Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 02:29 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure how to answer this question as it relates to my age and my age demographic for the women I'd date if I were single. Most women in their 40's that I see around me I for the most part couldn't tell what they are into, for the most part. I think that is why I struggled a bit upthread. I like women that are into hard rock and metal. Back when I was a kid I saw girls / women that sorta looked that part a bit. I don't see much of that around me as I'm older now. Probably any type of woman that wasn't the HS cheerleader type or excessively Goth or Emo and definitely not into rap. The women that look obviously like they are into rap sorta look a little too thuggish for me. Bikers chicks, nah, twangy country girls, nah.

Looks/appearance and how you present to the world doesn't really matter all that much, as long as it isn't too much of the negatives I listed. I want a woman that I can say that the Big 4 are all awesome in their own right and not get a glazed over look in her face. If she doesn't go "what" when I ask her if she's a Hagar or Roth kind of woman.

At my age I wouldn't expect a woman in her forties to have such a distinct look that I could instantly tell that's she's a skater chick or whatever she's into. I guess I like more of a physical nuanced appearance. If she's coming at me with sagging jeans a Lil Naz shirt on and her hat turned backwards, uh, no, not so much.

I think that maybe some of that might be unfair as I on my off days from work, don't exactly look like what my job and views of the world would suggest, so I don't know.

Yeah, I'm sorta flip flopping here a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 02:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not really sure how to answer this question as it relates to my age and my age demographic for the women I'd date if I were single. Most women in their 40's that I see around me I for the most part couldn't tell what they are into, for the most part. I think that is why I struggled a bit upthread. I like women that are into hard rock and metal. Back when I was a kid I saw girls / women that sorta looked that part a bit. I don't see much of that around me as I'm older now. Probably any type of woman that wasn't the HS cheerleader type or excessively Goth or Emo and definitely not into rap. The women that look obviously like they are into rap sorta look a little too thuggish for me. Bikers chicks, nah, twangy country girls, nah.

Looks/appearance and how you present to the world doesn't really matter all that much, as long as it isn't too much of the negatives I listed. I want a woman that I can say that the Big 4 are all awesome in their own right and not get a glazed over look in her face. If she doesn't go "what" when I ask her if she's a Hagar or Roth kind of woman.

At my age I wouldn't expect a woman in her forties to have such a distinct look that I could instantly tell that's she's a skater chick or whatever she's into. I guess I like more of a physical nuanced appearance. If she's coming at me with sagging jeans a Lil Naz shirt on and her hat turned backwards, uh, no, not so much.

I think that maybe some of that might be unfair as I on my off days from work, don't exactly look like what my job and views of the world would suggest, so I don't know.

Yeah, I'm sorta flip flopping here a bit.
Yeah, I think most people as they get older get more subtle and try to blend in more, with exceptions, such as the gangsters, motorcycle gangs, etc.

Maybe Im just excessively attuned to detail but I think there are still subtle tells. I mean, everybody has to wear clothes, most people have hair, and a few accessories.

Its impossible to not communicate something about your personality via your external appearance, unless Im just way off here.

I will avoid motorcycle people because of my prior bad experience. Hippies usually smell like patchouli, have long hair, and loose flowy clothes often with flower prints or embroidery.

Preppies will be wearing dockers, button ups, polo shirts, v-neck sweaters, pearl necklaces, tennis bracelets, and tailored pant/skirt suits.

Do you ever wear a band t-shirt on your days off? Seems like that would communicate your metal lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I am a city city girl, born and raised. In the States I live in an upscale neighborhood in a trendy/ hipster California beach city. My usual MO was dating college educated suit and tie type professional guys. (No shortage of types where I live/lived.)
Today I am on a small farm in the southeastern part of France and expecting a child with a guy who has a high school diploma and a couple years of trade school. The closest city of any size is about 40km south of us. Haven’t worn a stitch of make up in months, my roots are showing and my nails are a mess. Lots of dirt, mud, smelly animals ( and their poo), and tons of physical work every day.
I am in the process of moving here permanently and I’ve never been happier or more content in my entire life. Go figure? Lol

Old 01-30-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am a city city girl, born and raised. In the States I live in an upscale neighborhood in a trendy/ hipster California beach city. My usual MO was dating college educated suit and tie type professional guys. (No shortage of types where I live/lived.)
Today I am on a small farm in the southeastern part of France and expecting a child with a guy who has a high school diploma and a couple years of trade school. The closest city of any size is about 40km south of us. Haven’t worn a stitch of make up in months, my roots are showing and my nails are a mess. Lots of dirt, mud, smelly animals ( and their poo), and tons of physical work every day.
I am in the process of moving here permanently and I’ve never been happier or more content in my entire life. Go figure? Lol
That sounds so lovely! I also lived in a so cal beach town (parents still there) but I moved to a rural place in another state. Also much happier here!

Congratulations on your baby.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:27 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Yeah, I think most people as they get older get more subtle and try to blend in more, with exceptions, such as the gangsters, motorcycle gangs, etc.

Maybe Im just excessively attuned to detail but I think there are still subtle tells. I mean, everybody has to wear clothes, most people have hair, and a few accessories.

Its impossible to not communicate something about your personality via your external appearance, unless Im just way off here.

I will avoid motorcycle people because of my prior bad experience. Hippies usually smell like patchouli, have long hair, and loose flowy clothes often with flower prints or embroidery.

Preppies will be wearing dockers, button ups, polo shirts, v-neck sweaters, pearl necklaces, tennis bracelets, and tailored pant/skirt suits.

Do you ever wear a band t-shirt on your days off? Seems like that would communicate your metal lifestyle.
Practically all I wear is band t-shirts and jeans on my days off from work. I have long hair and a goatee, so I suppose that is my "subculture" is biker guy or metalhead, I don't know. At work I wear dress slacks and button down shirts with my hair in a pony tail. I work in a fancy shmancy office and all of the ladies here dress in a way for work that I couldn't tell you what they are into off-hours.

Same with the guys here in the office, they are all pretty much Chads, couldn't begin to guess. I suppose work and the office is a different sort of thing from what the initial OP is about.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:37 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
My husband is sporty and wears polos. I’m more of the artsy/earthy type. We still have a lot of common interests, especially cooking, gardening, hiking, travel, and movies.

I go to more sporting events than I ever did before. He goes to art openings and such with me. My wardrobe now has a ton of Ralph Lauren casual wear. He’s thrilled by things I bring him from the thrift store. We both like a bit of patchouli.

Downside is more social. He’s not keen on most of my friends. Some of his are a little dull for me. We’ve made a whole set of new friends we both get along with to fill the gaps.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Practically all I wear is band t-shirts and jeans on my days off from work. I have long hair and a goatee, so I suppose that is my "subculture" is biker guy or metalhead, I don't know. At work I wear dress slacks and button down shirts with my hair in a pony tail. I work in a fancy shmancy office and all of the ladies here dress in a way for work that I couldn't tell you what they are into off-hours.

Same with the guys here in the office, they are all pretty much Chads, couldn't begin to guess. I suppose work and the office is a different sort of thing from what the initial OP is about.
I suppose. Work is kind of a dress code usually. I always dressed preppy when I had an office job. So yeah its probably hard to categorize people based on office dress.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I agree that external appearance communicates something about personality. I don't agree that personality can be categorized into subculture labels like this.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:22 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'm probably closest to a gamer/tech subculture, but my politics preclude some of the easier stereotypes.

I've never dated anyone really in that subculture. Most of my girlfriends in college were way older, so there was always an age/cultural gap there.

Since then, I've been all over the board. Most of my girlfriends have been religious where I'm not. I've always been the breadwinner. I've generally been more well-traveled/cultured. I can date plenty of blue collar girls here, but it gets boring. I don't want 2.5 kids with a Chip and Jo house, and that just boggles the east TN mind.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I don’t fit into any one subculture, so it’s difficult to say if I date “outside” of my subculture. There’s a lot of overlap for me. Like I have a lot of tattoos (24+) and several piercings and have a bohemian-esque style and vibe, but I’m also super into “nerd”/“geek” culture, going back to grade school, and I’m an academic/bookworm. I like nature and some outdoorsy activities. I’m passionate about the arts and humanities and have a deep appreciation for the sciences, but I don’t necessarily look the part. I’m a gamer and I collect lightsabers and Hot Toys figures. I can spend hours discussing topics within the branch of metaphysics, especially cosmology, and comparative religion, since they’re my fields of study. I’m also a huge cinephile and have an immense passion for film theory. I’ve been collecting film scores since I was 12 and have over 2TB of just film scores and epic orchestral music. It’s a genre of music I’m extremely passionate about. Heck, I legally changed my entire name a few years ago, inspired by a contemporary classical piece that played a major role in personal transformations many years ago.

I’m also a city girl striving to embrace a more minimalist lifestyle.

My husband isn’t that far off. We’re very similar in many ways. He’s definitely part of many different subcultures. He’s a bookworm, writer, humanities nerd, STEM geek, sci-fi/fantasy geek, musician (guitar & harmonica), singer, comic artist, cinephile, loves blues, alternative and rock, gamer (though not as much as me), and lives in cargo shorts, graphic tees, and flip flops or barefoot shoes. Martial arts is his profession, as an instructor and professional competitor. He has zero tattoos. His appearance is much more clean cut.

I’d say my best partners have been very, very similar across many different areas. I have a type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships