Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Seriously?

Once or twice a week is a lot?
someone published a 19 paragraph article about it. if it was 1nce every 2 years i would understand the outrage. most persons go out/date on the weekends so i would think 1nce every other week would be normal ? but saying 2wice a week is little is weird.

not even when i was in college did most of my roomates get that much (maybe 1 or 2 a semester).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-03-2020 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 02:21 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,210 times
I think Millennials might be more realistic about the future and their opportunities, with the poorer economy, plus better access to birth control, information, etc., and this is shaping their behavior.

I grew up in the 80s when the economy was booming and everybody expected that to continue indefinitely. People were more optimistic about the future, survival seemed guaranteed, and as a result things were pretty hedonistic.

But imagine growing up in the recession times of the 2000s. Being more pessimistic, more careful about life choices, more wary of unwanted pregnancy, more careful about casual sex, and more survival focused, rather than pleasure focused, would make sense (if people are smart).

Old 02-03-2020, 03:57 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
from the article:is this normal for millenials ? seems like a lot to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Once or twice a week is "a lot"??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Seriously?

Once or twice a week is a lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i know youre being facetious but no one else jumped on it so... the headline implied that a whole generation is barely having sex; and then, towards the end she mentions she has regular sex once or twice a week (clik-bait).
didnt want to hi-jack this thread so i made a poll over here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...e-you-had.html

Old 02-03-2020, 05:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of this is dependent on your class and social culture. Here in Appalachia, most women still marry in their 20s to their high school or college sweetheart.
Aren't a lot of people there on food stamps, though? What's the point in getting married and having kids you can't afford, because you're young and unemployed or underemployed?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-03-2020 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As for the response of Auraliea.....well that response seems to be almost a politically motivated hostility toward traditional attitudes towards marriage which drives her view of the institution of marriage. I’m guessing some kind of feminist or “metoo” type motivation behind it. The “people have something called a brain” statement is really revealing about the potential hostility this poster may have towards men and traditional marriage. This seems to be a sad trend which has manifested itself in the millennial generation.
Wow, I have no idea how you get that from this:

Quote:
Ummm because people have something called a brain and have the ability to make decisions not purely based on "biology." People love to grab onto the naturalistic fallacy when they don't understand how some people DARE to be different from them....
Knowing Auraliea's posts and opinions since she joined, I can tell you you're way off. All she's saying, is that there's no need to marry young, perhaps implying that there's more to life than marriage, and there's no need to cave to societal pressure. She comes from a traditional part of the country, where she's been pressured to partner up by all and sundry, but she's a smart cookie, and wants more for herself than to have kids at a young age. She's capable of so much more!

And besides, I don't know how people think it's so easy to just go out and find a compatible partner in one's community by a certain deadline, but life just doesn't magically fall together like that for a lot of people. In fact, in some of those conservative parts of the country where marriage happens young, divorce happens young, too. Some people rush into marriage because it's expected of them, and there's societal pressure to do that. Those are terrible reasons to get married. And yet plenty of people do make that mistake, and regret it later.

I think your interpretation says a lot more about you than it does about Auraliea.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-03-2020 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
she's a smart cookie
...and capable of speaking for herself.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
...and capable of speaking for herself.
I can defend whomever I want, and compliment people, who I feel deserve compliments. At the moment, that's Auraliea.

You GO, girl!

Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
L.M.A.O

Thanks for the laugh.... that made my day. If anyone has any hostility towards anything, it's you. I didn't anything about feminism or Metoo, you did. I don't have a problem with men or marriage, I just think the argument "we have to do this because biology says so" is stupid and used as cop out. And it makes you look like a hypocrite. There's nothing in biology that says anything about traditional marriage or society, we created that. Which proves my theory that people use their brains when it's convenient. We we deconstruct a lot of the "norms" of society, it's easier to see the flaws and make better decisions for yourself. If you're as happy as you claim to be and think your way is the way that people need to live, why are you on this bored constantly judging and complaining about us bad ole millennials? Why are you so concerned about us instead of your traditional marriage? Make that make sense please.
I’m glad you think it’s funny. Actually there is nothing funny about the constant attacks on our society being made by young people. You say marriage is a social construct....it seems to be implied that you and others of your age group see marriage as old fashioned. I ask this of you, what then should replace marriage? Should we be a society of promiscuous people going from partner to partner? If so how are children to be raised? By the state? Who will pay to raise these fatherless children? What about the quality of the upbringing of children produced in a post marital society? What will replace a stable man in the lives of children? The family helps bind society together, in a post marital world core families will be rare. Baby mommas, baby daddies, all the new “uncles” in and out of children’s lives. It is a pathetic trade off to give up the stable nuclear family for what I just described. From everything I have seen my description of promiscuity and baby mommas and daddies is what is replacing marriage. I just do not understand how your generation does not understand this fact, I don’t see how your age group does not desire what is normal to desire....a stable loving marriage and children.

The decline of marriage is damaging our society. This is a fact.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I’m glad you think it’s funny. Actually there is nothing funny about the constant attacks on our society being made by young people. You say marriage is a social construct....it seems to be implied that you and others of your age group see marriage as old fashioned. I ask this of you, what then should replace marriage? Should we be a society of promiscuous people going from partner to partner? If so how are children to be raised? By the state? Who will pay to raise these fatherless children? What about the quality of the upbringing of children produced in a post marital society? What will replace a stable man in the lives of children? The family helps bind society together, in a post marital world core families will be rare. Baby mommas, baby daddies, all the new “uncles” in and out of children’s lives. It is a pathetic trade off to give up the stable nuclear family for what I just described. From everything I have seen my description of promiscuity and baby mommas and daddies is what is replacing marriage. I just do not understand how your generation does not understand this fact, I don’t see how your age group does not desire what is normal to desire....a stable loving marriage and children.

The decline of marriage is damaging our society. This is a fact.
I agree, its not funny. It doesnt have to be black and white though. To not abscribe to the church and the ideal of nuclear family forever married parents from 18 raising kids in perfect matrimony...doesnt automatically mean promiscious tarts having kinky sex with every deadbeat bad boy and raising generations of new deadbeats, costing our govt billions in CPS salaries, food stamps, and section 8 housing.

Theres a middle ground.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I lived in the upper Midwest from about 22 to 32 (Wisconsin, then IL) and I didn't see any difference there. Exactly one friend married in that time frame, a woman I dated at 27 or 28, I forget which.

Not sure where you are getting the 10,000 year number from, but marriage has been many different things to different people and different societies. Marriage for love is a relatively new reason for marriage, very new in fact, historically speaking.

I have zero idea what feminism (aka equal rights and opportunities) or #metoo (anti sexual harassment) has anything to do with this at all. Not sure why you brought them up.

We know that with waiting until maturity, and waiting until one has some experience dating, that deciding to marry later, if one chooses to, results in longer lasting unions. The fact that people are less likely to feel obligated or pressured by society to drive them into a married they're not ready for, or interested in, is a truly fantastic thing. Yay freedom and autonomy.
If you are my age then we must have been in two different worlds if you suggest young adult in the late 80s and early 90s did not marry in their 20s. In fact most published statistics claim women married on average at 23 and men at 26 back in 1990. It is also said that Gen X (my generation) married at a much higher rate than millennials did. This suggests that your circle that you claimed tended not to marry in their 20s or not marry at all are not statistically typical. As I said before though I do acknowledge that some urbanized areas may have higher average ages of first marriage. I’m sure people in San Francisco likely marry much later than they do here in East Tennessee.

As far as waiting to marry and dating around leading to longer lasting and better quality marriages I wholeheartedly disagree based on my own experience. I married my college sweetheart and I am still married to her today. I don’t regret that choice and do not feel I missed out on anything other than maybe the chance to catch an STD. In fact IMO opinion it is much easier to live a god pleasing life when you marry young. Obviously sleeping around and spending 10 drunk years going bed to bed is a sinful lifestyle. Young marriage is a safer and more wholesome way to live. I know my Bible Belt values are not popular in some parts of the country but many of us still hold Christian family values dear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships