Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 11:13 AM

22 posts, read 14,415 times

Advertisements

I have 23 years and my 32-year-old girlfriend wants a baby ASAP, she told her biological clock is “running out”. I want baby also, but I have no money. She told me she can sustain a baby financially. Why do I still worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 11:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,246,568 times
Don't have a child or commingle your finances till you're married.

The line about biological clock is BS. My aunt had two children well past age 40, in the 1950s.

Get married first, then start a family. If she won't do that, then keep your raincoat on.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:29 AM

We talk about getting married. We have huge chemistry and she is financially well being

Old 04-29-2020, 11:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,246,568 times
Don't "think about it" till you find yourself with an out of wedlock baby and child support for the next 25 years.
And keep your raincoat on!

Old 04-29-2020, 11:51 AM

I won't leave her. We are together for 4 years despite everybody telling us that we have too big of an age gap to be in a relationship. All I can do is tell her I don't want children before marriage.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,980,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimber View Post
I won't leave her. We are together for 4 years despite everybody telling us that we have too big of an age gap to be in a relationship. All I can do is tell her I don't want children before marriage.

That's fine. But for your own sake, if you're not ready for kids, wear a condom. Every time.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:52 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,482,017 times
Quote:
Then marry her! The age gap isn't a matter of chronological time anyway. If you two are at a compatible point in your lives (what you want and need out of life and a partner at this point) maybe you are ready for a formal commitment. The fact that you are writing this suggests that you aren't on the same page. If your GF can't see this and respect your views about having children, don't. Partnership is about respect and understanding. If you don't have it, forget it.

FWIW, my youngest sister married a man 20+ years her senior. They have been happily married for over 25 years and raised two college age sons. They have many of the same interests, work in the same profession, share many of the same values. The timing worked for them despite the chronological gap in age. Does that always work out? Of course not. Depends on the self awareness and maturity of the people involved.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:01 PM

102,128 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
I have 23 years and my 32-year-old girlfriend wants a baby ASAP, she told her biological clock is “running out”. I want baby also, but I have no money. She told me she can sustain a baby financially. Why do I still worry?
I'm going to disagree with the others a little here, and suggest you postpone marriage until you're on your feet financially. Having huge chemistry isn't enough to sustain a marriage long term. Have you discussed what your financial future would look like together? Would she be ok with being the main "Breadwinner", even if you do get some kind of job/career? And where are you with regards to your education and your life goals? Do you have concrete plans to improve your financial present and future?

Her bio clock is nowhere near running out. Maybe her hormones have kicked into high gear, pushing her in that direction, IDK. Or maybe this is just her way of pushing you into marriage, or of using you as a sperm donor. We have no idea, without knowing the two of you better.

But don't give in to pressure, if it doesn't feel like the right time to make such a huge decision and commitment.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:03 PM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times
NEVER be pressured into having a child.

Nobody wins.

How long have you two been a couple?

Old 04-29-2020, 01:11 PM

102,128 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
NEVER be pressured into having a child.

Nobody wins.

How long have you two been a couple?
He said 4 years, IOW, since he was 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships