Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Anyone who spends $500+ a month on anything they can't afford--pot, clothes, jewelry, shoes, gambling, alcohol, ANYTHING-- has a deeper problem.
I am a daily smoker and can't imagine spending $500 a month on weed. That's like 1/3 of a pound!

Are you sure that number is right?

You need to get some mental health help. It sounds like you should be under the care of a physician for your anxiety, anger and depression. And if CBD/THC helps you, medical marijuana may also be the answer. You don't have to smoke it you know. They have patches and tinctures. Treat it as a pharmaceutical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 10:04 AM

379 posts, read 155,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am a daily smoker and can't imagine spending $500 a month on weed. That's like 1/3 of a pound!

Are you sure that number is right?

You need to get some mental health help. It sounds like you should be under the care of a physician for your anxiety, anger and depression. And if CBD/THC helps you, medical marijuana may also be the answer. You don't have to smoke it you know. They have patches and tinctures. Treat it as a pharmaceutical.
Yes, I’m seeking help for my depression. And I know people that easily spend $1k+ per month so $500 (essentially $120/week) isn’t some unheard of figure for two people. I didn’t even factor in gas money or wear and tear on one’s car or wrappers, etc.

At this point in my life, I want nothing to do with CBD/THC.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
She has stayed with me through the depression/anxiety/name calling and I just hate the idea of then giving up on her. However, I feel her level (actually OUR level since she didn’t force me) of marijuana usage is partially responsible for my mental health hitting rock bottom. It feels like it has burned me out emotionally and left me seeing everything related to intoxication as just a filthy lifestyle. And I’m pretty sure she’s not going to go cold turkey on the couple friends she has that use marijuana multiple times daily. We smoked with them EVERY time we saw them so as ETwist mentions, I do worry if she will simply hide it from me like she has her family for 10+ years.

Are you saying that you think the marijuana usage is what is/was causing your anxiety? Like it somehow altered your brain chemistry, even after stopping?

I'm no expert on pot, however, I'm wondering if your revulsion, depression, etc., is more about getting into a lifestyle you have always believed to be wrong, is more responsible for all your negative feelings and such, rather than the actual pot.

It's a lifestyle you don't approve of, fundamentally. And of course, that's OK. You feel how you feel...but I'm thinking it's more about how you feel (because you mentioned morality) than the actual pot. I feel like I'm not being clear...I don't think the pot itself is causing your anxiety, depression, etc. It's that, to you, it represents a degenerate lifestyle, and you can't reconcile that in your head.

If you can't reconcile that in your head, than I don't know how you'll ever be happy with your girlfriend, unless she can somehow prove to you that she has quit for good.

I know plenty of people who consume marijuana in one way or another, and they're as responsible as anyone you would know...and smoke once in a great while myself...but if the whole thing icks you out...get out of the relationship.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:56 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Are you saying that you think the marijuana usage is what is/was causing your anxiety? Like it somehow altered your brain chemistry, even after stopping?

I'm no expert on pot, however, I'm wondering if your revulsion, depression, etc., is more about getting into a lifestyle you have always believed to be wrong, is more responsible for all your negative feelings and such, rather than the actual pot.

It's a lifestyle you don't approve of, fundamentally. And of course, that's OK. You feel how you feel...but I'm thinking it's more about how you feel (because you mentioned morality) than the actual pot. I feel like I'm not being clear...I don't think the pot itself is causing your anxiety, depression, etc. It's that, to you, it represents a degenerate lifestyle, and you can't reconcile that in your head.

If you can't reconcile that in your head, than I don't know how you'll ever be happy with your girlfriend, unless she can somehow prove to you that she has quit for good.

I know plenty of people who consume marijuana in one way or another, and they're as responsible as anyone you would know...and smoke once in a great while myself...but if the whole thing icks you out...get out of the relationship.
Great post. Yes, I think this level of aversion is a little extreme and may reflect something else going on. I sense a touch of OCD...?

Marijuana is not a huge big deal to most people. People use it for a variety of reasons, and nowadays you can select the strain you prefer to get what you need out of it...pain relief, anti anxiety, sleep support, energy, etc.

I'm a little baffled at your negative reaction to the substance, when it seems your problem is the way your life and friendships were revolving around it. That seems like a fairly easy fix.

Take a step back, maybe, and get some perspective.

And I'm still not convinced you know people who are buying weed by the half pound.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Can’t say I disagree. I was raised by parents who I’ve never even seen take a drink of alcohol. My grandfather was a horrible alcoholic so my mom has always told us to stay away from drugs/alcohol. Perhaps it’s for the better because I do think I have an addictive personality. My GF on the other hand was raised around alcohol addiction yet her family likes to drink. Her step dad and BIL for example are alcoholics but still loved by the family. Her mom likes drinking wine/mixed drinks socially....the type that will buy a bottle as a baby shower gift saying the future mom will need it. My GF started messing with alcohol and drugs in her teens...she considers it normal. So yes there is likely some moral disagreement.

Just this morning she has smoked twice. I don’t know what to do.

BTW — not sure if there’s a lasting chemistry alteration. I’m done with marijuana myself but I’m sure it takes some time to fully get over whatever it may have done.

Last edited by Doncicmavsfan; 03-26-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Great post. Yes, I think this level of aversion is a little extreme and may reflect something else going on. I sense a touch of OCD...?

Marijuana is not a huge big deal to most people. People use it for a variety of reasons, and nowadays you can select the strain you prefer to get what you need out of it...pain relief, anti anxiety, sleep support, energy, etc.

I'm a little baffled at your negative reaction to the substance, when it seems your problem is the way your life and friendships were revolving around it. That seems like a fairly easy fix.

Take a step back, maybe, and get some perspective.

And I'm still not convinced you know people who are buying weed by the half pound.
I have a child — I don’t think I can afford to make a decision on it being a big deal or not. If I didn’t have a child and family who totally disagree with it — I might take a “no big deal” attitude.

I’m having terrible anxiety about this...I keep thinking about “what if” scenarios...like what if my GF got busted for possession or something...even with me not around...wouldn’t there be fingers pointing at me for living with this person? What if she gets in a wreck and they test her blood or she has something in the car? I can’t see my ex not hitting the ceiling with anger/concern when my GFs mug shot hits social media.

BTW — who said anything about a 1/2 pound? You do know it can be bought $40-50 at a time right? That adds up if you need more every few days and occasionally share with friends.

Last edited by Doncicmavsfan; 03-26-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
I have a child — I don’t think I can afford to make a decision on it being a big deal or not. If I didn’t have a child and family who totally disagree with it — I might take a “no big deal” attitude.

I’m having terrible anxiety about this...I keep thinking about “what if” scenarios...like what if my GF got busted for possession or something...even with me not around...wouldn’t there be fingers pointing at me for living with this person? What if she gets in a wreck and they test her blood or she has something in the car? I can’t see my ex not hitting the ceiling with anger/concern when my GFs mug shot hits social media.

BTW — who said anything about a 1/2 pound? You do know it can be bought $40-50 at a time right? That adds up if you need more every few days and occasionally share with friends.

Dude, you are miserable. You can't deal with this. You can't have a relaxed attitude about it, and you're imagining the worst. Break up with her already.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Dude, you are miserable. You can't deal with this. You can't have a relaxed attitude about it, and you're imagining the worst. Break up with her already.
So you believe I should consider a relaxed attitude about decisions that can impact an innocent child’s life forever? I don’t think a judge would be so open minded toward marijuana use in the household.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
so ”We tried to get pregnant” but you're not married, and she smokes up all her money?

Oh Kayyy.

Let me throw some clues your way.

1) Marry first, then have baby.
2) Don't commingle finances unless you're married.
3) Since you have a child of your own, keep all indiscretions at least a mile from the flagpole.
4) Only marry someone if you're convinced their values line up with yours.
5) See (1) and (2).

Will you pick these clues up and run with them? I rather doubt it.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:02 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
So you believe I should consider a relaxed attitude about decisions that can impact an innocent child’s life forever? I don’t think a judge would be so open minded toward marijuana use in the household.
I don’t blame you for being concerned, especially if you live somewhere that is unlikely to decriminalize it in the near future. Still, that gives you no right to berate your GF.

You should probably break things off with her, stop smoking it, and get your mind in a more balanced place.

Be businesslike. Move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships