Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:42 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,276,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Exactly. I keep a comprehensive spreadsheet to track my bills and spending. The way I see it, if I were to suddenly settle down with the full slate of engagement, wedding, home mortgage, health insurance, pregnancy of wife within a few months, etc. then it would grossly overwhelm my spreadsheet. I would have to get a higher-grade consulting project - most likely in something like machine learning or artificial intelligence and market myself at about 30-50% more pay. In today's job market, it's not unrealistic to get a project like that. But those jobs are usually much more stressful. Meanwhile, homelife would get much more expensive too. Then the bills would pile up with engagement, wedding, mortgage, health insurance, babysitters, etc. I wonder how many couples truly look at those details? Probably not as much as there should be - hence divorces tend to spike around Valentine's Day.

To be fair, a reasonably successful marriage is possible - but it would take a lot of careful planning and reasonable compatibility of the couple in many dimensions: parenthood style, politics, education, athleticism (or not), religion, in-laws, etc. I admire the couples who are somehow able to go the distance into elderly stages of life and stay married despite all the hidden variables of difficulty that can pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyHjBsO1J4
True. Its just not the 50s (and earlier) anymore when marriage was pretty much a requirement. I understand why most people did it back then and I think it was mutually beneficial. Gender roles were entrenched and men and women needed each other, practically to survive.

I guess some people still do the gender role thing and enjoy being interdependent on a spouse. I mean I like to cook, I take care of my house, I could see plugging the right guy in here, if he was easy company and contributed something.

But I can already imagine the "complications." Most people arent that easy or low maintenance. I'd pay for it one way or another.

Perhaps its jaded, but its just what I have experienced too many times for it to be coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 AM

11,783 posts, read 12,017,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Or you can just fall in love, pool your resources and go for broke. That works too. No planning, no shared opinions or background or interests, just being on the same page on the stuff that matters, honesty, love, finances , life style, kids. Lots of compromises. Letting each other be themselves. A willingness and desire to overcome obstacles and stick it out.
Good point.

Overwhelm the spreadsheet....

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Love is a man made word used for marketing purposes.. the fuzzy feelings you get early on are simply lust combined with the excitement of meeting someone new..

There is no unconditional “love” outside of parent child relationships..whatever what people want to call love is is very fleeting and people change all the time and fall out of that feeling..it isn’t special it’s just a term used to market and it’s good because it keeps the traditional family structure together buys in reality it doesn’t mean much..

Also people are inherently selfish..

Sour grapes, sounds like.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:04 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Love is a man made word used for marketing purposes.. the fuzzy feelings you get early on are simply lust combined with the excitement of meeting someone new..

There is no unconditional “love” outside of parent child relationships..whatever what people want to call love is is very fleeting and people change all the time and fall out of that feeling..it isn’t special it’s just a term used to market and it’s good because it keeps the traditional family structure together buys in reality it doesn’t mean much..

Also people are inherently selfish..

How do you explain connections where those same feelings, or stronger ones, are there for decades?

I have not sought unconditional love, personally.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,952,281 times
I agree. I think there is love, I don't think there is unconditional love, unless you have a mental defect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How do you explain connections where those same feelings, or stronger ones, are there for decades?

I have not sought unconditional love, personally.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:20 PM

29,732 posts, read 34,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Pffft.

Good luck with any man who tried to pull that nonsense with the women in my family.

In a healthy and well-balanced relationship, the people within it help to guide one another.
RIght? My parents will be celebrating their 60th anniversary this summer. If at any point in their relationship my dad had tried to mold my mother into something that she was not, they wouldn't be "celebrating" that milestone.

Even though I'm single, I'm really lucky that I have parents who were a true model of what a good relationship is. They respect each other; they like each other; and they've always be a united front and a team.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
RIght? My parents will be celebrating their 60th anniversary this summer. If at any point in their relationship my dad had tried to mold my mother into something that she was not, they wouldn't be "celebrating" that milestone.

Even though I'm single, I'm really lucky that I have parents who were a real model of what a good relationship is. They respect each other; they like each other; and they've always be a united front and a team.
Good thing your dad guided her well

Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 PM

71 posts, read 51,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Even though I'm single, I'm really lucky that I have parents who were a true model of what a good relationship is. They respect each other; they like each other; and they've always be a united front and a team.
I didn't say anything about 'molding her into something she's not'. I would expect a husband to choose a woman who shares his values. He should seek his wife's counsel but I think a man should be the moral authority in his household and lead his family. And of course, couples ought to respect and like one another, and be united. That goes without saying. But I think you'd have a hard time making the case that male-female relations or our families are stronger today than they were 60 years ago.

But I'm curious why you feel really lucky. Though you believe your parents offered you such an ideal model, you're still single at your age.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,848,475 times
Women are teases.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,583,395 times
You cannot count on another person. But you can count on extra work/effort to keep that person around/interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships