Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 03:33 PM

23,305 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyW View Post
Yes I agree & if he was in his early to mid 20s I would get that but at age 30 surely you realise people matter more then money.
Looking back on it from a much older age I disagree. 30 can still be still be very young (as in gotta go out and conquer the world) OP. Especially if he thinks he's just now hitting his stride in his chosen work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
OP spends a lot of time alone working from home and probably staying at home because her friends and family are “working” and such. Depending on her b/f for her livelihood isn’t going to bode well for either of them after a while.
Get off your butt and find a hobby, take a class, volunteer at a shelter, food bank, church. Guess what... you’ll meet people like yourself and probably make new friends. Make a life for yourself!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My husband has always worked hard. He isn’t happy unless he is. If he had a job that was more than 9-5:00, he would still find a project to keep his daylight hours full of something. When the kids were young he put the extra hours into them. There are worse things than having a hard working man.
The thing is, OP needs to have a fulfilled life, without depending upon someone else. She should try being too busy when he wants something.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband has always worked hard. He isn’t happy unless he is. If he had a job that was more than 9-5:00, he would still find a project to keep his daylight hours full of something. When the kids were young he put the extra hours into them. There are worse things than having a hard working man.
The thing is, OP needs to have a fulfilled life, without depending upon someone else. She should try being too busy when he wants something.
There is a distinct difference in being hard working and a workaholic. OP’s situation is a clear case of the latter. His work habits are clearly detrimental to this relationship.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Would he notice if you weren't there? How did you date if he was working so much? He isn't wrong for wanting to work so much and you aren't wrong for wanting to spend more time with him. I wouldn't suggest bringing children into the mix because the chances are he would still work all the time.... even if he said he would charge. You need to find things to do on your own that you enjoy. You also need to decide if you need to leave the relationship. Perhaps you should go to a counselor to discuss your feelings and maybe learn some ways to cope with feeling second to your bf's job.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyW View Post
Oh I cook him dinner most nights but he just reheats it when he gets home.

Yeah I know I do need to really consider if I can continue on with this, it’s just really hard when you love someone.
Love isn't enough. You love someone who's barely even there. It's almost like loving a dead person. Like Ellie said you're more in love with the idea of him and the potential you imagine than actually being in love with who he actually is.

I think maybe the big factor for you is you've put a lot of time and energy into this relationship and you don't want to let it go. But you'll need to if you want to find someone who's actually available. He isn't. And as other said, you shouldn't think he's going to change.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-10-2020 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You are certainly entitled to how you feel.

Until things change, I suggest that you focus more on ways to enjoy the time that you do have with him.

In time he will burn-out. When that happens he will need your support.
Uggh! Why tell her to focus on staying in a relationship where she's not happy!!?? They're not married, no kids involved. There's no point in staying.

She shouldn't stay for years and years just to be there to pick up the pieces when he burns out.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a brother, Stephen, who is a workaholic. He will happily work 12 hour days for weeks, months on end. On average of about every 5 years, he will work himself into a state of exhaustion and he gets a flu. These flus are always bad and every time they require a full week in a hospital bed with IV antibiotics to get him through. Followed by a month of at-home recovery then he goes back to work.

Every time this has happened he promises to not work so hard. But five years later he is back in hospital.

In Stephens case, at 50 his health got so bad that he went onto SSDI. You can not treat your body like that without damaging it.
And so...again...why should she stay if this or some other rotten outcome is the most likely result????

Old 02-10-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Looking back on it from a much older age I disagree. 30 can still be still be very young (as in gotta go out and conquer the world) OP. Especially if he thinks he's just now hitting his stride in his chosen work.
Agreed.

Most women realize by 30 that relationships matter more than money because their bio clocks are kicking in. It's much different for most men.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
How did you date if he was working so much?
This is a very good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships