Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM

42,857 posts, read 18,056,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK. Breaking a lease isn't unlawful. Would that kind of stuff even be on there? I might say, "oh, you looked me up. I looked you up, too, just as a safety measure. So, now that we know we're both clean, can we go have fun? "

Honestly, I don't know. I think to some extent, you can catch red flags, or yellow flags, by observing someone carefully, noting the vibe, tone of voice, all manner of non-verbal communication. I've never done OLD, so I don't know what I'd do. I could speculate, but I don't think that would be helpful to anyone. You don't know what you'd do until you're in the situation.
Trust your gut and instincts when you meet face to face.
Remember you can be anyone you want over the internet. (There's even a song about that)

Old 02-09-2020, 11:01 AM

102,162 posts, read 107,560,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Just go up to the guy and ask him if he's married. If he says no then ask him to go out for coffee.
You're crushing on this guy so just get it over with else next you'll be following him.
I think she's asking for feedback, to decide whether to de-crush on him, or not. She seems to have decided pretty much, anyway. And he didn't take any initiative to turn the work relationship personal after she flirted with him, so it seems he's not interested for whatever reason. Maybe he's being professional, by not mixing work and pleasure. Maybe he has a gf. Maybe she's just not his type or maybe he knows she's older than him, so he's not into that, or maybe it's as the OP said; he's very accomplished and is high up in his field, and feels that because of that, they're in different leagues. It happens. Who knows?

But if someone fails to respond to clear overtures, I think a good policy is to honor that, and move on. I think that's a very safe bet re: the right thing to do.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,273,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think she's asking for feedback, to decide whether to de-crush on him, or not. She seems to have decided pretty much, anyway. And he didn't take any initiative to turn the work relationship personal after she flirted with him, so it seems he's not interested for whatever reason. Maybe he's being professional, by not mixing work and pleasure. Maybe he has a gf. Maybe she's just not his type or maybe he knows she's older than him, so he's not into that, or maybe it's as the OP said; he's very accomplished and is high up in his field, and feels that because of that, they're in different leagues. It happens. Who knows?

But if someone fails to respond to clear overtures, I think a good policy is to honor that, and move on. I think that's a very safe bet re: the right thing to do.
Yeah, pretty much this. I am trying to de-crush, not that we can really control how we feel about someone.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Yeah, pretty much this. I am trying to de-crush, not that we can really control how we feel about someone.
Step One would be to stop posting about him, here or anywhere.

You can control how often you think of someone, which helps tamp down the "feelings" you have. When you think of him, force yourself to think of something else. It's not a big mystery.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Step One would be to stop posting about him, here or anywhere.

You can control how often you think of someone, which helps tamp down the "feelings" you have. When you think of him, force yourself to think of something else. It's not a big mystery.
All right. I also have ocd though which makes it hard to control obsessive thoughts, and compulsions.

I can ask for help on the psych subforum maybe.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
All right. I also have ocd though which makes it hard to control obsessive thoughts, and compulsions.

I can ask for help on the psych subforum maybe.
Based on your history, you know how to deal with that. It’s not like this is your first rodeo.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 PM

I dont really want to argue about it. Believe it or not I attempt to manage things the best way I know how. To me a forum like this is a good grounding tool. If I didnt obsess about it here I would somewhere else. Might even act on it in real life which I have managed to not do, thank goodness. Apart from that night I stalked him on the street. But so far, so good. I havent bothered him or made a fool of myself irl.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I dont really want to argue about it. Believe it or not I attempt to manage things the best way I know how. To me a forum like this is a good grounding tool. If I didnt obsess about it here I would somewhere else. Might even act on it in real life which I have managed to not do, thank goodness. Apart from that night I stalked him on the street. But so far, so good. I havent bothered him or made a fool of myself irl.
Aren't you in your 40s?

At some point, when you KNOW the issue, it's on you to do the best you can to deal with the issue. To me, that includes recognizing when doing something is helping or actually just the issue in disguise.

I've dealt with obsessive thinking before, and you have to completely change your behaviors when you're trying to stop.

"Obsessing about it here" is still obsessing about it. It's not helping you.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Aren't you in your 40s?

At some point, when you KNOW the issue, it's on you to do the best you can to deal with the issue. To me, that includes recognizing when doing something is helping or actually just the issue in disguise.

I've dealt with obsessive thinking before, and you have to completely change your behaviors when you're trying to stop.

"Obsessing about it here" is still obsessing about it. It's not helping you.
I dont know, you cant just go up to a heroin addict and say "Just stop doing heroin right now." I mean, they have probably tried to stop. Its a bigger problem than just willpower. I have a dx condition.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I dont know, you cant just go up to a heroin addict and say "Just stop doing heroin right now." I mean, they have probably tried to stop. Its a bigger problem than just willpower. I have a dx condition.

Sure, but you can say, "Hey, maybe stop hanging out at the flophouse with all the other heroin addicts."

Like I said, step one ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships