Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 04:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times

Advertisements

Asking strangers on the internet whether you should have a baby is a pretty good indication that you shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So if you had a baby, would you be the primary caregiver while she works? Have you talked about what your plan would be financially?
Agree. Have you considered that she might want to take time off work before and after the baby, and does she for sure want to go back to work once the baby is born? Someone has to take care of this baby. Will that be you, then? Full time?

Having a baby will be a life long commitment for you. Make sure you are really ready and not having any second thoughts. Don't do this just for her. Don't do it just to keep her. Have you two at least talked about getting married, or talked about any other long term future plans to be together?

Old 04-29-2020, 06:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Agree. Have you considered that she might want to take time off work before and after the baby, and does she for sure want to go back to work once the baby is born? Someone has to take care of this baby. Will that be you, then? Full time?

Having a baby will be a life long commitment for you. Make sure you are really ready and not having any second thoughts. Don't do this just for her. Don't do it just to keep her. Have you two at least talked about getting married, or talked about any other long term future plans to be together?
These are really good points, OP. Have you two worked out a schedule for who would take care of the baby when?

Does your country allow extended baby leave for the mother, with pay? If so, problem solved! If not, are you ready to give up your studies at least temporarily, to take care of the baby? Do you know how to take care of babies? And what happens, if she takes a 6 month baby leave or 1 year, or however much her employer allows, but after that, she has to go back to work. How will you take care of the baby while going to class and doing coursework? Even if she's caring for the baby, she can't do it 'round the clock. She'll need sleep. Are you ok with getting up at midnight, and 3 a.m. to feed the baby?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 PM

599 posts, read 262,976 times
No. Just say no! I would say tell her to get a pet but she doesn't sound responsible to take care of an animal. The fact that she is overlooking your age and economic status is a red flag for CRAZYYYY! Run forest run! Don't you want to develop a career, get an education, learn how to plan for your future?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimber View Post
We talk about getting married. We have huge chemistry and she is financially well being

Perfect.

Marry for money not love and then trade up in a few years. Keep doing that 3 times over and you'll be set for life.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:34 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
[/b]

Perfect.

Marry for money not love and then trade up in a few years. Keep doing that 3 times over and you'll be set for life.
Good point, it worked for John McCain and John Kerry.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:53 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
O.P.. You state you 23 years old.

If this goes wrong, you will be paying for the next 25 years.

That is obviously longer then you have been alive.

Give it some thought.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:56 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Prenuptial agreement.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:02 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Good point, it worked for John McCain and John Kerry.
Worked for me!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:19 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimber View Post
We talk about getting married. We have huge chemistry and she is financially well being
How is YOUR financial well-being? If it's not so good, does she want to be financially-responsible for *two* kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't have a child or commingle your finances till you're married.

The line about biological clock is BS. My aunt had two children well past age 40, in the 1950s.

Get married first, then start a family. If she won't do that, then keep your raincoat on.
I wouldn't want kids much past 30. My parents were in their 30s... odd to know people older than me whose parents were younger than mine. Nor would I want to be chasing toddlers around when too old, or end up being one of those people who has to put off their retirement because that's when the kid is going to college. I absolutely understand why she wants to get this started ASAP, even if I don't think it's going to work out well with the age gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And she was 28, which is odd. Stranger things have happened and they may be the most functional couple ever, but when I was 28 I couldn't have imagined dating a guy barely out of his teens.
And I can't imagine a guy barely in his 20s being happy in a few years that he settled down right away and had one or more kids, either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
OP,

You are simply at different places in life and at different stages of life. It is simply time to change the nature of your relationship and part company on an amicable basis. It is no one's fault, no one is at blame, but you are on different trajectories in life, and though you may walk the same path in life, your time on that path is in the distant future, while her time on that path is now. Mature adults would recognize this and respond accordingly.

Consider there are roughly 4 billion other woman on the planet; there is no one woman for you, but many such women, just as for her there are many men.

Op, you are entitled to a life, a chance to test your mettle and truly learn who you are; it is hard to to do that when the yoke of parental responsibility is fastened to you and forces its shape on you before you ever were allowed to grow into your true form. Walk away, amicably, and with love and go have yourself a life and maturing at your natural rate rather than having someone else's biological clock mold your life for you.

OP, one more thing. I suggest you make a new post, add in some details and post it as a poll. I think the results of said poll might prove enlightening to you. You don't know what you don't know. Youth cannot compensate for lack of the decades of experience many of us in this forum have from not only our personal lives but the decades of experience we have had in observing the relationships of others. I think such a poll might give you pause.
All of this. And, to put the shoe on the other foot, she is entitled to a life where she has kids if she wants them and not too late, with someone else's biological youth not molding her life for her. IOW, it will be very hard to compromise about this.

"Age is just a number" to an extent... but there are life stages and milestones in life that can be difficult to mesh together in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These are really good points, OP. Have you two worked out a schedule for who would take care of the baby when?

Does your country allow extended baby leave for the mother, with pay? If so, problem solved! If not, are you ready to give up your studies at least temporarily, to take care of the baby? Do you know how to take care of babies? And what happens, if she takes a 6 month baby leave or 1 year, or however much her employer allows, but after that, she has to go back to work. How will you take care of the baby while going to class and doing coursework? Even if she's caring for the baby, she can't do it 'round the clock. She'll need sleep. Are you ok with getting up at midnight, and 3 a.m. to feed the baby?
...as you should anyway, since it's also your baby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships