Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a wedding. Ceremony and reception are at the same place, a lovely old historical inn.

The bride-to-be let it slip that actually she and her groom will already have been married by the time they get to the inn. They are having a separate wedding ceremony at a church earlier in the day. Some of her wedding guests have been invited to the church, but most have not.

They are "pretending" that the second ceremony at the inn is their actual wedding.

The wedding invite clearly says it's a wedding and not a vow renewal.

I think the whole thing is tacky. What do you think? Is it wrong to "pretend" you are exchanging wedding vows for the first time even though you're already married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 11:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
This does sound unusual. When I first saw your thread title, I thought it was about renewing vows upon some anniversary milestone, but that's not the case here. Aside from being unusual, it's dishonest, deceptive. What's not too unusual, is to invite one group for the actual wedding, then have the reception in a separate location, with a larger number of people attending. But that doesn't describe this situation, either.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Are either of the couples a member of a super-strict or fringe religion?

I had a remotely/slightly similar situation where the groom was a super strict Catholic or a particular ethnic group that often takes it even a couple steps further. The couple had been married in a civil ceremony but never admitted it and then got everyone to believe the church wedding was the first.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Are either of the couples a member of a super-strict or fringe religion?

I had a remotely/slightly similar situation where the groom was a super strict Catholic or a particular ethnic group that often takes it even a couple steps further. The couple had been married in a civil ceremony but never admitted it and then got everyone to believe the church wedding was the first.
No, that doesn't apply in this situation.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
My ex's daughter did something similar, but got married in secret two months before their actual destination wedding. I can't imagine having the gall to ask people to spend $$$$ and vacation time for a destination wedding when the bride and groom are already married.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 AM

Is it being prompted somehow by current COVID restrictions?

Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
It doesn’t sound THAT weird. Maybe the chapel in the church is small and they don’t have much room? The civil ceremony is for the rest of their friends. Just go along and enjoy the event. It’ll probably make more sense later.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This does sound unusual. When I first saw your thread title, I thought it was about renewing vows upon some anniversary milestone, but that's not the case here. Aside from being unusual, it's dishonest, deceptive. What's not too unusual, is to invite one group for the actual wedding, then have the reception in a separate location, with a larger number of people attending. But that doesn't describe this situation, either.
Yeah, we've been invited to wedding celebrations and not been invited to the actual ceremony and that was clearly communicated to us.

I'm just annoyed because we've already paid for the hotel room/transportation to attend the wedding. We were excited to attend the wedding. Had we known this was simply a reception/party/vow renewal/re-enactment, we would've skipped it.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:54 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
For me, the reception/party is the best part of the wedding day. I'd gladly skip the vows/ceremony and head straight to the party!

Old 03-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Yeah, we've been invited to wedding celebrations and not been invited to the actual ceremony and that was clearly communicated to us.

I'm just annoyed because we've already paid for the hotel room/transportation to attend the wedding. We were excited to attend the wedding. Had we known this was simply a reception/party/vow renewal/re-enactment, we would've skipped it.
I don't know all the details, but it seems weird to characterize it as a vow renewal. It seems like they're having a tiny private ceremony for some undisclosed reason but then a larger one PLUS the reception that includes everyone. I guess I just am willing, in these current times, to give their reasons the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships