Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2020, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

I wanted to give online dating a try hence I installed one, Tinder. I happen to match with this guy from Auckland, NZ who happens to be a Chinese guy living abroad. We hit it off pretty well, he was really kind, and we had a lot in common (because he also likes anime and food). We talked about our favorite ones and recommended each other of the good ones. I’m not fond of stereotypes in dating because I know fully well that one thing doesn’t mean true to the other (referring to dating guys). Well, uhmm he was quite fast and direct. He truly showed his intention (courting me) and that’s within a week.... I mean do Chinese guys tend to act that fast?? Adding to that, he was really kind (I can attest to that) and he never forgets to message me after his work. Actually, we became official just the day before yesterday, he asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes. So, I just wanna ask if Chinese guys are just fast and straightforward when it comes to relationship, like is it a normal dating norm?? Just need some advice on this

Old 08-08-2020, 11:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
In some ways, yes. In China, men outnumber women by a VAST majority, all thanks to their one-child policy law that was in affect for many years. It's actually a crazy ratio. Therefore, for every woman, there is a lot of "competition" with many men available. So, a lot of Chinese men move rather quickly when they become interested in a woman in hopes of being the "one" chosen for said particular woman. And when I say Chinese men, I mean someone raised in China. Not a stereotype for anyone who is Chinese in general lol. It's just the way the dating culture has become. At least, that's what I know. If someone from China wants to correct, please feel free. I don't want to give out false information, but this is what I know at least.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reilian View Post
Just need some advice on this
If you're online you are NOT dating.
Limit your chats to those who can meet you for a coffee. Today.

Then start meeting people nearby.
Maybe they have a sibling or cousin or friend you'll like better.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you're online you are NOT dating.
Limit your chats to those who can meet you for a coffee. Today.

Then start meeting people nearby.
Maybe they have a sibling or cousin or friend you'll like better.
Pretty good advice, OP. You're not dating anyone; you have a pen-pal. That's about it.

Are you in NZ? North America? Oz? Where are you?

Unless you're in the same country as the guy you want to date, or on the same island (NZ has two main ones), I don't see much point.

IDK what Chinese guys are like, if you mean Chinese from China, the PRC. But it makes sense, that if there's a scarcity of women in their country, they wouldn't want to waste time. Though one could argue, that by getting a commitment from someone outside their country of residence, they're doing exactly that--wasting time.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
I don't understand how you can "be official" with someone you have never met. If your "relationship" is 100% online, it's a "relationship" not a relationship.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Not sure about Chinese, but it's typical for scammers.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Race-based threads are not permitted. They quickly devolve into sweeping generalizations and/or bashing and/or personal attacks. This thread has been nipped in the bud; it's now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.