Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 10:14 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

There was an interesting Reply All podcast episode about these scammers, where they tracked down one of them: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-...3-love-is-lies (there's a transcript if you don't want to listen.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 05:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
It was really unfortunate on dating websites when some people get to know my real name and automatically label me as a scam.
Like, seriously. I know there is a lot of scam that comes from Southeast Asia and you need to be careful, but I’m not a scammer just because I speak with a different English accent.
I’ve also learned scammers do not exist only in foreign countries. There are lots of scammers who exist within US territory as well. Those are the ones you need to be really careful about.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just got a friend request on FB - guy with western sounding name, but all of his "friends" were from Ethiopia, Yemen, etc. Nothing in the "about" section, he forgot to put in that he was working overseas. Must have been a rookie.
I don't go onto FB very often anymore but recently I have noticed I have an awful lot of friend requests from both men and women with ME sounding names. It seems like it's "in season" right now. I never accept those requests. I think they get my FB from a real life friend of mine who happens to be Muslim. The first time I got one of these requests last year I asked my real life friend if they knew this person, no was the answer. So apparently these people get my name from their FB site or the old spider web trick. Good thing I am not interested in seeing how many "friends" I can chalk up. My little circle is fine, tyvm.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:24 PM

1,265 posts, read 970,683 times
Ive been talking with a Nigerian princess for 3 months, seems legit...

Old 12-23-2020, 02:45 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I’m a 71 year old (married) female and I frequently get friend requests from fit-looking mature men. I’m sure the real individuals behind the photos are “catfishes” and when I change my profile photo to one with my husband I don’t get them.

But when I post a new photo of me alone, I start getting the requests again. Since I don’t share any of my info to the general public and have every possible privacy in place and none of the requestors share friends with me, I can’t figure out how I’m found other than there must be catfishers who simply go up and down the alphabet and approach every vulnerable looking person — the disabled, unattractive and elderly.... sad world but the “victims” really should know better. I guess loneliness can cloud good judgement.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:01 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Wink sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’m a 71 year old (married) female and I frequently get friend requests from fit-looking mature men. I’m sure the real individuals behind the photos are “catfishes” and when I change my profile photo to one with my husband I don’t get them.

But when I post a new photo of me alone, I start getting the requests again. Since I don’t share any of my info to the general public and have every possible privacy in place and none of the requestors share friends with me, I can’t figure out how I’m found other than there must be catfishers who simply go up and down the alphabet and approach every vulnerable looking person — the disabled, unattractive and elderly.... sad world but the “victims” really should know better. I guess loneliness can cloud good judgement.

Please, go back to my post. I think all these men belong to the same club. Now, they are asking for Bit Coins, Steam Cards, and every card available that one can send them with a code. Then, they will disappear once the card money value is used. I most tell you: Some of them are excellent at it.....they use every trick available, and are so nice and endearing that only very -strong women can subjugate them......also, in addition to the monetary cards, they want to send the money from their country to your home, so they can come for it, and cash it for USA money. However, this only happens once they are able to trust one, implicitly, that one will not take their money.......if this is true.....these men are complete professionals usually using the Military, Surgeons, and every- top position that has prestige. They take the photograph of a very -handsome man, and the name of a prestigious person from different countries, and make one believe they are that person......true professionals at the game. Let all your friends now...about it.....

Old 12-28-2020, 06:32 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Please, go back to my post. I think all these men belong to the same club. Now, they are asking for Bit Coins, Steam Cards, and every card available that one can send them with a code. Then, they will disappear once the card money value is used. I most tell you: Some of them are excellent at it.....they use every trick available, and are so nice and endearing that only very -strong women can subjugate them......also, in addition to the monetary cards, they want to send the money from their country to your home, so they can come for it, and cash it for USA money. However, this only happens once they are able to trust one, implicitly, that one will not take their money.......if this is true.....these men are complete professionals usually using the Military, Surgeons, and every- top position that has prestige. They take the photograph of a very -handsome man, and the name of a prestigious person from different countries, and make one believe they are that person......true professionals at the game. Let all your friends now...about it.....
Likely some of the scamers are also women

Old 02-19-2021, 08:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I know some people fall for some of these. But sometimes when you read the details - you wonder how some people could be that silly to fall for some of these things...

Anyone that is lonely, feels unloved, is unattractive, has multitude of problems can be an easy prey. these people are extremely well-taught on how to put their answers so candidly that can make anyone with any or all of the above to fall for it. They all have read Romance Novels, and exactly how to address any situation. They give their prey over a month to get used to them, they send flowers, love songs, beautiful romantic sayings, and speak to their preys, as if they have know them for years........waiting for the right time, and then it may start by asking you for $50 ecard to call their son, daughter, then they begin to go further, until they finally will ask for a return-trip ticket to come to see their prey, and return back to their country. But, they must likely live in Dallas, Texas, and are just going for the BEST ACTOR OF THE YEAR award.

Many are from the Armed Forces, and usually they would chose a photograph of a man that has the best qualities: educated, great sense of humor, well- spoken, with a beautiful voice, well-dressed, extremely handsome, and tall..... Your age......nothing to worry about. One could be in the nineties.......the older, the easier for them to scam them...... they have no heart......proceed with caution..... It is easier for them to find people on Facebook, because one has to give more personal information, including photos, and myriad of of what one does for a living, along with what music is enjoyed by them, etc. So they are ahead of the information they need.

In a place like City-Data, it would be much more difficult for them to operate.....but then one never knows.....all I can say is that they are MASTERS at their TRADE.....fantastic IMPOSTORS.....I feel sorry for young women, and the over 60 crowd.......that can be more easily swayed....

Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I don't understand how people will send money to a stranger. My known relatives couldn't get me to lend them a $20.

I am sure these people who are sending money to strangers on the internet are just lovely people, but it's hard for me not to see them as hugely foolish.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Likely some of the scamers are also women
Or at least pretend to be female!

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships