Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:57 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,581,412 times

Advertisements

It depends, how much of an issue is the worst case scenario? (that either or both of you have to leave)

Is this a "job" or a "career"?
How easily could you replace it with new income if things turn sideways?

Edit;
You neither be the first nor the last to pursue a relation at work or with a superior, but if the world around you is any indicator, you'd see that even the intelligent that pursue this wind up in pretty stupid situations if it's a job they care about.

If you two are working in a restaurant or something else where you are recognised for where you are working, then go for it. Million other places that do more or less the same thing.
If you are working as a lawyer, engineer etc where your name is your personal brand within the industry and both competences and positions are unique (regardless of what company you happen to be at for the moment), don't. This is because like most companies, the most powerful asset you have is the accomplishments you attach to your name, and screwing your boss is going to tarnish what ever else is on there.

Last edited by SwedishViking; 07-12-2020 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,581,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: you should worry about gossip. Gossip ruins everything.
True.

The main issue with gossip is that it never remains gossip when a consequence is possible.
It's not that people are talking crap behind you, it's that it reaches people above you in the organisation and impacts either directly by firing the boss who is part of the relationship, or indirectly by negative treatment in assignments, being looked over for promotions, tougher starting position when re-negotiating salaries etc.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:18 PM

12,757 posts, read 14,946,586 times
Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The best possible outcome would be: one of you would get reassigned so the Boss-subordinate role no longer exists. But I could definitely see the supervisor getting canned (Or demoted) instead, for their absolute lack of common sense.

It’s just a bad idea all around...

Yep & to actually be fired, my fiance' thinks there's even more to it than just that. Of course, fiance's brother lies all the time so can't find out the truth out of him.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-14-2020 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:13 PM

142 posts, read 71,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's a great idea if you're a short-sighted idiot who can't imagine all the possible consequences--both in your personal life and your career. Not to mention your boss if you're caught.

Glad I could help.
Wow. Harsh! I met my now husband at work.... Why be so mean??

Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Me and my husband met at work. He was the supervisor! Hahaha the op title of this thread made me laugh when I saw the word supervisor. Anyway, I truly do not understand why people are so harsh and critical about relationships in the workplace.
We did it and it worked fine! We have been married almost 3 years. We both don't work there anymore. He now works as a supervisor with a major airline and I am a stay at home mom.
Please try to be less judgemental and critical- those of you in here saying people are idiots- that's very mean and obviously not true since there have been many successful relationships and they met at work.

Obviously it depends on the type of person; if you are immature and can't remain professional, then it isn't for you....

Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There are lots of rules about dating someone at work.
Not really

Old 07-13-2020, 10:48 PM

102,176 posts, read 107,735,907 times
[quote=Forever Blue;58636473]Who are you calling silly? Like I'm supposed to know that. [/quote;] Yes, because I assume people read the 4 pages of the thread before posting. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue;
Coincidentally, when you Google Zentropa, it has a Wikipedia page that states it was a film that actually says & I quote:

" In November 2017, in the wake of the Me Too movement, nine women – all former employees at Zentropa – spoke of an "ingrained" culture of abuse at the studio. Several of the those interviewed said that their treatment had prompted them to stop working in the film industry altogether.[9][10] Jensen, the company's co-founder and former CEO, was specifically accused of sexual misconduct and sidelined from operations. An internal memo stated that he would no longer exercise "influence on the daily leadership of the company [and] will not partake in any management meetings."

From this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentropa

So this is pretty much what I was talking about my finace's loser brother going w/ his subordinate, so he committed sexual misconduct. So now you see why I naturally assumed you were talking about that bit of pop culture when I was posting before. It's just ironic that the poster you're talking about happesns to have th username Zentropa of all usernames. Anyway, no hard feelings!
Wow, odd coincidence!

I'd never heard the word, "Zentropa", until joining C-D.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 AM

1,237 posts, read 819,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
Me and my husband met at work. He was the supervisor! Hahaha the op title of this thread made me laugh when I saw the word supervisor. Anyway, I truly do not understand why people are so harsh and critical about relationships in the workplace.
We did it and it worked fine! We have been married almost 3 years. We both don't work there anymore. He now works as a supervisor with a major airline and I am a stay at home mom.
Please try to be less judgemental and critical- those of you in here saying people are idiots- that's very mean and obviously not true since there have been many successful relationships and they met at work.

Obviously it depends on the type of person; if you are immature and can't remain professional, then it isn't for you....
Meeting someone at work isn't the same as dating your direct supervisor. If there had been layoffs, do you think your now-husband would have made a professional and objective assessment of whether you should keep your job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
Not really
Of course every workplace is different, but everywhere I've ever worked (large corporations) has had a written policy regarding workplace romantic relationships. I would say it's pretty common for supervisors to be forbidden from dating their direct reports (or lower-level employees within their reporting hierarchy). There's just too much potential for conflict of interest and liability.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,566,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Of course every workplace is different, but everywhere I've ever worked (large corporations) has had a written policy regarding workplace romantic relationships. I would say it's pretty common for supervisors to be forbidden from dating their direct reports (or lower-level employees within their reporting hierarchy). There's just too much potential for conflict of interest and liability.

Ita....but some women can be super aggressive. I've seen it at my own work AND at my fiance's. It's an unexpected plus now that he works from home most days cause of covid.....

Old 07-14-2020, 11:59 AM

2,554 posts, read 2,674,870 times
If you want to date a coworker, especially if someone is in your department or if it's your supervisor, before actually dating them, do two things:

1. ask a trusted union and/or human resources person
2. ask a respective boss if applicable
3. Read your contract to see what is states.

You have to judge who to ask.
Expect the answer to simply be "no"
Just by simply having to ask could be a risk for your job.
Be prepared for one of you to be willing to quit your job to date so that you and the other person won't have a bad mark on your record.

There is a right way to do this which is the above, but you may not like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships