Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Embarrassing name goof-up. What should I do?
Approach him, explain what happened and apologize? 18 56.25%
Just start using his correct name? 11 34.38%
Just don't use his name when I talk to him? 0 0%
Keep calling him by the wrong name? 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny as he!!. I do the same as "Bill" does. I went so long at a store that I began answering to what they thought my name was. They felt terrible, I thought it was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,449 times
When you think about it, he must be a pretty good guy to let you keep calling him by the wrong name without getting his shorts all tied in a knot and making you feel foolish.

We all make faux pas in life. Thank him for being so easygoing about it and ask him if you can be the only person in the world who calls him Bill, like it's a special honor for both of you.

I have a platonic friendship with a lady that goes back over 45 years. I call her by her family nickname that no one else ever calls her because I've known her since we were teenagers. She calls me by a nickname version of my real name that no one else has ever called me, even my wife. When we email or send greeting cards we both use the others formal "adult" real name, but when we're together in person we call each other by the nickname. All kinds of stuff develops in longterm friendships.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
That is hysterical!!!! I just love it. The idea that he's allowed you to call him by the wrong name for so long just makes me smile. Sounds like a nice man, who has never wanted to embarrass you. I'd say something. If he had been offended, he'd have said something 10 years ago. You two can now have a great laugh over this. And, maybe he likes having another name - not all of us get to try out new names.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I am sure he feels just as awkward as you do. It probably has gotten so long he feels silly to say anything to you. Just apologize and be over it. It will make a great laugh.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times
I would just call him by his real name and just let it ride.. I know I have been called a different name a time or two.. and I just let it roll... the girl eventually called me by my real name.. but what the hey.. call me Joe Blow if you want.. just dont call me late for dinner!!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I once referred to my current GF by the name of one of her best friends; a girl who happens to be one of my friends as well and whom I have known for like four years prior to meeting my GF. The GF and I were only together for a few months at that time, and I swear on everything Holy that I do not, nor did I ever, have an attraction to her friend.

I also referred to the GF I had prior to my current GF by the name of a former GF from years ago. Then there was one time when I completely forgot her name. Why? I dunno. My defense was that I was drunk

Then again, when I was younger I always forgot people's names--even my best friends and kids that I hung out with on a daily basis. I would just draw a blank and for the life of me could not recall their name. I knew them, how I knew them, how good of friends we were and all of that--just at times not their names. Kind of annoying. It's not my memory as I can recall instances from the past in almost exact detail and one time I got off the train in a random city in Poland, had an awesome time, then five years later I was back in Poland and remembered which stop to get off at, how far to walk down street X before turning this way or that way, etc. I dunno, I remember things and not names. I give directions by landmarks and unless I am totally familiar with an area I need to receive directions by either distances or landmarks as well.

So, to answer the OP's question. Just play it cool. Claim to be stoned if that helps

Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanchampion View Post
i just find it wierd that he didn't correct you on that a loooooong time ago...
I am in this same situation but on Fred's end. We have lived in our new home for over a year and a half. My one neighbor calls me by Jenny which is no where near my real name. Tried having my husband call me by real name really loud in her presence, tried having the kids do it. Finally gave up, she still calls me Jenny to this day and I answer to it. I personally don't want to embarrass her over it. If she ever figures it out, I will just let it go. Life is too short to worry over it.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Thanks for all the responses. I guess he's been embarrassed to say anything either. Anyway, I guess I'll take a deep breath and tell him I realized what I've been doing. He is a very nice man.

After reading movingtohouston's post I wondered if he made up the phone call to give me a clue.....

Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
just come clean, laugh about it and move on. why are people so afraid of being honest?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,446 times
I have a guy that calls me Shawn, which is nowhere near my real name. I have actually been talking to other people and him at the same time, and they use my real name infront of him. But it never fails, every day he says "Hey Shawn!" and I have to say good morning. I don't bother correcting him... I mean, at least he says hi at all I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships