Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 PM

415 posts, read 370,741 times

Advertisements

I have an auto immune condition which requires me to have a pretty restrictive diet. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could sit around all day eating as much pizza as I please, but I just can't. Anyway, I was talking to a guy and as soon as I said I couldn't eat gluten or dairy he said it was a deal breaker. I actually thought at first he was kidding as he was being playful about it, but he was dead serious.

I guess each to their own, but I just found it a little strange because he could still eat whatever he wanted. He said he wouldn't be able to experience foods with me which was a big deal as he loves cheese.

Would a restrictive diet of someone you were dating be a deal breaker for you? I guess I just don't get what the big deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 05:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Wow, that guy sounds like a joke and a sad excuse for a potential suitor for you. Good riddance to him.

For me, no. And I don't think for most guys either. But for me personally, it would just be something that makes you unique. Food is food. I'll order what I want off the menu and you should be able to do so as well, whether you have to or not. If I liked you and wanted to be with you, I literally couldn't care less if we couldn't share food or something. It's such a non issue to me.

This boggles my mind that it was a deal breaker for him. But don't sweat it. I'm sure you're fantastic and the majority of guys won't think twice about it. I know I wouldn't.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It's pretty common these days for people to have diets that are restricted in some way. the wheat/gluten issue is common, sugar/excess carbs/refined carbs is another. Dairy, too. I don't see a big deal with it. As long as you can still go to some restaurants and find an item or two on the menu that are ok for you, you can enjoy dining out with someone. I don't see why it would be a problem that you couldn't share their same, exact food, but apparently for that one guy, it was a deal-breaker.

Don't panic and assume a lot of people are this way, though. Focus instead on finding people who are sympathetic to your situation, and willing to be supportive.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Wow, that guy sounds like a joke and a sad excuse for a potential suitor for you. Good riddance to him.

For me, no. And I don't think for most guys either. But for me personally, it would just be something that makes you unique. Food is food. I'll order what I want off the menu and you should be able to do so as well, whether you have to or not. If I liked you and wanted to be with you, I literally couldn't care less if we couldn't share food or something. It's such a non issue to me.

This boggles my mind that it was a deal breaker for him. But don't sweat it. I'm sure you're fantastic and the majority of guys won't think twice about it. I know I wouldn't.
Thank you! I totally agreed but wondered if this was a thing that people who can eat anything feel. I found it totally bizarre myself.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:45 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
I wonder if he assumed you would be trying to make him follow your diet?

I understand for you its a health issue, but there are a lot of people who follow restrictive diets as more a lifestyle choice; vegan, raw, paleo, etc., and require a partner who is into the same diet.

Maybe he didnt understand for you its a medical issue and not a lifestyle/philosophy?

Old 08-09-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I wonder if he assumed you would be trying to make him follow your diet?

I understand for you its a health issue, but there are a lot of people who follow restrictive diets as more a lifestyle choice; vegan, raw, paleo, etc., and require a partner who is into the same diet.

Maybe he didnt understand for you its a medical issue and not a lifestyle/philosophy?
He knows about my health issues and that I was totally fine with him eating whatever. He said he just found it a big deal as he likes going out with his gf and trying foods together and I wouldn't be able to do that.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:51 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
He knows about my health issues and that I was totally fine with him eating whatever. He said he just found it a big deal as he likes going out with his gf and trying foods together and I wouldn't be able to do that.
He sounds like a douche then. Reminds me of an ex-boyfriend that forced me to stay awake watching movies with him just because he wanted someone else to watch with him, and had no consideration about the fact that I was exhausted and couldnt keep my eyes open. He'd yell at me every time I started to fall asleep.

He is being the deal breaker. Really immature mindset on his part.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I get why he was hesitant.

I mean, if you think about it, when you give someone a choice beforehand, date someone with some restrictions or date someone with no restrictions, lots of people would opt out. He has nothing invested in you, and figures he just doesn't want to deal with worrying about taking your limits into consideration if he doesn't HAVE to.

That doesn't make him a terrible person. If you were already in love, and you developed a food intolerance or a medically related food restriction, he would most likely support you in that.

Dating is the process of figuring out who has the most positives and the fewest negatives that you can tolerate the best. Obviously this was something he felt strongly about. We aren't required to accept everyone 100%.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 08-09-2020 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 07:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
I have an auto immune condition which requires me to have a pretty restrictive diet. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could sit around all day eating as much pizza as I please, but I just can't. Anyway, I was talking to a guy and as soon as I said I couldn't eat gluten or dairy he said it was a deal breaker. I actually thought at first he was kidding as he was being playful about it, but he was dead serious.

I guess each to their own, but I just found it a little strange because he could still eat whatever he wanted. He said he wouldn't be able to experience foods with me which was a big deal as he loves cheese.

Would a restrictive diet of someone you were dating be a deal breaker for you? I guess I just don't get what the big deal is.
Yeah, I’m kind of a foodie so someone with a restrictive diet would not work with me. I want us to try different food together, so it is better to not engage with someone who has restrictive diet for me.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
What would turn me off would be some hard core [insert whatever food fad] who would either insist on my adopting their lifestyle, or criticize every bite I took. But the OP’s situation wouldn’t bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships