Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 03:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

I am truly wondering what the line of thinking is that makes people seek this out. I mean, I see it often enough, there's even a TV show dedicated to long-distance romance and most of them sought it out, so people really do look for it. To be clear, I'm talking about people who deliberately go after someone on a dating app who lives very far away. Sometimes even in another country. I know, I know, people just go after whoever suits their fancy, but how do they reconcile the fact that they are so far away and can't do anything but communicate through electronic devices? How do you ever think about long-term or building a life together if there is the challenge of distance? I specifically mentioned people over 40 with kids, because in this case, there are probably even more things, uh, anchoring you to where you are. Are they just not thinking at all and going with whatever feelings have overcome them? I'm mostly asking because my sister got a bee in her bonnet and set up an online dating profile for me (her idea, not mine) and she says she keeps getting guys who live far away. I'm not here to ask for advice on what to do with them, I already know what to do. I'm just wondering what they are thinking. I like to understand where people are coming from and what is going on in their noggin's. The only thing I can think of is that they WANT to participate in some degree of fantasy. Because that's what I think LDR's amount to and I know some people actually want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 03:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

... how do they reconcile the fact that they are so far away and can't do anything but communicate through electronic devices?
I think this ^^^ is enough for them and makes them feel like they're at least getting the benefit of "talking to" someone.

Having kids means they're pretty busy and, unfortunately, it's not that hard to message someone even with kids in the room.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think this ^^^ is enough for them and makes them feel like they're at least getting the benefit of "talking to" someone.

Having kids means they're pretty busy and, unfortunately, it's not that hard to message someone even with kids in the room.

OMG yes! You are so right! I think that's it. It's like, SOMETHING is better than nothing.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Over 40 with kids could easily mean the kids are adults and out of the house or about to be launched and out of the house.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Maybe some are trying to hide their past?
People who look for a mail bride often aren't very transparent about themselves. Obviously they had major problems dating local girls and decided to look far away? Hide their finances, they appearance, character traits, past relationships, a wife and kids???
Just guessing...

Old 07-02-2020, 05:04 AM

10 posts, read 5,118 times
Man/woman over 40 has money and they know that for it would be hard to find someone in USA for example. They use these apps to find younger people who want visa to USA and that is it.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that they WANT to participate in some degree of fantasy.
Because that's what I think LDR's amount to and I know some people actually want that.
Close enough.

Even when the couple have a functioning healthy relationship BEFORE distance is added...

Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Over 40 with kids could easily mean the kids are adults and out of the house or about to be launched and out of the house.

Yeah and....? Can you elaborate further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe some are trying to hide their past?
People who look for a mail bride often aren't very transparent about themselves. Obviously they had major problems dating local girls and decided to look far away? Hide their finances, they appearance, character traits, past relationships, a wife and kids???
Just guessing...
Oh yeah, totally. Definitely the case with mail order brides, but what about when it's still in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slenderman585 View Post
Man/woman over 40 has money and they know that for it would be hard to find someone in USA for example. They use these apps to find younger people who want visa to USA and that is it.

What about when they are both in the USA and they are not younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Close enough.

Even when the couple have a functioning healthy relationship BEFORE distance is added...

I'm not sure what you mean here....
Are you saying that you think functioning healthy relationships that don't have distance problems still want to participate in fantasy?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:48 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
I am truly wondering what the line of thinking is that makes people seek this out. I mean, I see it often enough, there's even a TV show dedicated to long-distance romance and most of them sought it out, so people really do look for it. To be clear, I'm talking about people who deliberately go after someone on a dating app who lives very far away. Sometimes even in another country. I know, I know, people just go after whoever suits their fancy, but how do they reconcile the fact that they are so far away and can't do anything but communicate through electronic devices? How do you ever think about long-term or building a life together if there is the challenge of distance? I specifically mentioned people over 40 with kids, because in this case, there are probably even more things, uh, anchoring you to where you are. Are they just not thinking at all and going with whatever feelings have overcome them? I'm mostly asking because my sister got a bee in her bonnet and set up an online dating profile for me (her idea, not mine) and she says she keeps getting guys who live far away. I'm not here to ask for advice on what to do with them, I already know what to do. I'm just wondering what they are thinking. I like to understand where people are coming from and what is going on in their noggin's. The only thing I can think of is that they WANT to participate in some degree of fantasy. Because that's what I think LDR's amount to and I know some people actually want that.

What is "normal"? There are lots of people in open relationships, lots of people into BDSM, there are people claiming to be members of genders I have never heard about. There are also Amish people and fundamentalist religious folks who even in this day and time never engage in "self-abuse" and manage to save sex for marriage. Moreover I suspect that people on average are actually weirder than we realize because a lot of people don't wear their weirdness as badge of honor. If you are into BDSM and your sister is married to a Baptist minister, is that what you talk about at Thanksgiving?

Sexuality is weird and lots of people feel lost. I think a lot of dating is a coordination problem, finding people who are looking for what you are looking for. When you have communication tools that made it dramatically cheaper to reach out and contact people from further away. You have to expect that a lot of those tools will be used for sex and dating.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Yeah and....? Can you elaborate further?
Mid-40s with your children launched in your peak earnings years, it’s no big deal to hop on an airplane.

My father at age 45 lived near Boston and had a Florida girlfriend. He had a condo on the beach and would fly down for long weekends. He was high income. 30 days in advance, Florida flights are cheap.

I’m near Boston. My fiancée lived in Nashville when we first met. Southwest, JetBlue, and Delta all have nonstop flights and you could find $49 fares on Tuesday to Thursday flights or I cashed in frequent flyer points. I had a girlfriend who lived in Florida for quite a while. We’d fly back and forth and often do travel vacations together. One in North Jersey. A couple in Manhattan. Those I knew from my Vermont ski place. It’s pretty painless to drive or hop on a flight to LGA or Newark if we weren’t meeting up in Vermont. What’s the big deal? Travel is cheap if you’re higher income. I telecommute and do a ton of business travel. I’ve never let distance be an impediment when I met someone I was interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships