Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

I love to cook and a foodie of sorts...

I wouldn't mind dating someone who was picky or had a dietary restrictions. Just as long as they don't expect me to follow suit and allowed (encouraged even better) me to continue to explore my love for different cuisines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 11:23 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I have a friend with a bf that's gluten free. It's kind of a pain in the tush to go out with him. Although restaurants do offer more choices now.

It's an interesting question. It might also depend on when a person finds out about the dietary needs. Been on a few dates and really like the person, maybe it wouldn't be a deal breaker. First date, I could see a person finding out someone has special diet needs and thinking it was something they didn't want to deal with. Some people aren't good with compromise, and with special diet needs that could come up.

And maybe it wasn't the diet, maybe it was that there is a health issue requiring a special diet. Maybe he was concerned it could mean you would have trouble later on and not be able to work, or that it was genetic and could be passed to any children if the relationship progressed that far.

At least it was right away and no big loss of time. Maybe it was an excuse because there was something else about you he didn't like......your ears or something.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:33 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Would a restrictive diet of someone you were dating be a deal breaker for you? I guess I just don't get what the big deal is.
Generally if that would mean that we never could eat in the same restaurant, or cooking would involve making two completely different dishes - then yes. It would be most likely a deal breaker for me.
But just gluten and dairy free diet doesn't scare me. There are plenty of dishes that could be enjoyed by both of us... However, cooking meals at home is quite challenging (cross contamination).
Just that you know what is involved, read this:
https://www.schaer.com/en-us/a/cope-celiac-disease

Also keep in mind that The Celiac Disease Foundation found that 70% of those with celiac disease reported a lack of energy affecting their sex life. Gastrointestinal symptoms and pain also affected their satisfaction with their sex life.
So, you would not only deal with diet and food restrictions.

For example, you can't kiss someone wearing gluten-containing lipstick without risking getting sick if you're celiac, and it's wise (imperative, in fact) to ask a gluten-eating (or beer-drinking), partner, to brush his or her teeth before kissing you.
https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/glu...ng-and-beyond/

Last edited by elnina; 08-10-2020 at 12:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
He knows about my health issues and that I was totally fine with him eating whatever. He said he just found it a big deal as he likes going out with his gf and trying foods together and I wouldn't be able to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I get why he was hesitant.

I mean, if you think about it, when you give someone a choice beforehand, date someone with some restrictions or date someone with no restrictions, lots of people would opt out. He has nothing invested in you, and figures he just doesn't want to deal with worrying about taking your limits into consideration if he doesn't HAVE to.

That doesn't make him a terrible person. If you were already in love, and you developed a food intolerance or a medically related food restriction, he would most likely support you in that.

Dating is the process of figuring out who has the most positives and the fewest negatives that you can tolerate the best. Obviously this was something he felt strongly about. We aren't required to accept everyone 100%.
I agree. Early on in the dating process a lot of dating criteria are really arbitrary. Think about how many women won't date men less than 6ft tall or the guys who refuse to date women who aren't buxom enough.

The initial filters that people apply to the dating process are really haphazard.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Is this this same guy with the 6 year old kid and the difficult ex wife that lives in your town and you haven't met yet?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...meone-kid.html

Good thing you found out now and didn't risk your health by meeting him in the pandemic.

And no, I have never run into anyone who had a problem with different food restrictions. Sounds like this guy was just making an excuse. To say it's a "deal breaker" when he hadn't even met you yet?? Say goodbye to this guy.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
What would turn me off would be some hard core [insert whatever food fad] who would either insist on my adopting their lifestyle, or criticize every bite I took. But the OP’s situation wouldn’t bother me at all.
+1

Gluten and lactose intolerance are no big deal. I have problems with picky eaters. That’s expected with a 9 year old but not an adult. I don’t think I could coexist with vegan at all.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 AM

410 posts, read 343,453 times
Restrictive diets because of health issues - okay. Diets that are selected because of personal choice - depends. If the person insisted that I adopt their lifestyle, then absolutely not. You eat what you want & I eat what I want -- we are good to go, at least from a food perspective.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
From what you posted - it sounds like the guy is really into the shared experience of new foods...don’t know if I’d say that’s good or bad, but sounds like it’s just “him”.

I imagine he wants to go to a restaurant, order the sampler plate, and be able to say “OMG, you have to try this!” Etc...If that’s what he’s into, you’re probably NOT the one he’d be doing that with.

Do i think it’s arbitrary and maybe a bit silly? Yea, but that’s not my call.

As a guy who enjoys eating out, and has a wife who isn’t very interested in new or different foods, it CAN be a pain...it’s not your situation where it’s medically related, she just doesn’t like spice, or non-American foods typically (minus Italian). Going out for Thai, Sushi, Indian is kind of a non-starter for her and as a result i have to do those things with other friends, while traveling for work, or on my own (least until my kids develop a taste for sushi). The other struggle we have is I have to tone down her dinner. I tend to be the cook for the family, and normally have to go light on the spices on whatever food wifey gets, vs what i serve myself...or even the kids.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:30 AM

415 posts, read 371,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Generally if that would mean that we never could eat in the same restaurant, or cooking would involve making two completely different dishes - then yes. It would be most likely a deal breaker for me.
But just gluten and dairy free diet doesn't scare me. There are plenty of dishes that could be enjoyed by both of us... However, cooking meals at home is quite challenging (cross contamination).
Just that you know what is involved, read this:
https://www.schaer.com/en-us/a/cope-celiac-disease

Also keep in mind that The Celiac Disease Foundation found that 70% of those with celiac disease reported a lack of energy affecting their sex life. Gastrointestinal symptoms and pain also affected their satisfaction with their sex life.
So, you would not only deal with diet and food restrictions.

For example, you can't kiss someone wearing gluten-containing lipstick without risking getting sick if you're celiac, and it's wise (imperative, in fact) to ask a gluten-eating (or beer-drinking), partner, to brush his or her teeth before kissing you.
https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/glu...ng-and-beyond/
Just as a heads up, I don't have celiac disease. The gluten and dairy avoidance is to reduce inflammation, not because I have celiac disease or that I am lactose intolerant.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM

415 posts, read 371,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Is this this same guy with the 6 year old kid and the difficult ex wife that lives in your town and you haven't met yet?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...meone-kid.html

Good thing you found out now and didn't risk your health by meeting him in the pandemic.

And no, I have never run into anyone who had a problem with different food restrictions. Sounds like this guy was just making an excuse. To say it's a "deal breaker" when he hadn't even met you yet?? Say goodbye to this guy.
Nope, different guy. I am casting a wide net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships