Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You're about the third person on this board to whom I've offered sincere advice from the heart, and like them you treat it like ****?!?

Good luck.
If it keeps happening it must be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
If it keeps happening it must be you.
Not necessarily. I think I've just fallen into this Alice in Wonderland-type of place where everything and everyone is 180 degrees from what they should be...

Old 05-03-2008, 04:25 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
I
The only person who can fill this void is Jesus Christ.
It is not religion that fills this void but rather having a true personal relationship with our creator.

Go into the Christianity section and watch and read some of the testimonies from people like you and me. I hope the best in your search for happiness and truth.

The OP has already stated that she is not religious, but rather spiritual.
Please post this kind of stuff in the religion forum. People can go there to discuss religious issues.

Believing in your personal relationship with Jesus may fill the void in YOUR life, but others may need to foster a special relationship with THEMSELVES to achieve this goal.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
And thank YOU, Fred, for supporting their delusion.
I will always support Delusion, Phil, since it has supported me so well for so long.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM

199 posts, read 902,675 times
More people than we realize are going through this. A lot of people, especially young people, are simply lost. They don't know why they are on this earth or what they should do in this life. This is why we see the mass killing sprees with people shooting up public schools, malls and workplaces.

Of course there is more to life than getting good grades, making money, getting married and raising kids. It is not about what we do, but who we do it for.

I would encourage you to read The Purpose Driven Life. I know of no better roadmap that explains what we are truly on this earth for.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdotjaydot View Post
Im in college, I have a great boyfriend, I have a very high gpa, lots of friends, have 3 jobs, a great family, and my entire future planned out for me.
BUT very often I feel like something is missing. I have never been a rule breaker, or anything like that. My life is ...average. I dont really go to college parties because I'm not interesetd in underage drinking.

I have really high expectations for myself so I never settle for anything less than perfect.

WELL, now I have everything I could ask for...so now what?

What happens when you reach all your goals? I feel like I have nothing to work for now.
What I have recently found myself doing is becoming really nit-picky about stuff that I shouldnt have big problems with.

For example, my boyfriend takes me out to new resturants with exotic foods (even though I never really want to go) and gets me to try new things- always resulting negativly for my taste buds. (lol) But I still get frustrated with stuff like this because I think if I was dating someone else, they would treat me differently.

Basically the only thing I can think of is that I need to change something in my relationship or make goals for my bf and I.
IM NOT interested in breaking up with my bf. We are very much in love and talk about marriage almost daily.

Do you think I'm just being stupid? What could this empyness be?
I really want to take my relationship with my bf to the next level, but I'm too young to be officially engaged. What should I do?

Can anyone knock some sense into me?
Enjoy your good fortune, sweetheart. Your challenges will come. They come to everyone sooner or later. Be grateful for this sweet time.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
You're about the third person on this board to whom I've offered sincere advice from the heart, and like them you treat it like ****?!?

Good luck.
She was damn rude. You offered sincere advice, based on what little information she gave, and she was damn rude.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
Sweetie, we are all created with a void within us.
When you realize who created it and fill it with him you will find a peace that passes
all understanding. There in you will find that you can be content and live your blessed life that he has given you and you have worked so hard for.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, it sounds almost as if your life up to this point has been a well-scripted play: all the players making their entrances on cue, the techies working the lights just perfectly, everyone hitting their mark just right...

Bleh.

Mix it up! Get out of your confining little boxes and LIVE! You said it yourself - "My entire future planned out for me". How sad. and, how unrealistic. Life has a nasty habit of throwing a curveball when we least expect it - obviously you've been spared this, but the longer you go without a major overhaul to your laid-back, planned existence (because that's what you're doing right now - you're existing, not living), the greater will be the shock when it finally DOES hit.

And I'm sorry, but if your BF is content to keep you the way you are now, then he's just as guilty of inaction as you.

You don't want to drop the boyfriend? OK. (BTW - I suspect this is your first real BF - wrong? Right?) Tell him what's going on in your head - and not over some fancy dinner, either. Go for an old-fashioned picnic - basket, ants and all. You'd be surprised how open-air eating can sometimes focus your thoughts.

I initially wanted to suggest taking some time off and joining something like the Peace Corp - maybe if you would receive some "shock treatment" by seeing how the rest of the world lives, it would persuade you to change.

But I think the tell-tale line you mentioned is:

Guess what, dear? You can never, NEVER reach perfection!

Maybe you're just burned out from trying?
I think the OP showed a lot of constraint in her reply to you. You did make alot of insulting assumptions and you did talk down to her. I'm sure you didn't mean to. It may be your style of expressing yourself since you say your advice keeps being rejected. You might try asking more questions instead of assuming you already have the whole picture. Expressing your sympathy and understanding of another persons situation via writing may not be your forte'.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM

216 posts, read 604,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
The OP has already stated that she is not religious, but rather spiritual.
Please post this kind of stuff in the religion forum. People can go there to discuss religious issues.

Believing in your personal relationship with Jesus may fill the void in YOUR life, but others may need to foster a special relationship with THEMSELVES to achieve this goal.
Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is not about being religious. He is alive right now and knocking on the door to come in. Jesus will come in to your heart if you open the door.

I noticed how some people get defensive when people mention about Jesus Christ.
Jesus is the only way to find true peace and fulfillment in your life. Any other way to fill this void is only temporary. He is the only way to fill this emptiness that we all experience in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships