Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 03:50 PM

574 posts, read 376,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure - why not?

Just be glad you're not a 55 year old woman because the only prospects you'd have would be at least 70 years old!

I found the same thing. We may be older but what we find attractive does not change as much over the years. When I was 20, I was never attracted to anybody's grandmother. And now being a grandfather, I am still not attracted to grandmothers. Mom's maybe but most of them want much younger men. And its obvious, old codgers loosing their hair, long in the tooth and always complaining about anything are not going to make them weak in the knees. Except maybe from running the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 04:01 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I thought that there were some dating websites dedicated to the 50 plus crowd? I've never done OLD and I've heard mixed reviews over the years. I'm 51 and one of my friends is a couple of years older and he didn't seem to have too much problem with women, he's an average joe, not rich, I mean doing ok, but like I said, an average joe.

I haven't read through the thread but I'm sure the OLD thing has probably been mentioned already, I'm guessing.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:49 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am fit for my age, but I am bald. This is apparently a turn off for some women.

Fisherman99,

Are you looking for someone to marry eventually?

I don't think any guy out there appeals to *all* women. You are fishing in the "OK with or likes bald" pond. I agree with most, get rid of the fringe, don't just buzz it, shave it off entirely. A beard can help some bald guys look better, although not knowing you and not even having a picture, I wouldn't recommend a beard, but I would recommend thinking about it or trying it, Lord knows you can always buzz it off and then be clean shaven again in a few minutes.
Getting into excellent physical condition, to include aerobic and weight bearing exercise, is it's own reward, and while it does actually turn off some women, as for me, I don't want to date a gal who prefers the "Teddy Bear" look to the "Grizzly Bear" look!

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 02-05-2021 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 05:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I found the same thing. We may be older but what we find attractive does not change as much over the years. When I was 20, I was never attracted to anybody's grandmother. And now being a grandfather, I am still not attracted to grandmothers. Mom's maybe but most of them want much younger men. And its obvious, old codgers loosing their hair, long in the tooth and always complaining about anything are not going to make them weak in the knees. Except maybe from running the other way.
I'm sure you were you just did not know they were a grandmother, there have always been people blessed by genetics, but seriously I see more hott seniors today than I ever have but I think it's because cosmetic surgery is more accessible than it's ever been, when Boomers started retiring the tighten and stretch doctors saw a cash cow and now they have gotten good enough it's hard to tell who has had work done(except for those that over do it). I'm 50 and have seen women pushing 70 who look in their 40's(unless you see their stark white roots or focus on their hands)

Old 02-05-2021, 06:40 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Getting into excellent physical condition, to include aerobic and weight bearing exercise, is it's own reward, and while it does actually turn off some women, as for me, I don't want to date a gal who prefers the "Teddy Bear" look to the "Grizzly Bear" look!
I don't think anyone would want to date someone who prefers {whatever physical/personality trait they don't have}. I mean, if you have long blonde hair, you aren't going to be happy if you end up with a guy who goes for brunettes with pixie cuts. If you're super-serious, and the woman you're dating says she's into comedians, that's not going to feel too great. Everybody wants to be with someone who likes them for who they are, and nobody wants to feel like their partner is always wishing they were something different.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I would like to shrug off the (5-day) recovery as nothing but in truth it was a dreadful experience and a huge, HUGE inconvenience, considering what I could have been doing instead. I don't wish it on anyone.

Yes, I have, and will continue to, go for rapid antibody blood tests (finger prick), which take about 15 minutes at my local Harris Teeter supermarket pharmacies (part of the Kroger chain). They continually pop negative, as they should, with no active or recent infection.

This is good news but also very suspicious because I am out and about daily, in contact with various people, and it seems impossible to have not been re-exposed at some point. But should the virus show up again, my immune system has the instructions for how to make antibodies, as it does for every other infection it has seen.

The mutations do not worry me because that's what viruses do as they burn themselves out. It is normal for them to become more contagious while simultaneously getting weaker. They are just trying to survive, like the rest of us.

For those reasons, I will not be getting vaccinated because I am confident I am already protected, not to mention distrustful of experimental drugs. I will wait and see what happens to everyone else, before going that route. Hopefully I will not be fighting off their animated corpses with sharp sticks. (Just kidding, of course.)

Hmmm... that's actually a possible topic of conversation while standing on line.
I like you, FairfaxGuy. There's something very sensible and grounded about you, while also upbeat, energetic, and intelligent.

Don't worry; I'm nowhere near the E Coast.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:03 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
Thank you; I am flattered.

And now, when someone says, "Describe yourself," instead of drawing my usual blank, I will say, "Well, I am sensible and grounded, yet upbeat, energetic -- oh, and intelligent.

I am genuinely thankful to you right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I like you, FairfaxGuy. There's something very sensible and grounded about you, while also upbeat, energetic, and intelligent.

Don't worry; I'm nowhere near the E Coast.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:17 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
From what I've seen in the dating world, unattached men have more success than unattached women. OP, once you get going, you'll probably have your pick of women to date. A 55 year old man can still attract any number of women, and the age range is much greater because you can date people as young as 30-40's.

You can try Meetups which are a range of events such as hiking to wine and cheese events. You can take a cooking class or join a club of some sort. A lot of women like book clubs (not my thing) but you can try that. If you're physically active, start out by joining the local pool or take a yoga class or dance class. When I was doing yoga, there were a few men in the class and one was an ex-football player.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:28 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
One more thing. OP, you said, "find a companion". I've found that "companion" can mean almost anything in the dating world so I think you should take some time to think a little bit about what kind of "companion" you're looking for. Dating is difficult when one or both parties aren't honest about their goals and expectations. It's fine to go out and explore the dating world a little bit in order to look around and meet people and build your confidence but in the long run, what are you actually looking for? Because it can be a complete waste of your time (and the other women's time) if you don't know what you want. It also helps you narrow down the playing field.

I dated a man who ended up wanting "friends with benefits"--a companion to do things with and have regular sex but he didn't want to commit himself to a potential long term relationship towards marriage. I wasn't clear with him about what I wanted. I was newly back to the dating scene and at first I was happy to just date someone. But I quickly got tired of him and his attitude that I was good enough to sleep with but not good enough to love madly and marry. I ended up dumping him, but regretted that I let it go on too long. I think I should have sized him up better from the start.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2021, 11:02 AM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Lots of good suggestions. As one poster mentioned, the pool of available women is very small for this age group. Women have more pressures to get married early and are more committed to stay married than men. This means there are few single women in this age group. When I was in my 30's, they were throwing themselves at me. Now I am utterly alone.
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're dramatizing things. There are plenty of middle-aged women who are asking/demanding where the men have gone. And people's situations are much more varied than "women marry young, men are less committed."

Quote:
There is still one option left: marrying a foreigner.
Is that less desirable? A downgrade? Is there a particular nationality you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships