Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As someone who lives in a flat state with tall buildings everywhere, I love driving on highway where you can see off into the distance for miles. I get that part - I just don't get the claustrophobia from mountains thing.
The problem with LA's mountains is, they trap pollution. Air can't circulate. There's only the ocean side to bring in fresh air, IF the winds are favorable to that on a given day, but the foul air can't blow away. That's the reason CA instituted strict air quality standards starting way back sometime in the early 70's or so.

And the other potential problem, I would think, would be--what if you get brush fires up in the hills? What if they spread, so you're surrounded by fire? The only exit would be along the coast, either north or south. I can see how that could be a very unsettling thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 11:53 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The problem with LA's mountains is, they trap pollution. Air can't circulate. There's only the ocean side to bring in fresh air, IF the winds are favorable to that on a given day, but the foul air can't blow away. That's the reason CA instituted strict air quality standards starting way back sometime in the early 70's or so.

And the other potential problem, I would think, would be--what if you get brush fires up in the hills? What if they spread, so you're surrounded by fire? The only exit would be along the coast, either north or south. I can see how that could be a very unsettling thought.
you could also fall out of bed and die.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

Yep, I've spent extended periods of time there and understand that. But again, if you feel claustrophobic because of that, any average-sized room should do you in. And regarding the fire, those kind of thinkers should stay out of elevators in case they get stuck.

Oh well, to each his own - it just makes zero sense to me.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you could also fall out of bed and die.
Well, we're talking about someone who says mountains make her claustrophobic. She doesn't seem to have a fear of falling out of bed, or falling in general.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yep, I've spent extended periods of time there and understand that. But again, if you feel claustrophobic because of that, any average-sized room should do you in. And regarding the fire, those kind of thinkers should stay out of elevators in case they get stuck.

Oh well, to each his own - it just makes zero sense to me.
Well, I'll tell you something. After this thread, I'm going to avoid LA (not hard to do, but I"m making a mental note), and I may start thinking twice before using an elevator. Taking the stairs is such great exercise! Plus, you get to avoid any potential virus carriers.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you something. After this thread, I'm going to avoid LA (not hard to do, but I"m making a mental note), and I may start thinking twice before using an elevator. Taking the stairs is such great exercise!

LOL, don't forget areas with a lot of trees, Ruth.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 6,881 times
Quote:
I love driving on highway where you can see off into the distance for miles. I get that part - I just don't get the claustrophobia from mountains thing.
This is pretty much why I had an issue with the mountains. I am use to seeing far off into the distance in FL without any mountains blocking that view. Everywhere we drove was just mountains, ocean on the other side and seeing mostly desert traveling to Cali on the plane. At first I didn't mind the mountains and I was really excited, but after a few days I did feel claustrophobic. (Might be home sickness?) Not sure how to explain it any other way and I do apologize if its confusing or strange. Inside my place back in FL I could go outside and look out without seeing mountains or hills, with some trees, but mostly fields. I lived and grew up in the rural country side of FL, so there is flat land everywhere and some farm further down the street. At the California hotel we were staying in, you just saw nothing but mountains, ocean on the other side, lots of people, buildings and stacked houses. My Husband grew up in the city and is use to this view, but I am not much a city kind of person.

Last edited by AmberousRay; 05-15-2020 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 04:38 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
As someone who lives in a flat state with tall buildings everywhere, I love driving on highway where you can see off into the distance for miles. I get that part - I just don't get the claustrophobia from mountains thing.
Sounds like maybe the Pacific Coast Highway. Narrow road, ocean on one side, mountain on the other. Too close for comfort.

Or maybe OP didn't mean the exact use of the word "claustrophobia."

Old 05-15-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberousRay View Post
This is pretty much why I had an issue with the mountains. I am use to seeing far off into the distance in FL without any mountains blocking that view. Everywhere we drove was just mountains, ocean on the other side and seeing mostly desert traveling to Cali on the plane. At first I didn't mind the mountains and I was really excited, but after a few days I did feel claustrophobic. (Might be home sickness?) Not sure how to explain it any other way and I do apologize if its confusing or strange. Inside my place back in FL I could go outside and look out without seeing mountains or hills, with some trees, but mostly fields. I lived and grew up in the rural country side of FL, so there is flat land everywhere and some farm further down the street. At the California hotel we were staying in, you just saw nothing but mountains, ocean on the other side, lots of people, buildings and stacked houses. My Husband grew up in the city and is use to this view, but I am not much a city kind of person.
No need to apologize - you feel what you feel and it's not your fault that I don't quite get it.

I do get that large and bustling cities can absolutely stress out someone who grew up in a more suburban or rural area.

But like I posted earlier, there has to be some compromise between you if this marriage is going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Sounds like maybe the Pacific Coast Highway. Narrow road, ocean on one side, mountain on the other. Too close for comfort.

Or maybe OP didn't mean the exact use of the word "claustrophobia."
Oh man, I don't feel claustrophobic but I HATE driving that highway. I love the view, it's breathtaking, but it's a tense ride.

It takes but a second to make a mistake and you have a lot of time to think about it on the way down.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberousRay View Post
My Husband has always loved California and has dreamed of going back after his last job had him travel once every few months to California for work. He use to live there when he was a teen going to school and absolutely loves the weather. He never discussed this with me before marriage or when dating, that he planned to move back to California. (He claims this has always been his plan) I on the other hand am a Floridian and have Family down in Florida, love the Florida weather and the tropics.

The first time we moved for his first job, it was nearly 2 hours away in Sanford. The apartment got shot up and we had to move to another apartment, then he lost his job, we only have one car and I was having difficulties finding a stable job. The apartment started leaking and we had to move back to my home town. (Where I use to live when we were dating)
I found a part time job and he has been working at a new job down here that is more reasonable. We have been in the process of deciding between a house or apartment.
The plan was to build a life in Florida and maybe consider living in another State like Texas or near his Mother in Minnesota down the road, where we could establish another job prior.

Out of no where he brought up that he had been talking to a friend about starting a business. His friend lives in California and claims he is incredibly intelligent. He wants to move to California to search for more career opportunities, but there are several issues. 1) I never wanted to leave Florida anytime soon or want to live in California. I traveled to visit California once for a wedding and though it was pretty, I didn't want to stay there long. (I am not use to seeing mountains and ocean on one side. I felt claustrophobic and in general, felt home sick..I did not like it after a few days passed. Was getting nauseous and was physically ill.) 2) He wants to move to California without a job or as he told me "Take the risk". I asked if he could find a similar job that would allow him to travel to California once in a few months, like a travel for business kind of job, but he presses how he wishes to live there permanently.

What is the best way to solve this situation?
Does your husband have a history of mental issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships