Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times

Advertisements

A "cute couple" is something many people say, but few people properly define. So let's give it a shot. What does make a cute couple "cute"? What traits does a cute couple usually have?

In my experience, it was either: (A) both partners are relatively young, equal or close in attractiveness level, and acting in silly, high-school-like ways, like constantly flirting or playfully bantering with each other; or (B) both are senior citizens, but still visibly in love and/or acting similar to couples in variant A.

But I'm sure there are other "cute" traits, since the term "cute couple" is subjective. Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
I agree. Playful banter, silly/nerdy jokes that only they laugh at, finishing each others' thoughts, automatically prepping coffee for the other just the way they like it without realizing it, knowing each other so well that they slay at charades, some small PDA but not over the top, appear to seamlessly divide tasks or tackle challenges as a team, when one smiles the other one can't help but smile back, etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:31 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
OK, Mill-Urb. This is an odd question, coming from you. I was about to jump into responding, until I saw it was you, who was the OP. What brings this particular question up in your mind? Why do you suddenly care who's a cute couple? Pardon me, but those of us who know you here, can't help but wonder, if I may speak for at least a few of our other members.

Anyway, I don't think it's about behavior. I think it's about two people who both have a young, "cute" appearance (vs. say, a naturally sophisticated look). A well-matched couple with regards to a certain type of outward appearance.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:37 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Counting down to the misogyny in 3....2....1....

Old 05-19-2020, 10:35 AM

645 posts, read 750,366 times
I suppose they have to be decent looking to be considered cute. I seen some really ugly couples

Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 AM

20,375 posts, read 14,647,504 times
I think that it could be either or both.

Two people who both have not only attractive appearances, but a compatible style, like if one found out that two stunning celebrities got together... One might observe with little other information that they are a "cute couple."

But no one would say that, if they were seen screaming at each other in the street.

So at least the presumption of happiness needs to be there.

Though a couple who are not extremely beautiful people, yet seem very happy to be together, and show it in ways that everyone notices...will also often be referred to as a "cute couple." The gestures and the behavior might be cute, if it seems to come from genuine happiness and affection.

I have a distant relative from a long neglected branch of my family tree, I saw a photo of her and her husband, and while they do seem to be in love, they are two of the most legitimately hideous human beings I've ever seen. It goes beyond things like face and body shapes and into territory of trashy behavioral and hygiene stuff, I won't get into it, but no one is going to call them a cute couple no matter how they hold hands and say lovey dovey things to one another.

And some people just look...cold. They may smile but there's no warmth in it. Your cut-throat types in business and politics that you suspect have never felt a real emotion towards another human being in their lives. Who would call them part of a "cute" couple? No one.

I don't think that both partners must be gorgeous, but there's definitely some minimum threshold there, somewhere...and displays of feeling, happiness and affection definitely.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:23 AM

1,245 posts, read 822,416 times
A couple who appear to be close and happy, focused on each other even in public, but wholesome and innocent.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,718,408 times
I don't really look at couples like that. But I will say there are couples I respect more than others, meaning they are tolerable to be around and don't have to mention each other every two seconds in conversation.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:33 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
My daughter and her boyfriend are a "cute" couple. Aside from being monstrously good looking, they have a connection that is obvious.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Personally I object to being degraded to "cute". I am. Either a toddler nor a puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships