Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Keep in mind you are not the only woman online and may miss out
Yes, unfortunately, I wish I had better comments to tell you, but I agree w/ the above. I really feel for the people out there who aren't already married or in long-term (LT) relationships & still trying to find their special someone out there for a LT relationship.

It's too scary out there to be dating at all because no one knows who each person's come into contact w/, how lax or strict they are in their lifestyle w/ social distancing, etc. & all those worries. Each time someone meets a new person &/or goes out on a date if they even do that, they have to worry about those same set of worries I said above.

I just don't know what single people out there can do these days because it looks like COVID's around to stay for who knows how long & who knows when there will be an effective vacine or cure.

OP, really think about this. Let's say you do meet, then what? You're each in odifferent states, right? So could you really have a LT, committed relationship from that? I personally couldn't & wouldn't for long (no more than a few mos for me personally). Now people more than ever have to be serious about their future relationships goals. Do they want to get married, is someone willing to move for the other person, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Keep in mind you are not the only woman online and may miss out
Miss out on what? A guy who doesn't understand what "Immunosuppressed" means and doesn't care? It's a bit of a hurdle but just like there are other women online, there are plenty of men!

OP - don't rush...and don't get too attached either.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:01 AM

415 posts, read 371,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, unfortunately, I wish I had better comments to tell you, but I agree w/ the above. I really feel for the people out there who aren't already married or in long-term (LT) relationships & still trying to find their special someone out there for a LT relationship.

It's too scary out there to be dating at all because no one knows who each person's come into contact w/, how lax or strict they are in their lifestyle w/ social distancing, etc. & all those worries. Each time someone meets a new person &/or goes out on a date if they even do that, they have to worry about those same set of worries I said above.

I just don't know what single people out there can do these days because it looks like COVID's around to stay for who knows how long & who knows when there will be an effective vacine or cure.

OP, really think about this. Let's say you do meet, then what? You're each in odifferent states, right? So could you really have a LT, committed relationship from that? I personally couldn't & wouldn't for long (no more than a few mos for me personally). Now people more than ever have to be serious about their future relationships goals. Do they want to get married, is someone willing to move for the other person, etc.
No, we are in the same city. We live maybe 30 minutes from each other.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:09 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
No, we are in the same city. We live maybe 30 minutes from each other.
I see. Well, is this really, really someone who you think you could date LT? Does he want the same things out of life (marriage, kids, etc.) if that's what you BOTH want?

Is he as careful & take COVID as seriously as you do? Nowadays, EACH person in the relationship has to be on the SAME page w/ this too. The relationship would NEVER work if you're as strict & careful as possible, but he's still living it up, going to get-togethers, parties, eating out often, thinks COVID's a hoax, doesn't care about masks, or doesn't wash hands much, etc.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:10 AM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have been chatting with a guy online for a few weeks, and I am really enjoying getting to know him. We have done Netflix parties together, video chats, and we text and talk on the phone every day. I am however immune compromised, and I am not ready to meet up yet.

Has anyone else experienced this and not wanting to meet up during this time? I live in Texas and our numbers are terrible right now. He says he is okay waiting but I know he won't wait forever. Curious if anyone else has had a similar situation and how you guys are handling it.
Does he have a job or family commitments which require him to have contact with other people?

If not and things continue to go well, you could ask him to self-isolate for a week before meeting up with you. Obviously this means trusting him with your health, so it's up to you to decide how well you have to get to know him from a distance before you're ready to do that.

Similarly, it's a good practice for safety to have a first meeting in a public place. But in this situation, you might feel safer meeting one-on-one at home. Again, it's a matter of trust.

I also think it's important to let him know that you like him and are only talking with him (assuming this is true). I'm not saying that you should make things 'official' in any way with a man you haven't met, but for me personally it would make it a lot easier to wait to meet a girl if I knew that I wasn't wasting my time while she also considered other guys.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:36 AM

415 posts, read 371,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Does he have a job or family commitments which require him to have contact with other people?

If not and things continue to go well, you could ask him to self-isolate for a week before meeting up with you. Obviously this means trusting him with your health, so it's up to you to decide how well you have to get to know him from a distance before you're ready to do that.

Similarly, it's a good practice for safety to have a first meeting in a public place. But in this situation, you might feel safer meeting one-on-one at home. Again, it's a matter of trust.

I also think it's important to let him know that you like him and are only talking with him (assuming this is true). I'm not saying that you should make things 'official' in any way with a man you haven't met, but for me personally it would make it a lot easier to wait to meet a girl if I knew that I wasn't wasting my time while she also considered other guys.
Unfortunately he is having contact with other people. He doesn't go to parties or anything as he is a homebody like myself, but he has a kid and still has to go to work, so he is around people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships