Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,784,797 times

Advertisements

I guess the other thread about remaining friends with exes reminded me of this:

Recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who's friends with all her exes on social media (not that are that many). She was telling me how she had just found out that her most recent ex has been blocking his new posts from her for the past few months. This to me was odd for a few reasons: One, if you're going to do that then why not just unfriend the person on social media? Two, she really didn't interact with him on there (or anywhere) after the breakup (i.e. liking his posts or commenting) other than liking one post after which he started hiding his posts from her, yet he was liking all her posts and still does!

Clearly he doesn't want her to see what he's posting for whatever reason and I guess that's understandable since they're not together anymore but then why still remain friends on social media? She said they don't keep in touch and they have not interaction. Oh, I should add she has unfriended him since she found this out, but this story threw me a bit haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,260,260 times
Sounds like power play. He wants to keep tabs on her and even assert some dominance (by liking her posts) while keeping her in the dark on his own comings and goings.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:14 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,784,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Sounds like power play. He wants to keep tabs on her and even assert some dominance (by liking her posts) while keeping her in the dark on his own comings and goings.
Yup, that's what I told her. You really gotta have a pair to do something like that and not think the other person would eventually catch on.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:48 PM

6,394 posts, read 3,866,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I guess the other thread about remaining friends with exes reminded me of this:

Recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who's friends with all her exes on social media (not that are that many). She was telling me how she had just found out that her most recent ex has been blocking his new posts from her for the past few months. This to me was odd for a few reasons: One, if you're going to do that then why not just unfriend the person on social media? Two, she really didn't interact with him on there (or anywhere) after the breakup (i.e. liking his posts or commenting) other than liking one post after which he started hiding his posts from her, yet he was liking all her posts and still does!

Clearly he doesn't want her to see what he's posting for whatever reason and I guess that's understandable since they're not together anymore but then why still remain friends on social media? She said they don't keep in touch and they have not interaction. Oh, I should add she has unfriended him since she found this out, but this story threw me a bit haha!
Could be many reasons. Maybe he has a new girlfriend and doesn't think she'll react well to that. Maybe he's posting some private things to certain people and she and he are no longer close enough for him to share those things with her. How does she know there aren't other people he blocks from certain posts? Maybe that's just what he does, tailors his posts to certain audiences.

As for why doesn't he just unfriend? Because that's fraught with drama and politics. People get offended when you unfriend them ("why did you unfriend me? What did I do? I feel rejected. I will send you a new friend request as if maybe you just unfriended me by accident"-- BTDT); easier just to "unfollow" them or block them from seeing certain posts. Or, if there are only *some* things that he posts that he doesn't want her to see, he may not see the point in unfriending completely.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:52 AM

19,388 posts, read 12,029,585 times
I don't know what people are getting from this.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 PM

9 posts, read 24,000 times
Man, some people really need to get a life..

Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,639,404 times
This is why I only try to keep it real and only keep friends on FB I can actually talk with. If I'm not feeling it, I unfriend and don't care if they like it or not. If they get angry or ask why, I let them know 1-1 and even give them room to rebuild, but on my terms.

Any professional is Linked. Anything else is just well maybe I have an account set aside for acquaintances and maybe I don't.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 24,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
This is why I only try to keep it real and only keep friends on FB I can actually talk with. If I'm not feeling it, I unfriend and don't care if they like it or not. If they get angry or ask why, I let them know 1-1 and even give them room to rebuild, but on my terms.

Any professional is Linked. Anything else is just well maybe I have an account set aside for acquaintances and maybe I don't.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships