Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I’m glad you think it’s funny. Actually there is nothing funny about the constant attacks on our society being made by young people. You say marriage is a social construct....it seems to be implied that you and others of your age group see marriage as old fashioned. I ask this of you, what then should replace marriage? Should we be a society of promiscuous people going from partner to partner? If so how are children to be raised? By the state? Who will pay to raise these fatherless children? What about the quality of the upbringing of children produced in a post marital society? What will replace a stable man in the lives of children? The family helps bind society together, in a post marital world core families will be rare. Baby mommas, baby daddies, all the new “uncles” in and out of children’s lives. It is a pathetic trade off to give up the stable nuclear family for what I just described. From everything I have seen my description of promiscuity and baby mommas and daddies is what is replacing marriage. I just do not understand how your generation does not understand this fact, I don’t see how your age group does not desire what is normal to desire....a stable loving marriage and children.

The decline of marriage is damaging our society. This is a fact.
Except it's simply YOUR opinion, not a fact. Just like Auraliea has her own opinion.

It almost seems like your jealous of the fact that young people like myself don't subscribe to this idea of marrying young and having kids thing, and either deciding to wait and hold off on it, OR, gasp, deciding that marriage and kids aren't for a particular individual.

Quote:
As far as waiting to marry and dating around leading to longer lasting and better quality marriages I wholeheartedly disagree based on my own experience. I married my college sweetheart and I am still married to her today. I don’t regret that choice and do not feel I missed out on anything other than maybe the chance to catch an STD. In fact IMO opinion it is much easier to live a god pleasing life when you marry young. Obviously sleeping around and spending 10 drunk years going bed to bed is a sinful lifestyle. Young marriage is a safer and more wholesome way to live. I know my Bible Belt values are not popular in some parts of the country but many of us still hold Christian family values dear.
Ah, the truth comes out as to why you feel that way. I'm a Christian myself, but I definitely never desired to marry the first person I dated. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and a lot of people do it.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:14 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
I'm a millennial and I think millennials are too sensitive. You can't say anything to anybody especially if it's the truth and forget about cracking good jokes.

I once told a guy I was dating that we weren't having enough sex. Of course I only said it to let him know I liked it and wanted more. I think we were only having sex every other week. And he got offended I even brought it up. No sex for everyone then.

Not sure if this generation also has more narcissists but it seems like a lot of people are in love with themselves so they don't need a partner.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:45 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Except it's simply YOUR opinion, not a fact. Just like Auraliea has her own opinion.

It almost seems like your jealous of the fact that young people like myself don't subscribe to this idea of marrying young and having kids thing, and either deciding to wait and hold off on it, OR, gasp, deciding that marriage and kids aren't for a particular individual.

Ah, the truth comes out as to why you feel that way. I'm a Christian myself, but I definitely never desired to marry the first person I dated. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and a lot of people do it.
Yeah, where I live...when I came back from college, the dating pool was minimal. People were either 1. Engaged to their high school sweet heart or 2. Hurried up and married their HS sweet heart.

Some women in my town were still holding on to their boyfriends that headed off to college, visiting each other every weekend. I'm sure that was quite a lot of gas money.

Anyways, I never really understood why anyone would marry their high school sweet heart, when they KNOW they go off to college and have a diverse set of options to choose from. As if their first-ever g/f was the end-all, be all "true love".

My desire to get married went into my mid 20. NEver even thought about it in my late teens. Some get married before legal drinking age. SO they cannot even drink at their own wedding, unless they snuck it in lol

Old 02-04-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are tons of them using census data. I've posted them year over year rebutting the mythology of the 50% divorce rate.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-myth-of-the-high-rate-of-divorce/
Well, the trade off here is that people are marrying less.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
I’m glad you think it’s funny. Actually there is nothing funny about the constant attacks on our society being made by young people. You say marriage is a social construct....it seems to be implied that you and others of your age group see marriage as old fashioned. I ask this of you, what then should replace marriage? Should we be a society of promiscuous people going from partner to partner? If so how are children to be raised? By the state? Who will pay to raise these fatherless children? What about the quality of the upbringing of children produced in a post marital society? What will replace a stable man in the lives of children? The family helps bind society together, in a post marital world core families will be rare. Baby mommas, baby daddies, all the new “uncles” in and out of children’s lives. It is a pathetic trade off to give up the stable nuclear family for what I just described. From everything I have seen my description of promiscuity and baby mommas and daddies is what is replacing marriage. I just do not understand how your generation does not understand this fact, I don’t see how your age group does not desire what is normal to desire....a stable loving marriage and children.

The decline of marriage is damaging our society. This is a fact.
Quote:
If you are my age then we must have been in two different worlds if you suggest young adult in the late 80s and early 90s did not marry in their 20s. In fact most published statistics claim women married on average at 23 and men at 26 back in 1990. It is also said that Gen X (my generation) married at a much higher rate than millennials did. This suggests that your circle that you claimed tended not to marry in their 20s or not marry at all are not statistically typical. As I said before though I do acknowledge that some urbanized areas may have higher average ages of first marriage. I’m sure people in San Francisco likely marry much later than they do here in East Tennessee.

As far as waiting to marry and dating around leading to longer lasting and better quality marriages I wholeheartedly disagree based on my own experience. I married my college sweetheart and I am still married to her today. I don’t regret that choice and do not feel I missed out on anything other than maybe the chance to catch an STD. In fact IMO opinion it is much easier to live a god pleasing life when you marry young. Obviously sleeping around and spending 10 drunk years going bed to bed is a sinful lifestyle. Young marriage is a safer and more wholesome way to live. I know my Bible Belt values are not popular in some parts of the country but many of us still hold Christian family values dear.
the 80's - 90's had 5x more crime than we do now. i dont think marriage is magically making society safer.

strict catholism also believes that one is not allowed to have sex with ones spouse unless their intent is to produce a child. so even when marrying young, most couples are sinful heathens in the eyes of god.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-04-2020 at 04:46 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 05:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Well, the trade off here is that people are marrying less.

That's not a "trade off". It's not a negative at all. Every person/couple that decides not to marry because they're not ready, not with the right person, etc is a divorce avoided.

So, its a win win, in fact.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
That's not a "trade off". It's not a negative at all. Every person/couple that decides not to marry because they're not ready, not with the right person, etc is a divorce avoided.

So, its a win win, in fact.
Right, it's a divorce avoided, which thusly lessens the divorce stats percentage.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Right, it's a divorce avoided, which thusly lessens the divorce stats percentage.

Yes, a good thing. As I said, its a win win. The divorce rate of first marriages is low. Fantastic.
Nobody should be complaining.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, a good thing. As I said, its a win win. The divorce rate of first marriages is low. Fantastic.
Nobody should be complaining.
Meh, "fantastic" is too strong of a word. I'd say a slight improvement.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Meh, "fantastic" is too strong of a word. I'd say a slight improvement.

A declining divorce rate among first marriages is a "slight" improvement? It's dropped dramatically since the early 80s.

Now, more than ever in society, people are marrying less because of peer and family and societal pressures, and more because they really want to marry. That's fantastic to me. Fewer divorces, more freedom and autonomy in decision making. That's not "slight" to me. That's awesome and huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships