Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

how do you guys manage dating costs? I realize that the expectation is for the guy to pick up the full tab of the 1st or 2nd date but how does it go after that? What happens if the woman doesn't contribute even after the 3rd or 4th date? What if the woman is unemployed or has a much lower paying job?

Given that dating represents quite an expensive investment for a guy what criteria do you use to ask only those women who are truly interested in you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

how do you guys manage dating costs?
Only date rich desperate women, and this will never be a problem.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
If I asked a woman out on a date, I expected to pay. While I think it's nice of the woman to offer to split the cost, or pick up part of the date (say, maybe she offers to get the snacks at the movie or something), I would usually refuse.

If a woman asked me out on a date, I expected her to pay. I would usually offer to at least split the cost, or even feign that I expected to get it, but if she didn't put up a fight it would raise my eyebrow.

How I managed dating costs is simple. I never asked someone to do anything I couldn't afford to pay for. Sometimes half the fun was finding really inexpensive things to do.

ps. I find myself speaking in the past tense here, because I'm now a one-woman man in a serious relationship that I fully expect to end in marriage, and I now pretty much pay for everything on a date and am happy to do so.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:22 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Here is what my husband says:
As a man, you need to show your woman/date that you are able to provide for them, by paying for the date. If you cannot afford a dinner and movie, get a better job ya` bum!
My husband made that comment. I was just typing what he said... LOL

Old 05-04-2008, 05:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
how do you guys manage dating costs? I realize that the expectation is for the guy to pick up the full tab of the 1st or 2nd date but how does it go after that? What happens if the woman doesn't contribute even after the 3rd or 4th date? What if the woman is unemployed or has a much lower paying job?

Given that dating represents quite an expensive investment for a guy what criteria do you use to ask only those women who are truly interested in you?
I wait for them to express interest in me. After that, I have no problem footing the bills. I've never had a girlfriend that had an actual job. I'm her job.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wait for them to express interest in me. After that, I have no problem footing the bills. I've never had a girlfriend that had an actual job. I'm her job.
I'm tempted to make you a proposition.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post

I'm now a one-woman man in a serious relationship that I fully expect to end in marriage, and I now pretty much pay for everything...and am happy to do so.
Congratulations!

You have successfully completed your Pre-Nuptial Training.

In case of a pending divorce, return for additional information.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:49 PM

61 posts, read 491,123 times
I'm a girl and have been lower income. I only went dutch after being in a relationship versus just dating. Even then my boyfriend would get frustrated because a lot of the time I couldn't go out. I just couldn't afford it. He made a lot more money than I did. For some reason he couldn't understand that all my money went to bills and I had maybe $20-50 at the end of the month, if I was lucky. Plus he liked all the primping I did with haircolor and some cute clothes for work (JCPenney type) that I could also wear out. That stuff adds up fast, especially if you are low income.

I can see from a guy perspective, if he is lower income, that dating could be a challenge. Once you are in a relationship though, I don't think it would be bad to go dutch. If you are just looking for casual dates, then yes, you should be paying. IMHO

Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nillawafer View Post
Plus he liked all the primping I did with haircolor and some cute clothes for work (JCPenney type) that I could also wear out. That stuff adds up fast, especially if you are low income.
Ha, exactly! It amazes me how men here constantly whine about the cost of dates. Do they have any clue what it costs women to look half-a** decent...?!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Only date rich desperate women, and this will never be a problem.
RFLMAO this was a good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships