Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
If it's a man flirting with a woman, compliment a "non-sexual" area of her body - like her hands - "I love your hands, your fingers are so slender, or your nails look so nice...."
I wouldn't start out complimenting her on her hands --->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I have been wondering if my neighbor has been flirting with me (not the neighbor that died, obviously).

He walks around the block every day and when I am out gardening he smiles really big and says "Hi, moongirl!" "How are you?"

Today he complicated my flowers I was watering.

He's cute but damn he looks young. I like it though. He seems sweet. Maybe he is just being friendly and neighborly though. But most neighbors walk by and just wave a little.
The first thing to do when you flirt is to have a big, power-ball winning, confident, smile.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Flirting from across a room: Catch that persons eye, stare at them for a little longer than you would if you weren't any bit interested, and give a big smile.
Flirting once conversation is initiated: Ask LOTS of questions about them. Human nature is that we love to talk about ourselves and we find it charming if someone is interested in us. If it's a man flirting with a woman, compliment a "non-sexual" area of her body - like her hands - "I love your hands, your fingers are so slender, or your nails look so nice...."
If a woman is flirting with a man, compliment him on something work related, "Wow you must've really worked hard to get to where you are" or "That's incredible that you're doing something like that to help others..
.etc"
NEVER make a negative statement about something the other person has said. Example, if they say "I love New York City" don't say "I Hate It - it's so noisy, smelly etc...." (Save your negative opinions for later in the relationship!). Instead, say "What do you love so much about it? What's your favorite thing to do there?"
Flirting is EASY!!! I wish I could teach a class.
The compliments you reserve for men work very well for women, too. With some women, they work a lot better than compliments about superficial appearance. Studies have been done in the past with university women, who say they're depressed, because their male colleagues who want to socialize with and date them NEVER ask them what their field of study is, what their educational or life goals are, or any substantive questions at all, that would indicate the men would like to get to know the women as people.

Women don't want to hear that their nails look nice. If that's actually worked for you, DJKB, I guess you and I move in very different circles. I thought your post started out well, actually, but I had to comment on the main part, to provide a different perspective for some of the struggling guys who look to C-D for guidance.

Just another 2 cents tossed into the ring.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:18 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I wouldn't start out complimenting her on her hands --->
If a strange man told me that my fingers were slender out of the blue, I might think he was a serial killer.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If a strange man told me that my fingers were slender out of the blue, I might think he was a serial killer.
Perhaps a slender finger trophy.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:17 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Perhaps a slender finger trophy.
That's exactly what I thought! There's an unspoken "and I'd like to wear them as a necklace" in that sentence.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I thought! There's an unspoken "and I'd like to wear them as a necklace" in that sentence.
Yes, that and the "you are so healthy..." really tip it into **shudder** territory.

Mod cut.
In my experience, you signal interest by smiling and making eye contact. Give them attention. If you're in a situation where you can interact, you respond positively to what they say.

Once you establish a rapport, you can pull out the professional flirty banter.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-08-2020 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Flirting? You either have it or you don’t. Using a formula is creepy.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Flirting? You either have it or you don’t. Using a formula is creepy.
Oh...I don't know. I mean, it's not exactly like following a recipe to bake a cake, but I DO think it's something that people can practice on, and hone their skills over.

Some people are naturals, and some people have had to learn over time, what 'works' and what doesn't.

To me, it seems like the main thing to figure out is if the other person is receptive. Can you even get your foot in the door? And I find that there's a fine line between being friendly and open, and being flirty. Or maybe it's better to say the line is blurry and blends.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:46 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Okay - maybe a bad example . But who doesn't like to get a compliment? Maybe on your smile/shoes/purse/earings...IDK! Not your boobs or legs! And definitely NOT as a conversation opener!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships