Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
rocks stars live that life style. Not sure about people preparing to be REAL professionals. Especially law, where ethics should count.
And how's that any of YOUR business...?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
rocks stars live that life style. Not sure about people preparing to be REAL professionals. Especially law, where ethics should count.
WOW. I am sorry I dont fit your mold of someone thats preparing to be a professional. But at what point should one be "preparing," and what does this "preparing" consist of?
Does it start at undergrad? Preparing for the LSATs? Because as far back as I can remember, I was preparing for this from the moment in undergrad when I decided that lawschool was for me. But that had nothing to do with relationships.

See thats your problem. I dont fit your mold of what a guy my age should be like, and therefore I am immature, disrespectful of women, and too unethical to become an attorney. You are going to run into many surprises in life living in this dreamland.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
If you don't have time for a committed relationship with one girl then why don't you just be celibate until you do have time for a committed relationship with one girl. Casual sex that's just trashy.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
If you don't have time for a committed relationship with one girl then why don't you just be celibate until you do have time for a committed relationship with one girl. Casual sex that's just trashy.
I did not have time for a committed relationship when I was in grad school. And, I really did not care to make the time for it when I was just starting off in my job. I had casual sex, and there is nothing trashy about it. I am not a trashy person. Not wanting a committed relationship, when you are not ready for one, or don't feel like you are in a place where you are willing to compromise, give your all to the relationship is smart. And furthermore, not wanting a committed relationship does not mean you need to remove yourself from the dating pool - thats just silly.

Anyways, to the OP - you have already gotten a ton of advice, so I don't know that I can add anything.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Agreed. But ever heard of middle ground? What's wrong with seeing one girl every weekend or every other weekend for a roll in the hay, movies, dinner,cuddeling, talking, etc. At least you know who she is and it isn't some random person. You arn't using her at that point. You will start to see her as a HUMAN and connect like humans should, instead of being all animalistic about it. Just explain to her that you're busy studying law and can't be there for her 100% of the time. You are not desiring to begin a serious relationship, and you need space. I'm sure she will compromise and give you space and flexibility. Does that sound scarrry or tooo overwhelming for you? LOL. You obviously have enough time to go to bars and pool parties with your guy friends. Why not put aside some time for a cute girl that you get along with once a weekend or every other weekend, whatever fits for you. My idea sounds much more logical and mature. Now doesn't it?

Quote:

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-25-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 PM

lots of attorneys are unethical and undermine their clients and people they work with. All self gratification and selfishness is what it is about.

how do I live in a dreamland? I know how people are....and it doesn't look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
WOW. I am sorry I dont fit your mold of someone thats preparing to be a professional. But at what point should one be "preparing," and what does this "preparing" consist of?
Does it start at undergrad? Preparing for the LSATs? Because as far back as I can remember, I was preparing for this from the moment in undergrad when I decided that lawschool was for me. But that had nothing to do with relationships.

See thats your problem. I dont fit your mold of what a guy my age should be like, and therefore I am immature, disrespectful of women, and too unethical to become an attorney. You are going to run into many surprises in life living in this dreamland.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM

it's my business to say what I think is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And how's that any of YOUR business...?!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:

Casual sex that's just trashy.
Casual sex is what people have until they get good enough at it to have hot, passionate, intense sex.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post

We are all in grad school with the exception of one of us. Not that it makes a difference. But why would you need to be in college to make decisions on your own. We all chose the life that we live. I for one am living quite good without having to be with that "someone." Im 25, law school, and own a pretty damn good house in San Diego thats basically being paid for by renting it out.

Im just wondering why he's putting up with this. I wouldnt live in house with a bunch of potheads smoking weed all the time or gay dudes that live the same lifestyle we do.
So I guess the consensus is that he probably wouldnt like us anymore if told him he'd have to leave.
Im still hoping on figuring out a way to get him to understand, and get him to stop. But I figure that even if this happened, he would still be uncomfortable with the sitation and miserable.

btw, i have my own bathroom. so no need to hide the toothbrush
You ignored the quote I used. Purposely having loud sex so the whole house knows you're having it sounds like very silly college-age behavior. I didn't make any judgement on you for having lots of sex or say anything about your ability to make decisions.

I also agree with you that I don't understand why he's living with you, which is why I said your friend should move out, not that you should have to kick him out. If I were you, I'd probably have a talk with him about why he chooses to live in this house since he is so disturbed by the life-style of you and the other roommates. Some people are better off as friends than roommates, and unless HE is really immature, I don't see why you can't still be friends after he finds himself a better living situation.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
alright alright........

wesside,I personally am a introvert who spends alot of time wanting to be alone and specially because I am constantly playing guitar,so being a "one of the guys" roomate is not my style like your friend.

I'm currently renting a room from my life long friend,he always wonders why I don't hangout more but like I said that's the way I am while he likes to just hang with people or with a girlfriend.I miss living alone sometimes because of that.

But,if he has a girlfriend over (his wife left him after 16 years last year) I am happy about it,cool for him.Your friend should not make comments about it unless noise gets too loud or invades his space so he is wrong to put you or your girlfriend down.

On the other hand if he is more of a loner who doesn't want to party and hangout 24-7 you shouldn't rag on him about that either.In the end just like I have best friends but still different in lifestyle maybe you guys are just not compatible for living together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships