-46 year olds and about 30% of 47-66 year olds. Even more shocking is that 40% of those 18-29 year olds would date their supervisors.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Work relationships have always been a thing. People just weren't as open about it.

Anytime men and women are around each other, it's happening.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I see the complete opposite: it seems much less acceptable to date in the workplace now than 20 or 30 years ago. I can't imagine doing it. Not only is it just a really bad idea due to proximity and professionalism, but it's also been explicitly against company policy everywhere I've worked unless you were already in the relationship when you began working. I couldn't even date someone who works in a different building and whose job never intersects with mine.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I see the complete opposite: it seems much less acceptable to date in the workplace now than 20 or 30 years ago. I can't imagine doing it. Not only is it just a really bad idea due to proximity and professionalism, but it's also been explicitly against company policy everywhere I've worked unless you were already in the relationship when you began working. I couldn't even date someone who works in a different building and whose job never intersects with mine.
Unlesd it was between a supervisor and their employees, no company has never had policy against it. If I'm wrong, name me an industry that has this so called rule?

Old 01-22-2020, 02:42 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
Thoughts?

The premise of the thread is some red pill swill with no basis in reality.

That’s my thought.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Work relationships have always been a thing. People just weren't as open about it.

Anytime men and women are around each other, it's happening.
Yeah, come company Christmas party time...that's when people forget that they are co-workers, and that cute gal from payroll becomes a likely prospect.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Absolutely. 50 years ago, women would often work in their 20s until they got married or pregnant and they were typically relegated to pink collar jobs like clerical work, nursing, or teaching. In the first two, many women would meet men (professionals, doctors) at their workplace. They didn’t have an option for professional growth and the pay was not awesome in many circumstances.

Now that we have a lot of older women in higher level positions who are career focused, they aren’t interested in stalling their careers for some relationship. It was definitely more common 20 years ago (in my experience) than it is now, with more people realizing the negative effects of dating in the workplace. With online dating and apps, there is less of a reason to meet people in the workplace. 20 years ago, online dating was still relatively new. I knew maybe one or two people who met their spouse via online dating, but it was rare.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

Now that we have a lot of older women in higher level positions who are career focused, they aren’t interested in stalling their careers for some relationship.
This does make me curious about the professional women that still want to be able to do both though. Some make it apparent in their profiles that "work keeps her busy, and he must understand that". It kind of sends a red flag. A have your cake and eat it too situation. You can't have it all. I don't get having to work on your days off, when you really don't need to.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
From what I've seen/heard personally, it's usually people who want a little something extra on the side, or people with just absolutely nothing going on in their personal lives.

It's unprofessional either way. Get a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships