Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 05:08 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,053,022 times

Advertisements

I am usually pretty good, but today I am in my head. My first husband and I split up in 2006. One of our biggest issues was I was ready to be a parent, because I was a parent. He still wanted to party and not have anything to do with me and the family lifestyle.

About every 5 years or so, he shows up in our lives to see my daughter. This week is one of those weeks.... We still have a lot of resentment between us, even after many conversations trying to hash it out and get over it.
Well my daughter went and hung out with him tonight, after he invited her over. He is in a new relationship, with a woman that has a kid. I got nosy and looked at his social media photos. Lots of photos of him doing family activities with his new family. Back when he had us, he didn’t want it. Now he wants to have that with my daughter. Why is he 15 years to late? Why does he still come around? Why do we still have this resentment between us? Why am I still so angry with him? Why does he do **** like not put his truck in his name, instead of mine? And when will I get to a point where I am not pissed off at him for not being what I needed him to be back then?

I am sure the answers aren’t here. But it was good to get my feelings out. I can’t really discuss this with my parents or fiancé.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 06:11 PM

102,293 posts, read 108,372,129 times
How did your name get on his truck?

Old 10-23-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How did your name get on his truck?
I bought it for him as a gift 18 years ago, while we were still married. He has kept it on the road all these years.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:20 PM

11,412 posts, read 24,513,033 times
People show you what they want you to see on social media. It’s probably not quite that way in real life.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
People show you what they want you to see on social media. It’s probably not quite that way in real life.
Possibly but I do know he takes her child to school. I couldn’t get him to do much of anything for my daughter, and him and I were married when she was born.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Is it because he's your daughter's father that you seem to be having some trouble disengaging?

You have been apart since 2006. Thats 14 years. Why the unresolved emotion? Because of the shared child?

Sorry if this is a dumb or obvious question but Im not a parent so I truly dont know.
He isn’t her father. I married him when I was pregnant.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,549,004 times
People grow up a lot in 15 years.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:39 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,685,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
He isn’t her father. I married him when I was pregnant.
This is pretty significant information that was left out of the first post.

He didn't act like your child's father because he isn't.

Did he know you were pregnant with someone else's child when he married you? Was there an agreement between you that was made at the time regarding the child?

He acts more mature now because he's 20 years older. But he's essentially in the same position with his new relationship as he was with you: being with a woman who has a child by another man.

These things are not insignificant. Why did you expect so much from him back then?

Old 10-23-2020, 09:55 PM

417 posts, read 548,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
This is pretty significant information that was left out of the first post.

He didn't act like your child's father because he isn't.

Did he know you were pregnant with someone else's child when he married you? Was there an agreement between you that was made at the time regarding the child?

He acts more mature now because he's 20 years older. But he's essentially in the same position with his new relationship as he was with you: being with a woman who has a child by another man.

These things are not insignificant. Why did you expect so much from him back then?

Agreed. I dated a single dad for a time. I broke things off because I realized I didn't want to raise someone else's kid. I could see that being the reason he didn't take much interest in your kid.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 824,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am usually pretty good, but today I am in my head. My first husband and I split up in 2006. One of our biggest issues was I was ready to be a parent, because I was a parent. He still wanted to party and not have anything to do with me and the family lifestyle.

About every 5 years or so, he shows up in our lives to see my daughter. This week is one of those weeks.... We still have a lot of resentment between us, even after many conversations trying to hash it out and get over it.
Well my daughter went and hung out with him tonight, after he invited her over. He is in a new relationship, with a woman that has a kid. I got nosy and looked at his social media photos. Lots of photos of him doing family activities with his new family. Back when he had us, he didn’t want it. Now he wants to have that with my daughter. Why is he 15 years to late? Why does he still come around? Why do we still have this resentment between us? Why am I still so angry with him? Why does he do **** like not put his truck in his name, instead of mine? And when will I get to a point where I am not pissed off at him for not being what I needed him to be back then?

I am sure the answers aren’t here. But it was good to get my feelings out. I can’t really discuss this with my parents or fiancé.
The issue isn't with anything he is or isn't doing now, the issue is with you.

To me, this shows you are unhappy, dissastisfied with your life in the present. Maybe that is something you could take a look at, and work on.

15 years have passed. First, get that truck out of your name! Is this your way of hanging on to him in some small way? If he gets into a car accident, you will be on the hook for it.

And why exactly do you let him see your daughter once every 5 years?

You need to move on with your life. Stop looking in the rear view mirror. Does your fiance' know you are still (obviously) hung up on your ex husband? You could get therapy if this is really bothering you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships