Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 AM

106 posts, read 77,426 times

Advertisements

Over the past few years, I've asked a bunch of people their thoughts and advice on dating, and it's becoming clear that none of it applies to me.

For instance, I was told that people mingle at bars, so I went to bars every weekend for 14 months and not one person talked to me. Dating apps, same thing. I get the impression that these things tend to work for people because they're attractive. If you go to a bar and someone talks to you, maybe it's simply because you're attractive.

So, if this is true, then why are people so reluctant to admit it? Are they afraid to hurt people's feelings? All this does is get a person's hopes up, which would make the truth even harder to swallow. Any thoughts?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-02-2020 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on similar topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 03:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfellowPerson View Post
Over the past few years, I've asked a bunch of people their thoughts and advice on dating, and it's becoming clear that none of it applies to me.

For instance, I was told that people mingle at bars, so I went to bars every weekend for 14 months and not one person talked to me. Dating apps, same thing. I get the impression that these things tend to work for people because they're attractive. If you go to a bar and someone talks to you, maybe it's simply because you're attractive.

So, if this is true, then why are people so reluctant to admit it? Are they afraid to hurt people's feelings? All this does is get a person's hopes up, which would make the truth even harder to swallow. Any thoughts?
Anyone who thinks to reply to this thread should read your initial thread from May, where we discussed at length your ... unconventional ... approach to dating. That is ... that you NEVER approach.

Yes, of course dating apps are skewed toward attractive people, even though the definition of attractive will vary from person to person. But the fact remains that more men initiate dating-related interactions than women do, and whatever explanation you choose for NOT following that tradition is your own decision.

But decisions have consequences.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:43 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I'm average at best and I start conversations and usually have a good time. If no one is approaching you, then you need to do the approaching.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:20 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
I envision a person sitting alone watching everyone talking and having a good time. Then that person gets up and leaves claiming it wasn’t fun.

It doesn’t matter who it is but the OP has to mix and mingle. Even if it’s the same sex. Start up a convo with everyone.

“Hey, I’ve never been here before. This is a cool place.”

Old 09-26-2019, 04:29 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

If you look around you would notice that not only physically attractive people have friends and relationships. So, obviously being less attractive is compensated by a great character, charisma, intelligence, common sense, being funny, friendly, caring... and having healthy self esteem and other positive qualities.

Also, even physical appearance could be improved, whatever you think you are deprived of.

Perhaps you lack those? There is not too late to improve.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
The truth.

Not everyone is going to be able to sit around and wait to get approached. You are going to have to take initiative to talk to people. You're gonna need thick skin as well. Not everyone is going to be welcoming and some people are going to be rude.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Also, it is my opinion that bars (especially loud ones where you can't even hear yourself think, let alone have a normal conversation with anyone) and online dating apps, are fairly superficial places. Loud nightclubs especially in my opinion would require you to be quite attractive looking by at least some people's standards, for anyone to seek out and try to interact with you, because what the hell else can they go by in a place like that?

Dating apps...well, that's a lot like marketing, trying to "sell" yourself to an audience. Get appealing photos done (seriously have you ever heard of all the tricks they use to photograph food for commercials and menu images?) and write up some clever ad copy to promote the product that is you. Because that's what online dating is set up like. Shopping for a product on Amazon or something. The only thing lacking is reviews lol. "I took off one star, because he had a booger in his left nostril during the entirety of our dinner date. It was gross but he couldn't have known, and I was too shy to say." Wouldn't that just be great...

I often advise guys to figure out what area is their personal strong suit and find a way to use that to self-promote. Like we had a guy here some time ago, some of the regulars might know who I speak of though he's been absent for years. He was a brilliant writer. I mean, just...WOW. And if I were giving dating advice to him, I'd suggest he try to write up a little zine type thing, like short stories or editorial commentary or something, print up a bunch of 'em and leave them in coffee shops, little bookstores, just around. If one day his email address appeared on an issue, by that point he'd have every literate female in town dying for a chance to find out who the guy behind those words was. The fella had a very, very sexy mind. Those of us (Hi!) who love the written word, and who enjoyed reading a well put together dating profile, would have been totally into him because I know he'd have written something clever and delightful. He was not gorgeous, not the sort of man who one would look twice at on the street, but he was OK looking.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:30 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Back in my desperately single days, I tried going to bars to meet guys. It never worked. I think "desperately single" sends out a pheromone or something. lol

Which is not to say I've never been approached while single, in a bar. I have been...but I wasn't "looking for a man". It just happened.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

For instance, I was told that people mingle at bars,
That wasn't good advice, IMO. Especially for you. Where people mingle, who are shy or reticent, or uncomfortable making an "Approach", is in hobby groups, co-ed activities of various sorts (volunteering, playing sports/hiking/biking/boating, classes, various community activities). Sharing an activity with others allows them to get to know you over time and scope you out. Conversations tend to flow naturally over the common interest that's obviously shared. It's in contexts like this, that women might ask you out, or would in some way indicate they're into you.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:14 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
To mingle, you must mingle. Sitting silent in a corner doesn't work.

I suggest joining a few clubs about your interests. Then you have something to talk about with no pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships