Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you respond to a guy that brings up being against woke cancel culture in online dating?
I would have that in common and be interested in him. 26 48.15%
Wouldn't really care all that much either way. 4 7.41%
I would NOT be interested. He needs to check his privilege and not mansplain! 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 09:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

How about this:

"If you still watch the Office as you long for the days when people like Michael Scott didn't get fired for saying dumb things, and you like to imagine what California must have been like in the 70s, hit me up with a wink or smile."

Not at all political or polarizing. Only hints at NOSTALGIA for eras perceived as being more free. That's probably it, I would probably be compatible with a woman moved by nostalgia, and NOT wanting to engineer society for the future.
If you want to trigger nostalgia, I would refer to times that weren't universal examples of how NOT to do it.

I've seen every episode of The Office, some multiple times,and Michael Scott is a lovable idiot who should have been fired multiple times. Not sure that's the best example of what you're trying to say.

As for California in the 70s, that's the kind of reference that works ONLY if you ignore the many negatives that existed then.

I get what you're trying to do. You just aren't there yet. This feels like an effort into which you'll put a ton of work but won't pay off the way you want. You will just have to keep trying and hope for the best like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 09:06 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Anybody who draws a political line in the sand of any kind on a dating website should be avoided.

Because if you are a normal, sane person, your politics should be about 1% of who you are.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Because if you are a normal, sane person, your politics should be about 1% of who you are.
I don't know that that's fair--you don't have to be an extremist, but politics affect people's lives in different ways. Look at our culture now--if you're a small business owner, or an immigrant, or a teacher, or transgender, or a farmer, and on and on--things that are happening in the political realm are really important to how you live your life and conduct your business. It's not abnormal or insane to care about politics.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I also wonder how attractive it is to mock people who don't believe as you (talking disparagingly about being "Woke" and using the "cancel culture" meme) you also remove probably every non-white woman from your dating pool.

Then there is the idea you put out there that your own friends are "deranged." Unkind.

Mocking is childish and mean.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know that that's fair--you don't have to be an extremist, but politics affect people's lives in different ways. Look at our culture now--if you're a small business owner, or an immigrant, or a teacher, or transgender, or a farmer, and on and on--things that are happening in the political realm are really important to how you live your life and conduct your business. It's not abnormal or insane to care about politics.
What OP is talking about is not politics.

It's about social media-driven culture wars. You know, the thing that is tearing apart friendships, families and the public trust.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Mocking is childish and mean.
I agree. You can be clever without attacking others. The tone is what would turn me off and detracts from what is actually written.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:42 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
HARD pass.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:55 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
I would shake my head in bewilderment and mutter "nope".

Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
I went back up and checked the choices on your poll.

Here's the thing: the very wording that you chose for the third option is off-putting. You should have stopped while you were ahead before adding the final zinger, i.e., "...check your privilege and not man-splain." It was unnecessary and very telling. I can see why you might be frustrated with online dating due to current events and in your locale, but the language that you're choosing to use is in itself quite polarizing even if you don't intend to come across that way.

Put it this way (and once again, I only speak for myself): if you wrote something along the lines of what Sassy suggested, I'd be interested in going out at least once with a person such as yourself and likely have a very good time and some interesting conversations with you. Write something that you originally thought to write or take the nostalgia route, and I'd pass.

Just as most people had "two 'fifties and a 'seventies" and didn't align with the popular modern interpretation of the 1960s (in particular, the mid-to-late 'sixties), most of us are neither ardent MAGA supporters nor part of the "woke/cancel culture."

In order to find the type of woman you seek, you need to fish using the correct bait to lure her into that first meeting.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 07-15-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 10:01 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Anybody who draws a political line in the sand of any kind on a dating website should be avoided.

Right??? I refuse to date liberals for the past years because I don't want to hear their complaining all day. Seems like most democrats life's have been ruined. I am not political at all but I refuse to listen to excessive president shaming. I have so many friends who are obsessed with turning every little thing that goes wrong in their life political. Enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships